Roscommon v Tyrone

Started by EC Unique, July 20, 2011, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Quote from: maco on July 31, 2011, 10:28:00 AM
Sadly, there are reports of the drowning of a Tyrone supporter in Dublin last night, and another man ill in hospital after trying to save him. Details of his condition not known at the minute.

Is there anything of this ? Not a word anywhere else! Just hope it's not true !
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

maco

Unfortunately it is true. I don't want to release a name yet for obvious reasons. The story is that he was involved in some sort of altercation with Kildare supporters last night. Him and the brother were supposed to have been running away from them, both jumped a wall and he ended up in the water. Brother jumped in to save him but couldn't. Very sad - he's been married less than a year.

Rois

Quote from: maco on July 31, 2011, 05:45:28 PM
Unfortunately it is true. I don't want to release a name yet for obvious reasons. The story is that he was involved in some sort of altercation with Kildare supporters last night. Him and the brother were supposed to have been running away from them, both jumped a wall and he ended up in the water. Brother jumped in to save him but couldn't. Very sad - he's been married less than a year.
That is really sad indeed and I am sorry it's turned out to be true. 

Gaffer

Thanks for that, Maco.

RIP

Norf Tyrone

Just heard the name there. Shocking news.

RIP.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rossfan

Quote from: ross matt on July 31, 2011, 04:21:41 PM
Congratulations to Tyrone. They had in their side quality, experience plus physical and mental toughness. We more than match them for long periods of the match but in the end we were too young, too inexperienced at this level and mentally frail for the last ten minutes where we threw in the towel and the floodgates opened.

That being said great credit has to go the Fergie and the lads for the first half display. We really should have been up 4 or 5 points and there was nothing to suggest we wouldnt go on to win it. Finneran and Mannion dominated the air. Shine, Kilbride and Cregg had the Tyrone defence in severe trouble. Seanie Mac was brilliant in our defence. However we missed a certain  1-4 and really it cost us at the death.

We rallied well in the middle of the 2nd half but when Tyrone smelled blood and ran at us in straight lines we were in trouble. We have quality defenders but we need a stopper of a centre back with presence like Gormly in his prime. We also coughed up alot of ball at centre forward especially when showing for our own kick outs. But in the end as I feared we couldnt counter Sean Cavanaghs mobility. It was Roy of the Rovers stuff for him yesterday and he was a deserving man of the match. Its worth point out though that Karol Mannion also scored 1-2 from midfield for us so Sean kinda glossed over a problem area for Tyone that could be exploited by Dublin.

Whats important for us though is that we took them on in Croker and competed well for 3 quarters of the match and had them on the back foot for most of the 1st half. We have to learn from this. We have to mature physically and mentally. Above all we need to capitalise on our periods of dominace by coverting obvious scoring opportunities like all the top sides do. We need to bring in a few more players but as the minors showed yesterday they are on the way. Roscommon football is in a healthy state. Progress is slow and painful but it is progress.

Excellent post Matt and not much I can add .
Maybe a bit of cop on from Deegan would have helped , he seemed to fall for plenty of oul Tyrone tricks (e.g booked Purcell despite McGuigan elbowing him for 5 minutes right in front of effin Duffy's eyse, giving a free against Micky Finn for winning a 50/50 ball , not giving us a free when a man was pushed ovr the line and generally favouring th the big names against the unknowns little lads.
Still the best team won but no way were they 11 points better than us.
We need bto believe and anything is possible e.g Mwr batin Cork.
Future is bright Future is Rros.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PadraicHenryPearse

Surprised no one mention the amount of steps Cavanagh took for the first goal. Mayo goal today was over carrying also. Ref was terrible in the 2nd half especailly as we looked like we were clawing back the 5 pt lead tyrone had ran up just after half time. Soft free after soft free to Tyrone.

There was no way the lads could have kept up the tempo they had in the first half and need to put away more scores, they mixed the brillaint with the ridiculas in the first half and until they cut out those errors i think will be found wanting. There was a lack of support runners coming out of the backs in the 2nd half and Shine and Kilbride hid behind their markers. Higgins should have been pull of earlier, O'gara was good when he came out but not enough football this year. Thought Daly was a strange sub, would have brought Kenny on here i think.

Overall something to work on. good first half and first 10-15 of the second. Mannion showed some form, maybe a bit cuter with the fouling around the middle of the field would have helped. Disappointed with the scoreline but not the effort or the ability to play good football against a very good team. Conditioning and strenght work along with a couple of additions and id be hopeful of a semi final appear at least in the next 2/3 years.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on July 31, 2011, 07:08:01 PM
Just heard the name there. Shocking news.

RIP.

This sounds terrible!!

HOw come it hasn't been on news?

oakleafgael

Quote from: maco on July 31, 2011, 05:45:28 PM

Heard the news this morning before Mass. It hit me like a sledge hammer. First wedding anniversary next week. A lovely fella who will be sorely missed. Not going to go into the circumstances as it wont change anything.

new devil

Could someone PM with a name please

Gaffer

maco

Shrewdness

Quote from: AFS on July 31, 2011, 04:38:32 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on July 30, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
Quote from: AFS on July 30, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
Very impressive from Tyrone there, but Roscommon were brutal. They were never going to win but they could've made it a bit closer by not shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Same as their game against Cork last year. Must be a very frustrating team to follow. Tyrone are brilliant at engineering room in the FF line for players to run into from deep, they almost don't have a FF line at times. They're making a lot of goal chances this way. Something for the Dubs to watch.

AFS, i wouldn't agree with your statement that Roscommon were brutal, but i do agree with your comments about them shooting themselves in the foot.

Based on their performances against Cork last year, and Tyrone today, they seem to be able to remain competitive against the top sides for about 50-60 minutes, before the roof caves in. Seems to be due to a physical and mental tiredness, no doubt caused by a big step up in class.

Last year against Cork, they were only trailing by about 5 points, when David Casey lost the ball deep in his own defence which directly led to Cork scoring the game's only goal and running out 9 points winners.

Something similar happened today. Both of Tyrone's 2 late goals came from Roscommon mistakes or turning over possession. As my fellow county man mentioned a few posts above, Tyrone were never an 11 points better team than Roscommon today, but unfortunately the record books won't state that.

Until, or unless Roscommon can cut out these costly self inflicted schoolboy defensive errors, they will never get any better than they currently are.

Maybe 'brutal' was a bit harsh on Roscommon, but they did disappoint me overall. There was a failure to capitalise on moments of superiority in the first half, with 21 yard frees missed and a terrible goal conceded just after your own was scored. This was followed by a pretty dire second half collapse after about 50-55 minutes. The best teams aren't the ones with the most good moments, rather the ones that make the least mistakes. Roscommon seems to be a side that enjoys a fair amount of good moments in games, but just makes too many mistakes to be considered a good team.

Can't argue with that AFS.

Siggy

Awful news about the drowning. I see todays Daily Mirror quoting speculation from an internet message board about what happened.

ziggysego

Quote from: Siggy on August 01, 2011, 08:57:06 AM
Awful news about the drowning. I see todays Daily Mirror quoting speculation from an internet message board about what happened.

The Garda have said there's no foul play suspected, so I wouldn't pay heed to internet message board talk.
Testing Accessibility