Great day for Munster Football

Started by Kerry Mike, July 23, 2011, 09:19:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 11:25:41 PM
Sorry Zulu you can't argue with facts. Their is absolutely no consistency to their performances expect the odd moral victory against Cork or Kerry, you think Meath, Kildare, Louth Mayo, Derry or Westmeath don't put their heart and soul into winning provincial titles? What happened this brilliant side in 2002, 2005 and 2008 when they actually won their first qualifier game and lost their very next one?

You are mistaking the odd performance against 2 sides who are not trying to peak physically or mentally in July and then pay lip service to Limerick. If they were a good side there would some sign of consistency.

convenient you leave out 04, actually throw in 2010 team as well when we had all the hurlers. cracking side. This years team isnt as good.   

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 11:33:57 PM
Sorry but Laois in 2004 were one of the great under-achieving sides and a far better side with pedigree than Limerick. The Leinster winners that year were Westmeath who like Laois were fulfilling under-age promise, they probably celebrated that Leinster too much and mentally weren't right for Derry. I would bet on Dublin beating Limerick any time in the last 10 years too.

Newsflash Dinny Limerick beat Westmeath in u21 all ireland semi final before losing to a great tyrone side in the final. The basis of our 2004 team came from that u21 team. Now how does it feel to have your arse handed to you on a plate by a newbie?

Dinny Breen

Limerick didn't win a qualifier in 2004, Limerick were beaten by Derry, a Derry side even Lynchbhoy would struggle to rate.
#newbridgeornowhere

haze

Have to agree with the Burner on this one, convinced they would have won one. Always really admired that Limerick team, just a pity they never managed to get a Munster. At the very least they would have contested a number of finals especially given the standard of Leinster football over last 10 years.

Their form in narrowly losing to Kerry in Munster final and taking Cork to extra time would suggest that last years Leinster championship would have been up for grabs for them as well.
From the games I saw of both teams last year they were a better team than Louth, who should have been Leinster champions.

For a predominately hurling and rugby county, they deserve any credit that comes there way this year.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: The Burner on July 26, 2011, 11:40:34 PM
Sorry but Laois in 2004 were one of the great under-achieving sides and a far better side with pedigree than Limerick. The Leinster winners that year were Westmeath who like Laois were fulfilling under-age promise, they probably celebrated that Leinster too much and mentally weren't right for Derry. I would bet on Dublin beating Limerick any time in the last 10 years too.

Newsflash Dinny Limerick beat Westmeath in u21 all ireland semi final before losing to a great tyrone side in the final. The basis of our 2004 team came from that u21 team. Now how does it feel to have your arse handed to you on a plate by a newbie?

Eh I'm half Westmeath so I should remind you that Westmeath won the All-Ireland the year before. You know I could say that Limerick have a tenancy to choke in finals even in the hurling since you brought it up so who is to say that they wouldn't have choked in Leinster final if they got that far.

No need to be hostile, just don't think Limerick over the last 10 years apart from the odd moral victory have been anything great, imho they would not have won a Leinster, Connacht or an Ulster title.
#newbridgeornowhere

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 11:42:30 PM
Limerick didn't win a qualifier in 2004, Limerick were beaten by Derry, a Derry side even Lynchbhoy would struggle to rate.

A Derry side that beat the Leinster champions that year!!! After 2 titanic struggles with Kerry that year it was always going to be a huge ask to go out again 6 days later after losing the replay to Kerry in Killarney

Dinny Breen

A Westmeath side that had won their first ever Leinster title, you don't think there was a hang-over when they played Derry. One of their great regrets.
#newbridgeornowhere

haze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 11:48:43 PM

Newsflash Dinny Limerick beat Westmeath in u21 all ireland semi final before losing to a great tyrone side in the final. The basis of our 2004 team came from that u21 team. Now how does it feel to have your arse handed to you on a plate by a newb

Eh I'm half Westmeath so I should remind you that Westmeath won the All-Ireland the year before. You know I could say that Limerick have a tenancy to choke in finals even in the hurling since you brought it up so who is to say that they wouldn't have choked in Leinster final if they got that far.

No need to be hostile, just don't think Limerick over the last 10 years apart from the odd moral victory have been anything great, imho they would not have won a Leinster, Connacht or an Ulster title.

The Burner

I was well aware that they won it the year before but you were the one who brought up underage success. i was merely pointing out that we had under age success aswell. And how the F are you half Westmeath. Your either Kildare or Westmeath. Half Westmeath, what a load of bull

haze

Newsflash Dinny Limerick beat Westmeath in u21 all ireland semi final before losing to a great tyrone side
in the final. The basis of our 2004 team came from that u21 team. Now how does it feel to have your arse handed to you on a plate by a newbie?

Surely would have won a Connacht and thats meant with no disrespect to Connacht championship but to do with the fact only 5 competitors there compared to 11 in Leinster

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 26, 2011, 11:51:34 PM
A Westmeath side that had won their first ever Leinster title, you don't think there was a hang-over when they played Derry. One of their great regrets.

I was at that game and I couldn't believe how lifeless Westmeath were.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: The Burner on July 26, 2011, 11:55:21 PM

I was well aware that they won it the year before but you were the one who brought up underage success. i was merely pointing out that we had under age success aswell. And how the F are you half Westmeath. Your either Kildare or Westmeath. Half Westmeath, what a load of bull

My heritage is Westmeath, a handy link for you http://www.hoganstand.com/Westmeath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=30361

Your underage success was not a patch on Westmeath or Laois in the period proceeding this golden age of Limerick football yet somehow this all transfers into Limerick been capable of winning a Leinster title not even including the culture of winning Leinster titles that is Dublin football. Meh! Enough conjecture the facts speak for themselves.

#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Never mind that ejiot Dinny, anything he has to add was rendered insignificant when he said "No doubt in my mind we would have walked Leinster in 04". IMO, Limerick have serious issues when they are marginally ahead and matches are there to be won in the last ten minutes, they can't kill teams off.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

The Burner

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2011, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: The Burner on July 26, 2011, 11:55:21 PM

My heritage is Westmeath, a handy link for you http://www.hoganstand.com/Westmeath/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=30361

Your underage success was not a patch on Westmeath or Laois in the period proceeding this golden age of Limerick football yet somehow this all transfers into Limerick been capable of winning a Leinster title not even including the culture of winning Leinster titles that is Dublin football. Meh! Enough conjecture the facts speak for themselves.

Dublin were going through a lean patch at that stage and I couldnt care if Joe Dolan was your father. My Mother is from Kerry but by christ Im not half a kerryman.

The Burner

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 27, 2011, 04:03:02 PM
Never mind that ejiot Dinny, anything he has to add was rendered insignificant when he said "No doubt in my mind we would have walked Leinster in 04". IMO, Limerick have serious issues when they are marginally ahead and matches are there to be won in the last ten minutes, they can't kill teams off.

starting your intoduction to the thread by insulting me! Very classy. My abiding memory of Westmeath football is of the u21 football semi final in Portlaoise. Possibly the worst losers I have ever come across, until Wexford this weekend anyway.