Mark McGovern Fund

Started by Gaaboardmod3, July 20, 2011, 06:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

a decent peice by brolly, just a pity he couldnt get his facts straight when mentioning certain clubs involved in  'atrocious incidents'
I certainly agree with the sentiment of the piece, but it does nothing for the credibily of it that he has incriminated certain clubs in the wrong.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gaa-us-attack-victim-now-faces-11m-medical-bill-2848320.html

An inter-county GAA footballer who was left in a coma following an alleged assault during a match in San Francisco is facing medical bills of more than $1.1m (€770,000).

Mark McGovern (22), from Belcoo, Co Fermanagh, was reportedly struck by a rival player during a match in the American city in June and has only recently regained consciousness.

However, police investigating the incident have been unable to find a witness.

The McGovern family is now facing significant medical bills for his treatment and ongoing rehabilitation which is costing almost $4,000 (€2,800) a day.

Mark suffered a severe brain injury from a blow to the head and the damage was so severe that doctors initially believed a blunt instrument had been used.

Speaking from San Francisco last night, his sister Grace said the family were disappointed nobody had come forward with information but their immediate priority was Mark's recovery.

"We have no feelings anymore for that side of things but obviously we are not happy that someone couldn't come forward because we know someone definitely saw it," she said. "I'm sad for these people -- that someone was so badly hurt and they couldn't come forward."

Mark came out of the coma in San Francisco General Hospital in stages over the last two weeks.He first began signalling to those around him and eventually whispering to his girlfriend Jessica (21).

His parents Danny and Josie, and siblings Helen (29), Connie (30) and Grace (25), have been in San Francisco since he was hospitalised seven weeks ago.

"He is flying in comparison to what he was. He is walking by himself and talking although his voice is like someone with a sore throat," said Grace, who had to postpone her wedding due to her brother's condition.

"He is fully aware of what happened and that he was in a coma. At the start he asked one of his friends (what happened) and he just said it was a tackle but he is now being more inquisitive and he knows it was an attack."

Mark is currently undergoing speech, occupational and physical therapy.

The family is eager to thank everyone who has helped them and those who wish to contribute to Mark's fund can visit www.support4markmcgovern. com.

With costs now running at around €770,000, fundraising events are being planned by the Irish community in San Francisco.

Mark is to remain at the Laguna Honda Rehabilitation Centre to continue his recovery

RedandGreenSniper

Irish Examiner might be worth a look tomorrow.

From their Twitter account: In tomorrow's @examinersport @JohnWRiordan reveals the reaction to the 96-week ban handed down in relation to the assault of Mark Mc Govern

So, does this mean a player has been identified? Great news if so.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Nally Stand

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 16, 2011, 12:50:11 AM
Irish Examiner might be worth a look tomorrow.

From their Twitter account: In tomorrow's @examinersport @JohnWRiordan reveals the reaction to the 96-week ban handed down in relation to the assault of Mark Mc Govern

So, does this mean a player has been identified? Great news if so.

Patrick Power.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/gaa/45373/

Outrage at 96 week ban for McCovern assault
SportsNewsIRELAND, 16 August 2011

Ulster San Francisco club chairman Joe Duffy has hit out at the 96-week ban imposed on Patrick Power for his assault of Mark Mc Govern in June.

Fermanagh born Mc Govern was knocked unconscious following the attack in a San Francisco senior championship game and had been in a coma until two weeks ago.

However, Eamonn Gormley, who chaired the San Francisco Competitions Control Committee, defended the punishment they handed down, believing that it was the correct move under the circumstances.

"Both clubs co-operated fully and we were fully satisfied about the investigation. It was the maximum penalty and we believe that it was a fair outcome."

Joe Duffy remains unhappy with the ban however, believing that it was not consistent with other GAA suspensions.

"It doesn't seem fair," Duffy told the Irish Examiner.

"There have been a couple of cases where an official has been injured in games and it's led to life bans. Mark has a brain injury, we don't know the long-term consequences, he nearly died and yet they only give this guy a ban of less than two years. It makes no sense to me.

"There's no equity. Mark's medical bills are over a million dollars and that's no exaggeration. His family are over from Ireland. The whole thing has been awful.

