Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Doesn't matter they are both shoe-ins.
#newbridgeornowhere

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on July 20, 2011, 02:35:41 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on July 20, 2011, 02:12:59 PM
We all know that until it gets to the 4th round/quarter final stage that the pundits don't even think about who deserves an all star. Even basing it on performances so far means nothing. Yeah Jamie Clarke has done well in two games but very poorly in another. Coulter destroyed Leitrim and set up two goals against Antrim but if we lose to Cork then he has no chance.

It's far too early to talk about this, there is far too much still to happen. Incidentally in my opinion there is not a single player who is no longer in the championship (i.e. county already out) that deserves an All-star this year. And that includes a consideration of what anyone might have done in the league as well as the championship so far. And as for Cian Ward He didn't play in first game against Kildare. Scored nothing from play against Galway, and only two from play against Kildare second time. Having one miraculous day does not mean you deserve an All-Star.

Three games actually.

Which game has he done poorly in?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

RedandGreenSniper

Robert Hennelly
Seanie McDermott
Michael Moloney
Colin Forde
Richie Feeney
Tony Gaughan
David Keenan
Michael Finneran
Aidan O'Shea
Andy Moran
Cathal Cregg
Cillian O'Connor
Senan Kilbride
Alan Freeman
Donie Shine
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 20, 2011, 03:33:45 PM

Robert Hennelly
Seanie McDermott
Michael Moloney
Colin Forde
Richie Feeney
Tony Gaughan
David Keenan
Michael Finneran
Aidan O'Shea
Andy Moran
Cathal Cregg
Cillian O'Connor
Senan Kilbride
Alan Freeman
Donie Shine

Only one Kerryman? Surely not.  ;)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 20, 2011, 03:33:45 PM

Robert Hennelly
Seanie McDermott
Michael Moloney
Colin Forde
Richie Feeney
Tony Gaughan
David Keenan
Michael Finneran
Aidan O'Shea
Andy Moran
Cathal Cregg
Cillian O'Connor
Senan Kilbride
Alan Freeman
Donie Shine

Good but i'd go for

Geoffrey Claffey
Sean McDermott
Niall Carty
Keith Higgins
R Feeney
P Domican
T Mortimer
A O'Shea
Michael Finneran
Andy Moran
Alan Dillion
Cillian O'Connor
Senan Kilbride
Alan Freeman
Donal Shine
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

nrico2006

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on July 20, 2011, 03:12:49 PM
We all know that until it gets to the 4th round/quarter final stage that the pundits don't even think about who deserves an all star. Even basing it on performances so far means nothing. Yeah Jamie Clarke has done well in two games but very poorly in another. Coulter destroyed Leitrim and set up two goals against Antrim but if we lose to Cork then he has no chance.

It's far too early to talk about this, there is far too much still to happen. Incidentally in my opinion there is not a single player who is no longer in the championship (i.e. county already out) that deserves an All-star this year. And that includes a consideration of what anyone might have done in the league as well as the championship so far. And as for Cian Ward He didn't play in first game against Kildare. Scored nothing from play against Galway, and only two from play against Kildare second time. Having one miraculous day does not mean you deserve an All-Star.

Three games actually.

Jamie Clarke is far more deserving of an All Star this year so far than Coulter, especially when you consider their scoring returns.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Canalman

As already stated, all idle talk for now. All Stars are won and lost from the 1/4 final stage. Even the token allstars for Lgue winners and Provincial winners gone the way of the Dodo.

nrico2006

Quote from: Canalman on July 20, 2011, 04:39:20 PM
As already stated, all idle talk for now. All Stars are won and lost from the 1/4 final stage. Even the token allstars for Lgue winners and Provincial winners gone the way of the Dodo.

True.  A very good final would nearly guarantee you one irrelevant of anything else beforehand.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

PAULD123

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 20, 2011, 04:14:40 PM

Three games actually.

Jamie Clarke is far more deserving of an All Star this year so far than Coulter, especially when you consider their scoring returns.

How many goals has Clarke set up? Coulter set up two at the weekend that he could have shot at himself. Coulter does a lot more than just score points. He has scored ten points so far but has set up loads more. If your only category is simply who scores the most then you know very little about football. Coulter is a vital part of forward line that have scored 6-52 in four games. Armagh have scored 4-54. Not much difference overall. You can not compare a forward who's main job is to score to one who is there to mostly set up scores just on points scored alone.

Both players have done well this championship and have been the reason their teams have scored so much, but in no way is Clarke MORE deserving than Coulter, besides you have no basis for saying that, our games haven't been televised so you haven't even seen his performances. They are both equally important.

By teh way, yes Clarke has had three good games, not two, and one poor one (Derry)

magpie seanie

Agree with a ot of what is said on there being no point blah de blah but we can always try to ignore the short termism of the selectors!

Surprised no-one has mentioned Ben Brosnan from Wexford so far (maybe I missed it). Really think with what he has done so far he should get one.

ross4life

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 20, 2011, 06:59:54 PM
Agree with a ot of what is said on there being no point blah de blah but we can always try to ignore the short termism of the selectors!

Surprised no-one has mentioned Ben Brosnan from Wexford so far (maybe I missed it). Really think with what he has done so far he should get one.
Yeah good shout on Brosnan & he should clock up good scores in the Limerick,Quarter final games to give himself as similar total to what his look alike "the Mort" got while getting All-Star.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

magpie seanie

That other person never kicked 45's or scored a point by soloing up the field from his half back line.

boro

From a Wexford perspective if the all star nominations were being announced this week we'd be hoping for Graham Molloy (full back), Ben Brosnan (wing forward) and Ciaran Lyng (corner forward) and maybe adrian flynn (wing back). Obviously when we win the all-ireland we'd be expecting a few more ;)

Hoof Hearted

Michael Murphy probably wouldnt get one if they were picked today, and as screenexile says, he certainly isnt overrated, but i think he will have a massive say in his next 1-3 games.

If Jim McGuiness settled for an Ulster, and lets Donegal have a free reign from now on (which obviously wont happen) Murphy would set Croker alight
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

nrico2006

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 20, 2011, 05:33:11 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 20, 2011, 04:14:40 PM

Three games actually.

How many goals has Clarke set up? Coulter set up two at the weekend that he could have shot at himself. Coulter does a lot more than just score points. He has scored ten points so far but has set up loads more. If your only category is simply who scores the most then you know very little about football. Coulter is a vital part of forward line that have scored 6-52 in four games. Armagh have scored 4-54. Not much difference overall. You can not compare a forward who's main job is to score to one who is there to mostly set up scores just on points scored alone.

Both players have done well this championship and have been the reason their teams have scored so much, but in no way is Clarke MORE deserving than Coulter, besides you have no basis for saying that, our games haven't been televised so you haven't even seen his performances. They are both equally important.

By teh way, yes Clarke has had three good games, not two, and one poor one (Derry)

Coulters 'main job' is to score, as is Clarkes.  Both players are obviously involved in the creation of scores for team-mates, but their primary job is still to score goals/points themselves.