All-Ireland SFC Quarter Final Mayo v Cork

Started by RedandGreenSniper, July 24, 2011, 04:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

borderfox

Mayo are always capable of doing something like this (even though I thought it wouldn't be against Cork). I hope they can keep it up the next day because that today was sensational.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 31, 2011, 06:54:53 PM
Football is 80% in the head and mayo  believed today. Fair f**ks to them.

When the Cork boys saw two O'Sheas playing midfield for Mayo they must have known there would be trouble ahead.

ross matt

Congratulations Mayo. Knew ye were in with a chance because like I said before Horan has moulded this in to a much mentally tougher Mayo team than we've seen before and they're improving with every match. Puts all the negative criticism of Connacht football in to perspective now. Mayo have really genuine and loyal supporters. Delighted for those here like Moysider, Lar, MGHU, Blast etc and the others.

Stevie g 8

Mayo really wanted it more than cork and fully deserved their victory.cork thought it was going to be another route like the down game when they went 4 up and were in complete control and then just stopped playing and couldn't get going again

Canalman

In all fairness, the Mayo supporters didn't travel today in any great numbers so it wasn't just the "meeja" that had them written off. Alot easier though to give "the two fingers" to the Aunt Sallies in the media.

And yes I know today is Reek Sunday.

Jinxy

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on July 31, 2011, 07:21:55 PM
In Kinnegad on the way home. Well done to James Horan and his team. The players have shown us all what they are about. The chest is well out this evening! Unreal!

Good girl yourself.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mckieran

Quotea free out in my opinion.

How on earth was it a free out???? To me it was penalty. I cannot see on what grounds it could possible have been a free out?

Quotetwo fingers up to a whole lot of clueless d**kheads in the media today indeed.

The media predicted a Cork win because all form suggested that Cork would win. This craic of Mayo people saying nobody gave them a chance is bullshit. People gave them an outside chance of winning and they did it. But come on, Who in their right mind would have predicted a Mayo win today? I wouldnt blame any journalist for opting for Cork to win. If there were pundits that were saying Cork were going to wipe the floor with Mayo, then that would be a different story. But anything I read or heard suggested that Mayo were capable of putting in a performance; something which I agreed with. I didnt think the performance would be quite so good but there you go....

I'll re-iterate that I thought Trevor Mortimer had an absolutely huge influence on that game today. Keeping kelly quiet is one thing but he always seemed to take the right option when he was the ball (unlike Aidan O'Se for example). It was an absolutely wonderful performance by him. Moran was excellent too but Canavan was making the point that Shields should not have been left on him and it was a strange decision alright. Doherty's introduction came at perfect timing for Mayo too; He caused a lot of damage when introduced. I am a fan of McLoughlin having seen him play a number of times and I did question why he was in the forwards this year (He always excelled at no.7 when I saw him) but that was one hell of a goal.

David Brady is becoming one of my favourite pundits; "I'm not condoning violence but Mayo need to get stuck in from the start". He was saying on Newstalk yesterday that he wants to be an inter county manager one day; cant wait to see what his team is like out on the pitch!

mylestheslasher

I thought the ref did a good job in this game. The cork peno was definitely called correct. The one mayo wanted was outside the box. The sending off for miskila was also correct. Well done ref.

Canalman

Thought at the time that the Mayo lad had taken too many steps for the goal, look forward to seeing it again tonight on the SG.

Well deserved win by the way.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Just read somewhere before today, only Kerry have beaten Cork in the Championship in the last 7 years, surely that cannot be true.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

redandblack4ever

Well done to Mayo. Great football to watch. Youse really put some manners in Cork today. Lovely to see. I reckon Cork just figured they have to show up and they had this game won. Oh, well.. :D :D :D

I had a feeling all week that this would happen. One year ago today, Down beat Kerry, under very similiar circumstances. Why couldn't it happen again I said. Too bad I didn't put any money on Mayo, but the boyos here in Chicago weren't interested.

Congrats to the players and the backroom team.

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

Rossfan

Not any more  ;)
But it was true. Fermanagh bet Cork in 04 I believe
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: mckieran on July 31, 2011, 07:34:25 PM
Quotea free out in my opinion.

It appeared to me that Donncha O'Connor was dragging Keith Higgins in the square.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Rossfan on July 31, 2011, 07:42:51 PM
Not any more  ;)
But it was true. Fermanagh bet Cork in 04 I believe

Well thats an amazing stat. almost as amazing as it would be Mayo that what end that run

INDIANA

hopefully mayo fans will support their team in the semi.

Pity a lot of them gave up on them.