We Need an All-Star thread

Started by Dinny Breen, July 19, 2011, 03:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Don't think Andy Moran will be in the race. Declan O'Sullivan must be in with a shout too, but since I fancy Dublin to win the All Ireland then I suspect Alan will take the title.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Dec OSullivan, Lacey, Moran, and Alan Brogan front runners for Player of the Year

heffo

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on August 07, 2011, 07:03:07 PM
Dec OSullivan, Lacey, Moran, and Alan Brogan front runners for Player of the Year

That'd be my pick as it stands alright.

donegal lad

Quote from: on the sideline on August 07, 2011, 06:43:49 PM
Would Lacey not be up ther for footballer of the year?  Class act all year.
Lacey is available at odds of 12/1 fo player of the year last time i checked worth a punt

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2011, 02:18:34 PM
QuoteThe 4 semi-finalists will 100% clean up the full back line

That's Kildare fooked so, only Foley and McGrillen would be contenders, maybe Shane Connolly and Morgan O'Flaherty at a push.

Emmett Bolton will surely get a mention after the scoring burst against Meath?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 07, 2011, 11:28:03 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2011, 02:18:34 PM
QuoteThe 4 semi-finalists will 100% clean up the full back line

That's Kildare fooked so, only Foley and McGrillen would be contenders, maybe Shane Connolly and Morgan O'Flaherty at a push.

Emmett Bolton will surely get a mention after the scoring burst against Meath?

He didnt get a sniff until kenny went off though...........................

Hound

I think Declan O'Sullivan at 9/2 to be footballer of the year is a great bet. In my view he'll win it if Kerry win the All Ireland. And Kerry are 4/5 to win the All Ireland. Only for Darran O'Sullivans goals keeping him in contention, Declan would already be much shorter. 

Footballer of the year will definitely come from the winning team, like most years. Last year was a bit of a freak with Bernard playing so well and carrying the Dubs (only 1 All Star) and Cork having lots of very good players but not clear standout.

blewuporstuffed

did stevie mc not get POTY in 2003 even though armagh didnt win the AI?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Canalman

For me anyway, only 4/5 certainties as Allstars. 1 each from the semifinalists....... O'Sullivan (either one), Lacy, Moran and Alan Brogan.

From a strictly Dublin perspective Cluxton, O'Carroll, Nolan, McCarthy, Flynn, B Brogan and Connolly all set up nicely . Lose the AISF and none of them imo will get one, with exception of O'Carroll as he was unlucky last year and might get one this year as a "consolation".

Think all other 3 counties have 6/7 lads in  contention also.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 07, 2011, 06:32:12 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2011, 06:24:09 PM
Quote from: passedit on August 07, 2011, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2011, 11:43:55 AM
Has that beating balaxed any Throne All-Star?

Cluxton was the only man who secured an all star yesterday. Brogan should get one but won't if Dubs are turned over by Donegal. No one from Cork has a hope.

Alan Brogan is home and hosed already. One good game and he's footballer of the year to go with it.

Have two brothers ever both won footballer of the year?

Marc and Tomás O Sé? Darragh should have won it in 06 but the media gave it to Donaghy for a couple of catches.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Orangemac

Quote from: Canalman on August 08, 2011, 12:45:32 PM
For me anyway, only 4/5 certainties as Allstars. 1 each from the semifinalists....... O'Sullivan (either one), Lacy, Moran and Alan Brogan.

Think all other 3 counties have 6/7 lads in  contention also.
Would agree with thie names mentioned above.

System is flawed as journalists have short attention span which means SFS and Final carry a disproportionate weight and form over the year can be ignored for 1 or 2 good performances at latter stages. Canavan in 2005, Kennelly in 2009 being examples.

Dinny Breen

On the button Croí

Some team if they all lined up togetehr

Year    Player    County
2010    Bernard Brogan    Dublin[1]
2009    Paul Galvin    Kerry
2008    Sean Cavanagh    Tyrone
2007    Marc O Se    Kerry
2006    Kieran Donaghy    Kerry
2005    Stephen O'Neill    Tyrone
2004    Tomás Ó Sé    Kerry
2003    Stephen McDonnell    Armagh
2002    Kieran McGeeney    Armagh
2001    Pádraic Joyce    Galway
2000    Seamus Moynihan    Kerry
1999    Trevor Giles    Meath
1998    Michael Donnellan    Galway
1997    Maurice Fitzgerald    Kerry
1996    Trevor Giles    Meath
1995    Peter Canavan    Tyrone
#newbridgeornowhere

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2011, 12:49:35 PM

System is flawed as journalists have short attention span which means SFS and Final carry a disproportionate weight and form over the year can be ignored for 1 or 2 good performances at latter stages. Canavan in 2005, Kennelly in 2009 being examples.

Would disagree entirely there. Does Benson or Lyng deserve an allstar? They were on fire against the weaker teams Wexford played.
I'd say 2 out of 3 good performances from any of the 4 semi finalists is worth more, tougher opposition, more pressure. It fact I'd go so far as to say if Connolly was to score 5/6 points in the next two games give him player of the year, same for Moran or o'shea from mayo.

Personally I think Lacey has been the standout footballer this year but unless they win the AI he won't get it
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 01:28:45 PM

Would disagree entirely there. Does Benson or Lyng deserve an allstar? They were on fire against the weaker teams Wexford played.
I'd say 2 out of 3 good performances from any of the 4 semi finalists is worth more, tougher opposition, more pressure. It fact I'd go so far as to say if Connolly was to score 5/6 points in the next two games give him player of the year, same for Moran or o'shea from mayo.

Personally I think Lacey has been the standout footballer this year but unless they win the AI he won't get it

Brosnan I take it u mean, Benson was the man who had his whistle stolen. Wexford won't get any even though they should have beaten Dublin in the Leinster Final, the loss to Limerick sorted that.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 02:13:59 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2011, 01:28:45 PM

Brosnan I take it u mean, Benson was the man who had his whistle stolen. Wexford won't get any even though they should have beaten Dublin in the Leinster Final, the loss to Limerick sorted that.

You're right Croi. Benson was a fine actor but wouldn't be a great fella for kicking scores on a wet night in Croker.