We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: passedit on August 09, 2011, 12:01:16 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 03:43:55 PM
Sure Cluxton is guaranteed an allstar every year isn't he?

When you're the best keeper in Ireland that is what usually happens.

Depends who you play for Indiana. However he was more like a quarterback than a keeper the other night. One of the main reasons Dublin won so comfortably. The speed and accuracy of his kickouts was outstanding.

Well he was like an American Footballer when he took Offaly's Cathal Daly clean out of it on front of the Hill a few years back.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Bogball XV

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 09, 2011, 12:52:55 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 09, 2011, 11:54:53 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 08, 2011, 03:48:55 PM

He was only 99% guaranteed an All-Star in previous years. Now that he's taking frees and 45s it's up to 100%.

Brains trust out in force today.

No All Star for Cluxton in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

As for the clown who said Cluxton was "never a top 3 goalkeeper in the country". Once again making himself a laughing stock with his utter lack of intelligence/knowledge.

Diarmuid Murphy
Pascal McConnell
David Clarke
Cluxton easily better than the three of them, Murphy in particular was never up to much.  However as only one of the above is still playing county football has Cluxton leapt into that top 3 now?

Jinxy

Cluxton has been the best keeper in the country for years.
He's got fewer handy all stars than the Gooch that's for sure.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thewobbler

Cluxton is the best keeper I've seen. The only keeper in recent memory with a similar ability to pick passes and kickouts was Ronan Gallagher of Fermanagh, but Cluxton is a major step-up in all other aspects of the game.

I do like Donegal's current netminder. He's a throwback to the days when goalkeepers were reliable big lumps of men who could kick a ball really far. After a match I could imagine him immediately bypassing the changing room to sink a couple of pints of stout, washed down with a few cigs.

Give me a Cluxton ahead of him any day though. I'd prefer to play with 15 footballers rather than 14 and a keeper.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 09, 2011, 01:15:09 PM

He was only 99% guaranteed an All-Star in previous years. Now that he's taking frees and 45s it's up to 100%.

As for the clown who said Cluxton was "never a top 3 goalkeeper in the country". Once again making himself a laughing stock with his utter lack of intelligence/knowledge.

Diarmuid Murphy
Pascal McConnell
David Clarke
Cluxton easily better than the three of them, Murphy in particular was never up to much.  However as only one of the above is still playing county football has Cluxton leapt into that top 3 now?

I shouldn't have said never, very lazy on my part, I should have said often not in the top 3. I would still have rated those 3 ahead of Cluxton. I am not sure would he get the same accolade if he were Westmeath or Sligo's keeper.

J70

How many bad mistakes has Cluxton made over the years? I can only think of one off the top my head, against Armagh (I think) in 2003. Compare him to our lad, Durkan, who has improved mightily, but still commits the odd costly error such as the one that led to Kildare's injury time equalizer and another bad kickout that gifted them a point the last day.

INDIANA

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 09, 2011, 01:55:24 PM

Diarmuid Murphy
Pascal McConnell
David Clarke

I shouldn't have said never, very lazy on my part, I should have said often not in the top 3. I would still have rated those 3 ahead of Cluxton. I am not sure would he get the same accolade if he were Westmeath or Sligo's keeper.

You dont have a chip on one shoulder in relation to Dublin- you've got two!!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: INDIANA on August 09, 2011, 02:10:49 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 09, 2011, 01:55:24 PM

Diarmuid Murphy
Pascal McConnell
David Clarke

You dont have a chip on one shoulder in relation to Dublin- you've got two!!

All I know is, I was roaring them on against Tyrone.

blanketattack

Diarmuid Murphy
Pascal McConnell
David Clarke

Murphy was better in the air and a better shot stopper, plus he has 4 All-Ireland medals.

Mayo4Sam

My original point was more that before a ball is kicked in the championship there's calls for Cluxton to get an all star, even though for most years, IMO, he's come up second best to another keeper, eg McVeigh last year. Being consistently the best goalie over a decade does not entitle you to an all star, it's lazy
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bogball XV

Quote from: blanketattack on August 09, 2011, 02:17:51 PM

Murphy was better in the air and a better shot stopper, plus he has 4 All-Ireland medals.
[/quote]
I never rated Murphy, he wasn't much of a shot stopper imo and I can't recall much about his aerial prowess.  Having 4 all ireland medals means that he played in damned good team, next you'll be telling me that Charlie Nelligan was the finest keeper ever.

I'd agree that Cluxton has got handy all stars simply because he plays for Dublin (and not necessarily based on his performances that year) but that doesn't mean he's not been the best keeper for the past 10 years.

Hound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 09, 2011, 02:39:20 PM
My original point was more that before a ball is kicked in the championship there's calls for Cluxton to get an all star, even though for most years, IMO, he's come up second best to another keeper, eg McVeigh last year. Being consistently the best goalie over a decade does not entitle you to an all star, it's lazy
Its certainly lazy analyisis to use McVeigh being better than Cluxton last year as your example of Cluxton getting easy All Stars. McVeigh got the feckin All Star.

Cluxton has received 3 All Stars in his 10 years of intercounty action. Hardly equates to an entitlement to an annual All Star as some are suggesting.

Mayo4Sam

It was example, another one would have been Connaughton in '08, he was outstanding.

The laziness I refered to was before the quarter finals each year being told Cluxton deserved the all star.

Certainly this year Paul durcan is as strong a contender as Cluxton, other than the 45's has he had any saves to make?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

blanketattack

Quote from: Bogball XV on August 09, 2011, 02:55:31 PM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 09, 2011, 02:17:51 PM

I never rated Murphy, he wasn't much of a shot stopper imo and I can't recall much about his aerial prowess.  Having 4 all ireland medals means that he played in damned good team, next you'll be telling me that Charlie Nelligan was the finest keeper ever.

I'd agree that Cluxton has got handy all stars simply because he plays for Dublin (and not necessarily based on his performances that year) but that doesn't mean he's not been the best keeper for the past 10 years.

Murphy was one of the best goalkeepers I've ever seen under the high ball and has proven himself an excellent shotstopper as well. His best years were in '05 when he kept a clean sheet in a record 5 consecutive games and in '09 were he produced numerous great saves in particular the penalty save v Sligo and one v B Brogan in the 1/4 final.
He had an important part to play in winning those 4 All-Ireland medals so they can't be dismissed so easily. Winning an All-Ireland medal is a positive sign for a player and not just a sign that they played on a good team. Murphy has proven himself to be a big game player well able to handle the pressure of an All-Ireland final on 6 occasions. The only finals Cluxton is used to are Leinster finals and one league final.
Murphy also has an unblemished disciplinary record unlike Cluxton and as for Cluxton's great kick-passing, I remember Kerry v Dublin in '07 Cluxton kickpassing straight to a Kerry player resulting in a crucial point for Kerry late in the game.

Bogball XV

Quote from: blanketattack on August 09, 2011, 04:00:16 PMMurphy was one of the best goalkeepers I've ever seen under the high ball and has proven himself an excellent shotstopper as well. His best years were in '05 when he kept a clean sheet in a record 5 consecutive games and in '09 were he produced numerous great saves in particular the penalty save v Sligo and one v B Brogan in the 1/4 final.
I remember the saves in '09, Brogan was wrong to go for goal and Murphy made an expected stop.  As for the penalty, every keeper saves one now and again.  In saying that I can't remember him making any specific mistakes, although I always had the impression that he did make a few, did get away with a few?
Anyway, I'll give him solid, but he was never in the top 4/5 in the country imo.