We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo might end up with none - could you imagine the rancour?! The way I'd see it is that the two Mayo guys who deserve to be in contention are Andy Moran and Donie Vaughan. Moran has been Mayo's best player in two games - Galway and Cork, and was very good yesterday and also in London. Vaughan was very good v Galway and Man of the Match yesterday for Mayo - on Declan O'Sullivan. He might be in with as good a shout as Moran because there might be more room in the half-back line than the full-forward line. Andy might be considered at 12 too but his best work has been inside.

Trevor Mort might be in with a shout as might Keith Higgins but mainly because they have a relatively good profile and were solid in most of what they did. None of them excelled though.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Mayo4Sam

I think the spilt this yr could be different as all 4 semi finalists won their province.
Also don't think there are 15 lads who have been consistently good, nearly all players in contention have had off days, with the exception of Lacey and a few more.
Is it not still split into backs and forwards rather than positions?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Lar Naparka

I would think that Andy Moran is Mayo's best bet with Cillian in with a great chance of getting the Young Player award.
Moran was excellent in all of Mayo's games this season and yesterday he was the only one who had the beating of his marker from start to finish. For consistency alone, he deserves the nod.
I really can't see any other who is in contention.
I thought Alan Dillon was in with a fighting chance until yesterday but I can't see him getting one now.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ross4life

Kerry,Dublin,Donegal will get most of the All-Stars Andy Moran should get one while O'Connor,Donal Vaughan,Trevor Mortimer etc will get nominated.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

RedandGreenSniper

I think it is now split by the lines but used to be by into just backs, midfielders, forwards, goalies. I could be wrong on this.

I agree on Cillian O'Connor being in with a shout for Young Player. Who are the other contenders?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: Lar Naparka on August 22, 2011, 07:28:50 PM
I would think that Andy Moran is Mayo's best bet with Cillian in with a great chance of getting the Young Player award.
Moran was excellent in all of Mayo's games this season and yesterday he was the only one who had the beating of his marker from start to finish. For consistency alone, he deserves the nod.
I really can't see any other who is in contention.
I thought Alan Dillon was in with a fighting chance until yesterday but I can't see him getting one now.
Really? apart from the London game Alan Dillon IMO was disappointing, compared to 2006 when he was one of Mayo's best forwards.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

If Dublin make the All Ireland final Rory O'Carroll will probably get the young player of the year.

GalwayBayBoy

Think Andy Moran is ye're only shot to be honest. The two finalists will dominate the selection as they usually do. Will only leave a couple of vacant spaces for others.

Mayo4Sam

I can't see anyone from outside the semis making it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Sam2011

I also think Keith Higgins and Donal Vaughan have been very good for us this year especially Donal considering he had to have an operation this year and then recover for the championship so quick.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Canalman on August 22, 2011, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 22, 2011, 05:13:42 PM
With us gone I think we've a air chance at three with andy Moran guaranteed and possibly Donie vaughan and cillian o'connor possibles

Just the one I think going on what recent losing AISFs got. Dublin and Kildare only got the one each last year despite losiing by a point each.

Kildare got two - Doyle & Kelly.

Difficult to see anyone from outside the semi-finalsts getting one this year. Wasn't Jordan the only one last year?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 22, 2011, 08:22:24 PM
Quote from: Canalman on August 22, 2011, 05:24:44 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 22, 2011, 05:13:42 PM
With us gone I think we've a air chance at three with andy Moran guaranteed and possibly Donie vaughan and cillian o'connor possibles

Just the one I think going on what recent losing AISFs got. Dublin and Kildare only got the one each last year despite losiing by a point each.

Kildare got two - Doyle & Kelly.

Difficult to see anyone from outside the semi-finalsts getting one this year. Wasn't Jordan the only one last year?

charlie harrison from sligo got one last year
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Orangemac

Can't find the player of the year thread.

Bernard Brogan is surely in the running for back to back player of the year awards, not at the heights of last year in terms of scoring but more of a team player and has been consistently good in every game this year. Alan is being talked about as favourite, he was ok today but poor enough v Donegal in the SF.

johnpower

Quote from: Orangemac on September 18, 2011, 10:52:54 PM
Can't find the player of the year thread.

Bernard Brogan is surely in the running for back to back player of the year awards, not at the heights of last year in terms of scoring but more of a team player and has been consistently good in every game this year. Alan is being talked about as favourite, he was ok today but poor enough v Donegal in the SF.

Did he not get the Man of  the match after that game?

ross4life