McCoy or Walsh??

Started by Armaghgael, July 19, 2011, 11:53:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghgael

Whom do you think is the greater jockey?
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

Donnellys Hollow

McCoy is the ultimate competitor but I'm of the firm belief that Walsh is probably the greatest jump jockey that we'll ever witness. He is that good.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Incertus

two legends. far to hard a question for anyone to answer with much conviction.

imo it has to be McCoy as no1 else can get a horse to the line like him.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 20, 2011, 12:31:31 AM
McCoy is the ultimate competitor but I'm of the firm belief that Walsh is probably the greatest jump jockey that we'll ever witness. He is that good.

+1. Perfectly put.
That was never a square ball!!

beer baron

I'm a Mc Coy man myself,Ruby's a class act too but i just think Mc Coy's a great man to get absolutely everything out of any grade of horse and for me as a punter thats the main thing!

BennyHarp

Quote from: beer baron on July 20, 2011, 09:43:16 AM
I'm a Mc Coy man myself,Ruby's a class act too but i just think Mc Coy's a great man to get absolutely everything out of any grade of horse and for me as a punter thats the main thing!

Sort of agree - but if i was going to trust a jockey on a favourite at Cheltenham, it would have to Ruby every time. I mean no disrespect to McCoy as he is probably better at getting more out of an average horse than Ruby.
That was never a square ball!!

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 20, 2011, 11:51:39 AM
Quote from: beer baron on July 20, 2011, 09:43:16 AM

Sort of agree - but if i was going to trust a jockey on a favourite at Cheltenham, it would have to Ruby every time. I mean no disrespect to McCoy as he is probably better at getting more out of an average horse than Ruby.

I'd tend to disagree. This is no slight on McCoy but I think his riding style sometimes gives the impression that a horse isn't as willing a partner as he actually is. McCoy can look like he is rowing away on a horse without ever really being properly off the bridle. Walsh on the other hand often looks to be travelling better than he actually is.

Their riding of Brave Inca would be the perfect example. McCoy always looked flat to the boards on him, but he always looked to travel that bit easier when Walsh was up. McCoy produces incredible rides where he's riding the ears off some useless lazy yak of Jonjo's for three miles around Newton Abbott. You'd see Walsh coaxing and cajoling the best out of equally houndish animals around the gaff tracks over here during the summer though.

McCoy's individual achievements will probably never be matched but Walsh is clearly the superior horseman in my humble opinion.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?