"At the end of the day, Mark is improving. We can be grateful for that."
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

orangeman

The GAA is set to provide insurance cover for all players who travel from Ireland to play gaelic games for clubs in the United States.

This follows the case of Fermanagh footballer Mark McGovern who has been left facing medical bills of over $1m after sustaining serious head injuries during a game in San Francisco in June.

"We will have to take responsibility here," said GAA director general Paraic Duffy.

"We can't let that happen again."

Mr Duffy added:"What we hope to achieve is that in future any player going to play on a sanction in the States as Mark did will be covered by insurance from the GAA here."

The GAA director general added that the decision to extend the GAA's insurance scheme to Croke Park was as "a direct result of Mark McGovern's injury".

"With medical costs being so high in the US, it is an issue that we just can't ignore.

"It took the Mark McGovern case to sadly draw our attention to this."

Doctors say McGovern has made a "remarkable" recovery from his injuries.

He is out of hospital but is undergoing rehabilitation in California.

His goal is to get back to his original state of health and fitness and return home to Northern Ireland as soon as he is physically able to although he will not be able to play gaelic games again.

He had to learn how to walk and talk again but after intensive therapy medical experts said his progress had been remarkable and predict he will make a full recovery.

Mr McGovern's parents and three sisters maintained a vigil at his hospital bedside during the five-week period he was in a coma.

A lot of fundraising efforts have helped the family to cope with Mark's medical and rehabilitation costs in the US, which have exceeded $1m

muppet

That is good news, especially if it is retrospectively applied in the Mark McGovern case.

Any legal eagles here have an opinion on whether this may have been forced upon them? For example US authorities wouldn't take too kindly to an organisation bringing in emigrants and leaving them unsupported with unpaid bills.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on October 17, 2011, 11:04:47 AM
That is good news, especially if it is retrospectively applied in the Mark McGovern case.

Any legal eagles here have an opinion on whether this may have been forced upon them? For example US authorities wouldn't take too kindly to an organisation bringing in emigrants and leaving them unsupported with unpaid bills.

They were always going to cover most of the balance on the qt.

Don't believe it was forced due to any legalities, more to do with the fact that a loophole has been exposed in the worst possible way and they recognise it has to be changed.

Eamonnca1

He's on his way back with his family. It's going to be a long trip by land and sea because he can't fly.

omagh_gael

Surprised no-one has this up yet. Great to see him back...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15548761

he Fermanagh Gaelic footballer left brain damaged after being attacked on the pitch in San Francisco has returned home.

It took Mark McGovern 18 days to travel home by land and sea because he is not allowed to fly.

He arrived home to Belcoo late on Monday night.

The 23-year-old was left in a coma after an off-the-ball incident during a match in the US in June.

The Fermanagh man had only been in the city five days when he was injured in the game between the Ulster Club and the San Francisco Celts

His family were told he might not live because his injuries were so severe.

However, Mark has made an incredible recovery with the help of doctors and physiotherapists in San Francisco.

The first leg of his 5,000 mile journey was from the west coast to New York by train, then a 10-day boat journey to Southampton.

Next, a long drive to Holyhead and another boat to Dublin and up to Belcoo and home.

Getting home again after so long was a great relief to Mark.

"It's amazing to get through the front gates of the house, to get to the front door and not be assisted by anyone," he said.

"There's no place like home.

"It'll be hard to get my normal life back, obviously, very hard. The only goal I've set is to become a single handicapper playing golf.

"That's my first thought. I know I can't play football anymore so it's given me time to concentrate on golf. It'll be golf every day now - weather depending!"

armaghniac

Mark being interviewed in RTE radio now. Great to hear it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Aaron Boone

I heard Shannon Gaels over the river in Co Cavan also raised a pile for the fund.

Well done all and well done Mark.

hassletravel

I heard that there is a cycle in aid of this fund on the 14th of April, does anyone have any info on it
why travel direct

ziggysego

Mark McGovern is to appear on The Late Late Show this Friday.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Quote from: hassletravel on March 09, 2012, 09:36:58 PM
I heard that there is a cycle in aid of this fund on the 14th of April, does anyone have any info on it

http://www.lakelandcc.co.uk/cycling-589.html