We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Wrong Benson, this fella wouldn't be much use either though...

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

blanketattack

The Tyrone-Dublin game has added a rake of Dubs to the All-Star radar - Flynn, Cahill, Connolly, Brennan, Bastick and O'Sullivan. This is on top of A Brogan and K Nolan who had already proven themselves prior to Saturday and Cluxton and B Brogan who have an heir of perpetual class about them and players could still come from nowhere with a good semi-final and final. If Dublin win the All-Ireland they'll probably get 12 All-Stars! :P

Mayo4Sam

Sure Cluxton is guaranteed an allstar every year isn't he?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

heffo

Quote from: blanketattack on August 08, 2011, 03:39:20 PM
The Tyrone-Dublin game has added a rake of Dubs to the All-Star radar

It may have added them to the radar in the first week of August but as we've seen with each passing week, things change drastically with each game.

If we review this after Donegal/Dublin and Mayo/Kerry things could be very different.

blanketattack

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 03:43:55 PM

He was only 99% guaranteed an All-Star in previous years. Now that he's taking frees and 45s it's up to 100%.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

INDIANA

When you're the best keeper in Ireland that is what usually happens.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quite an achievement for a man who was never a top 3 goalkeeper in the country.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

J70

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 01:28:45 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2011, 12:49:35 PM

System is flawed as journalists have short attention span which means SFS and Final carry a disproportionate weight and form over the year can be ignored for 1 or 2 good performances at latter stages. Canavan in 2005, Kennelly in 2009 being examples.

Would disagree entirely there. Does Benson or Lyng deserve an allstar? They were on fire against the weaker teams Wexford played.
I'd say 2 out of 3 good performances from any of the 4 semi finalists is worth more, tougher opposition, more pressure. It fact I'd go so far as to say if Connolly was to score 5/6 points in the next two games give him player of the year, same for Moran or o'shea from mayo.

Personally I think Lacey has been the standout footballer this year but unless they win the AI he won't get it

Probably not. He's far and away our best defender and, if there's a better man-marker in the game, I haven't seen him. He's playing centre back this year and thus he will presumably mark Alan Brogan the next day (unless he's pulled back to the corner for the other Brogan). I'd say whoever comes out on top between him and Brogan will be certainly shortlisted for the award.

Kerry Mike

If we were to win the AI could we potentially have a clean sweep  for the kingdom with the Brogans and O'Sheas thrown in for good measure  ;)
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Hound

Quote from: blanketattack on August 08, 2011, 03:48:55 PM

He was only 99% guaranteed an All-Star in previous years. Now that he's taking frees and 45s it's up to 100%.

Brains trust out in force today.

No All Star for Cluxton in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

As for the clown who said Cluxton was "never a top 3 goalkeeper in the country". Once again making himself a laughing stock with his utter lack of intelligence/knowledge.

passedit

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 05:02:09 PM

Depends who you play for Indiana. However he was more like a quarterback than a keeper the other night. One of the main reasons Dublin won so comfortably. The speed and accuracy of his kickouts was outstanding.
Don't Panic

J OGorman

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 05:02:09 PM

correct..has taken goalkeeping to a new level with his skill levels. Best Ive seen

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hound on August 09, 2011, 11:54:53 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 08, 2011, 03:48:55 PM

Brains trust out in force today.

No All Star for Cluxton in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

As for the clown who said Cluxton was "never a top 3 goalkeeper in the country". Once again making himself a laughing stock with his utter lack of intelligence/knowledge.

Diarmuid Murphy
Pascal McConnell
David Clarke
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.