We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on October 05, 2011, 11:46:20 AM
Bryan Cullen not being nominated is wrong, end of. Alan Dillon contributed nowhere near as much. He's a fine player, Dillon, but he had an indifferent year. If there's a fifth Mayo man to go for, it'd be Higgins for me but, as pointed out, his behaviour in the Kerry and Galway games probably didn't help him.
Nominations can always be full of strange calls and you'd hope that the final selection will be closer to the reality of the season just gone. I would love to know who sits on the All-Star selection committee and do they each make a point of watching every single game of consequence either in the flesh or on TV? I know that might sound aspirational but if Paddy Kelly is being nominated after being cleaned in the All-Ireland quarter-final, is it just because of a good game v Kerry or have the selectors tracked him for every game?
Teams like Kildare and Donegal are being assisted by playing in more games that are high profile and likely to be attended by more judges. I doubt there were too many judges at the Connacht final who could see how well Mayo defended in awful conditions.

Good points, a radical shake-up needs to happen.  Players can have 1 or 2 brilliant games yet their team could be put out early, should they be punished as a result?  You mentioned Kelly, the same could be applied to McMahon who had a brilliant game against Armagh and had Murphy in his back pocket against Donegal yet wasn't brilliant against Dublin.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

ross4life

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2011, 10:29:02 PM
Quote from: ross4life on October 04, 2011, 05:12:07 PM
5 Mayo,Kildare players? they should have gave them three each & spread the other nominations out.

Anyways i'll be surprised if Kerry get more than 3 All-stars this year (D O'Sullivan,Sheehan,Cooper) Dublin i think will get 6/7, 2/3 for Donegal & one each for Kildare,Wexford & Mayo.

Why lump Mayo and Kildare together? Mayo deserved at least 5 but I don t believe the right ones got nominated. Saying that, the All Stars doesn t have much appeal for me.

That's your point of view but IMO only three players from Mayo stood out this year (Vaughan,O'Connor & Moran) others like McLoughlin,Hennelly,Mortimer,Dillion etc were good in parts but didn't deserve All-star nominations e.g team effort instead of individual brilliance & i'm sure the hardcore Kildare fans were surprised with the 5 nominations.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Croí na hÉireann

Tweet from @DubMatchTracker:

Congrats on our All-Stars @alanbrogan13 @bernardbrogan @Flinto23 MDMA, @KevinNolan7 and Stephen Cluxton
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on October 21, 2011, 04:00:05 PM

Congrats on our All-Stars @alanbrogan13 @bernardbrogan @Flinto23 MDMA, @KevinNolan7 and Stephen Cluxton

Thats true - O'Carroll missed out.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on October 21, 2011, 04:04:25 PM

What's the rest of the line up heffo?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

MDMA - should have got it last year certainly not this year

When O'Carroll doesn't get announced tonight expect a couple thousand cans of dutchie to be fecked at TV screens all across Dublin especially if Mick Foley gets the nod....
#newbridgeornowhere

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Whats the verdict on the team? Foley, MDMA,Gooch possibly debatable?
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

trileacman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on October 21, 2011, 04:32:47 PM

MDMA - should have got it last year certainly not this year

When O'Carroll doesn't get announced tonight expect a couple thousand cans of dutchie to be fecked at TV screens all across Dublin especially if Mick Foley gets the nod....

There is a definite trend in All-star selections that means you are likely to get it a year late rather than when you made the big set-up.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ross4life

Would have picked O'Carroll,Doyle,Brosnan instead of Foley,MDMA,Flynn anyway well done to the Andy Moran on his All-star the town of Ballaghaderreen will be delighted.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

screenexile

Dear lord the All Stars are a joke!!

If this is what they are going to do each year they should do away with them!!!

southsidejohnny

Ross4life  I am delighted Balla is happy for Andy. I was just as  happy for Geesalas Pat Lindsey and Castlebars Dermot Early when they won All Stars with Roscommon in the 1980s.

J70

Any chance of someone posting the final selection?

orangeman

2011 GAA/GPA Football All Stars

Goalkeeper:
Stephen Cluxton (Dublin)

Full backs:
Marc O'Sé (Kerry), Neill McGee (Donegal), Michael Foley (Kildare)

Half backs:
Kevin Cassidy (Donegal), Karl Lacey (Donegal), Kevin Nolan (Dublin)

Midfield:
Bryan Sheehy (Kerry), Michael Darragh Macauley (Dublin)

Half forwards:
Darran O'Sullivan (Kerry), Alan Brogan (Dublin), Paul Flynn (Dublin)

Full forwards:
Colm Cooper (Kerry), Andy Moran (Mayo), Bernard Brogan (Dublin)

thewobbler

I think Down would stand a very good chance of beating that team. Cork, Kerry or Dublin would eat them up.

Worst all star selection ever IMHO.