Great day for Munster Football

Started by Kerry Mike, July 23, 2011, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

QuoteMunster football is a poor relation when compared with Leinster and Ulster. Yes it has the best two teams in Ireland but its also overrun with very bad ones.

I'd be very insulted if I was from Waterford, Tipperary, Cork or Clare.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

The Burner

Quote from: ck on July 25, 2011, 10:18:18 PM
Munster football is a poor relation when compared with Leinster and Ulster. Yes it has the best two teams in Ireland but its also overrun with very bad ones.

3 Munster teams in the quarter finals, You cant argue with that. Leinster and Ulster are more competitive because you have a lot of teams on the same average level. Where as in Munster we have Cork and Kerry to contend with. If Limerick had been in connacht or Leinster we would definatley have a provincial title.

Jinxy

Limerick wouldn't come within an asses roar of a Leinster championship.
Don't kid yourself you're anything special just because you jammed a win over WEXFORD.
By rights there should be 3 Leinster, 1 Connacht, 2 Ulster and 2 Munster teams in the quarters.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2011, 05:24:28 PM
Don't kid yourself you're anything special just because you jammed a win over WEXFORD.
By rights there should be 3 Leinster, 1 Connacht, 2 Ulster and 2 Munster teams in the quarters.

Limerick would most certainly have won a Leinster championship in the past ten years had they been in the province, probably more than one.

Jinxy

Don't be silly.
There is no Dublin team of the last 10 years that would lose to them.
You are placing way too much weight on Limerick occasionally putting it up to Cork and Kerry before they have got into full stride.

Zulu

They put it up to both every year and beat Cork in cork and should have beaten them again except for 2 late goals, if memory serves me. Believe me cork and Kerry were in full stride when meeting Limerick in munster finals. They'd have beaten dublin at least once, of that I'm sure.

Jinxy

Which Dublin team would they have beaten?

The Burner

Quote from: Jinxy on July 26, 2011, 05:24:28 PM

Sorry should clarify, Not this year but if we had of been in leinster championship since we have been competitive. Around 2003. We would have walked the leinster in 2004. We had a serious team then that broke up once Kearns left.

Frank Casey

Quote from: The Burner on July 26, 2011, 05:57:46 PM
Sorry should clarify, Not this year but if we had of been in leinster championship since we have been competitive. Around 2003. We would have walked the leinster in 2004. We had a serious team then that broke up once Kearns left.

And if your aunty had balls what would you have??

I know I should defend another Munster man against any opposition but I can't agree with you. Limerick failed their true test during the Kearns era. They had Kerry on the ropes and let them slip for a draw, before being taken in a replay. That was the one, and only, day that I worried about Limerick.
KERRY 3:7

Zulu

Jinx I couldn't name a particular team but the fact remains that Limerick had, maybe still do, a very good championship team over the past ten years. They could have won any of the provinces over the past ten years. I don't see how you can be sure Limerick wouldn't have beaten Dublin at least once when they were very competitive against better teams (Kerry & cork). At the very least that suggests they would have been competitive against everyone in Leinster and the law of averages would make it likely that they would have won at least one. We'll never know but they were far better over the past ten years than you are crediting them with.

Dinny Breen

Limerick Championship Results outside Munster
Limerick    0-07 - 0-17    Westmeath
Limerick    3-09 - 2-07    Offaly
Mayo    0-13 - 1-09    Limerick
Armagh   4-10      Limerick   0-11
Derry    0-10 - 0-07    Limerick
Limerick    2-15 - 0-07    Carlow
Derry    0-13 - 0-09    Limerick
Westmeath    0-13 - 1-09    Limerick
Limerick 0-13 - 0-14    Louth
Limerick    4-12- 4-03    Meath
Limerick    0-11 - 1-11    Kildare
Limerick    2-09 - 1-13    Meath
No non-Munster opposition
Limerick    3-13 - 0-15    Offaly
Limerick    1-18 - 1-17    Wexford

Hardly inspiring stuff, their win against Wexford was their first championship win against a non-Munster side that wasn't played in Limerick in the last 10 years. Not a hope in hell that Limerick would have won a Leinster Title.

#newbridgeornowhere

Zulu

Nonsense, Limerick put their heart and soul into winning munster. After the heartbreak of losing those finals they found it very difficult to pick themselves up. You'll also note they lost a number of games by a point, futher underlining their competitiveness.

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 11:04:15 PM
Limerick Championship Results outside Munster
Limerick    0-07 - 0-17    Westmeath
Limerick    3-09 - 2-07    Offaly
Mayo    0-13 - 1-09    Limerick
Armagh   4-10      Limerick   0-11
Derry    0-10 - 0-07    Limerick
Limerick    2-15 - 0-07    Carlow
Derry    0-13 - 0-09    Limerick
Westmeath    0-13 - 1-09    Limerick
Limerick 0-13 - 0-14    Louth
Limerick    4-12- 4-03    Meath
Limerick    0-11 - 1-11    Kildare
Limerick    2-09 - 1-13    Meath
No non-Munster opposition
Limerick    3-13 - 0-15    Offaly
Limerick    1-18 - 1-17    Wexford

Hardly inspiring stuff, their win against Wexford was their first championship win against a non-Munster side that wasn't played in Limerick in the last 10 years. Not a hope in hell that Limerick would have won a Leinster Title.

I said since 2003. In 04 we were beat by Kerry in a replayed Munster final below in Killarney. Our match against Derry was our 3rd in 3 weeks and were never likely to win it after the disappointment of the Munster final. Mickey Moran to his credit acknowledged as much in his post match interview. If im not mistaken the Leinster champions of 04 Westmeath were beaten by Derry in the quarter final. No doubt in my mind we would have walked Leinster in 04. I genuinely believe Limerick were in the top 5 or 6 counties in 04.

Dinny Breen

Sorry Zulu you can't argue with facts. Their is absolutely no consistency to their performances expect the odd moral victory against Cork or Kerry, you think Meath, Kildare, Louth Mayo, Derry or Westmeath don't put their heart and soul into winning provincial titles? What happened this brilliant side in 2002, 2005 and 2008 when they actually won their first qualifier game and lost their very next one?

You are mistaking the odd performance against 2 sides who are not trying to peak physically or mentally in July and then pay lip service to Limerick. If they were a good side there would some sign of consistency.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Sorry but Laois in 2004 were one of the great under-achieving sides and a far better side with pedigree than Limerick. The Leinster winners that year were Westmeath who like Laois were fulfilling under-age promise, they probably celebrated that Leinster too much and mentally weren't right for Derry. I would bet on Dublin beating Limerick any time in the last 10 years too.
#newbridgeornowhere