Roscommon v Tyrone

Started by EC Unique, July 20, 2011, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snippets

Roscommon played damn well in the first half.  False  scoreline.  Tyrone turned out probably their best second half in 3 years.   Great game between 2 fine football teams.  Roscommon can push on from this next year.  Sound outfit.   Going by newstalk commentry its a shame that Mc Kenna didnt get more "gametime" throughout the year to try to bring him on - as we are undoubtedly getting improved performances in terms of energy and fitness.  Cassidy is so injury prone.  We must remember the young guys need it as much as the old guys.  Look at Petie, Coney, Sparky, Swifty = all going well.    Hub might be struggling to cope the full hour.  However well done to team and management.  Bring On the dubs
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

tyssam5

Since we're always slagging commentators, I thought BBC radio covered that game fairly well.

Right now after some good open football from Tyrone we switch over the ultra-defensive Donegal!! Changed times.

Sandy Hill

What is it with Tyrone and head bandages?
"Stercus accidit"

tyssam5

Quote from: Sandy Hill on July 30, 2011, 06:23:26 PM

Marketing thing, we're doing the retro mid-90's look.

Aaron Boone

Tyrone half-backs pushed up to crowd midfield in the second-half. Dooher was on hand to help-out and had a fine half of football. Coney did well for first half, didn't expect him 2b subbed.

INDIANA

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 30, 2011, 05:51:31 PM
Quote from: Tyrones own on July 30, 2011, 05:47:26 PM
3-19 is some score in fairness...Mark Donnelly was some addition to that team :)

Seemed quiet in frist half, but much better in 2nd. Maybe Dooher will start liking a super-sub role (not likely knowing him though). Big score up, might have been better finishing tighter, Dubs won't be complacent now for sure. Cassidy would be have very useful today, we're short in mid-field

We're just turning up to make up the numbers

Fuzzman

Thought the newstalk commentary was good until the Rossies took the lead. Brady was terribly biased and was about to slag off Sean Cav for time wasting pretending to be injured but then the host guy interrupted him and said he really is badly injured and is being taken off.
Parkinson also was getting excited when Rosscommon took the lead after their goal but that's to be expected as everyone wants the underdog.
I don't think Brady likes us to much since our 2004 meeting with Mayo

Anyway, great win for Tyrone even if the last 2 goals were a bit easy and put a total false shine on the score. Still we had to work hard for the win by the sounds of it. I hope they stick the whole game on RTE player as it sounds a clinker. That's 3 matches in a row now we've kicked a high scoreline.

I wonder how fit Stevie is for next Saturday. Will Mugsy get a start or is he better coming in like he did today. How did Mcginley do when he came on.

That's two years in a row now the Rossies held a team to well on in the game and then the other team pulled away. Did they not get ball into Shine in the second half or was he better marked?

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteWe're just turning up to make up the numbers

No one is suggesting that at all - the Dubs will be a totally different challenge nexy week.

They'd be a few points favourites and rightly so

Jinxy

Quote from: Sandy Hill on July 30, 2011, 06:23:26 PM

There must be a lot of haemophiliacs in Tyrone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tyroneman

Coney very very unlucky to get taken off. Played very well and was pick of forwards in first half.

Shrewdness

Quote from: AFS on July 30, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
Very impressive from Tyrone there, but Roscommon were brutal. They were never going to win but they could've made it a bit closer by not shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Same as their game against Cork last year. Must be a very frustrating team to follow. Tyrone are brilliant at engineering room in the FF line for players to run into from deep, they almost don't have a FF line at times. They're making a lot of goal chances this way. Something for the Dubs to watch.

AFS, i wouldn't agree with your statement that Roscommon were brutal, but i do agree with your comments about them shooting themselves in the foot.

Based on their performances against Cork last year, and Tyrone today, they seem to be able to remain competitive against the top sides for about 50-60 minutes, before the roof caves in. Seems to be due to a physical and mental tiredness, no doubt caused by a big step up in class.

Last year against Cork, they were only trailing by about 5 points, when David Casey lost the ball deep in his own defence which directly led to Cork scoring the game's only goal and running out 9 points winners.

Something similar happened today. Both of Tyrone's 2 late goals came from Roscommon mistakes or turning over possession. As my fellow county man mentioned a few posts above, Tyrone were never an 11 points better team than Roscommon today, but unfortunately the record books won't state that.

Until, or unless Roscommon can cut out these costly self inflicted schoolboy defensive errors, they will never get any better than they currently are.

Fuzzman

Does anyone know will RTE put this game up on their GAA media player or will we only see a few minutes of it on tomorrow night on TSG?

On Newstalk they were saying that we are showing Roscommon a lack of respect as we didn't play a sweeper in front of our FB line as we would do against Kerry or Cork etc.
You can't win. They complain if you're too defensive and then whinge when you play it open.
I can't see us being that open the next day out. At least I hope not.

11 different scorers today I see. Any news on Penrose or Cassidy for next week?
S Cavanagh 2-03 (0-01f), M Donnelly 1-01, P Harte 0-04 (3f, 1 '45), C Cavanagh, K Coney, B McGuigan 0-02 each, P Jordan, K Hughes, C Gormley, O Mulligan, S O'Neill 0-01 each.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

A good win against a decent team. No doubt the final margin flattered Tyrone but great to run up a big tally. Would hope Cassidy will be fit for next week, we could do with a bit more at midfield.   

Still a lot of questions about that Tyrone side and we're relying on them being able to take it up another notch next weekend, but one to look forward to.

Chimley

Just back from a marathon session at Croke park. The big difference between the teams was the quality that came off the bench for Tyrone. Roscommen should have been leading at half-time as Tyrone lived off scraps and a wonder goal by Cav in the first half.

I must agree that Coney was very unlucky to be called ashore but Harte must have been very worried to throw both Mulligan and Dooher on at half time. I thought that Dooher started to pull the strings and the game swung to Tyrone except for a brief Roscommon rally when O'Gara was introduced.

If I was a Tyrone supporter I would be wondering which half was the real Tyrone and hoping it was the second.
From the Roscommon viewpoint, there is the makings of a good team there and I feel that they will improve again next year. They need the star men to stay fit though as there is too little depth on the bench at the moment. They have good talent coming through though as evidenced by the minors win today.

Fuzzman

How did Donnelly play at FF? Did he come out the field much?