Kildare v Derry

Started by omagh_gael, July 17, 2011, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Congrats Kildare, hope yous win it now.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 24, 2011, 01:15:40 AM
Derry cleaned out Kildare in the air and Diver was the best midfielder on display and if he and Derry had just focused on football they could have had a different result maybe it was just their game plan to try and slow down the game.

Kildare have serious problems at midfield, Flynn isn't 100%  and Doyle just couldn't handle the physicality today at all. Won't be good enough for next week-end.

Just on the square ball the nearest umpire was fairly adamant and on the replays 1 replayed it looked legit and and on the other it looked like a square ball I'm sure Kevin McStay will clear it all up for us tomorrow.

We have momentum and we have players hitting form Kavanagh and Kelly were superb today, O'Connor is a handful for anyone and Mick Foley again was outstanding. Allied to belief it will be a good side that beats us next weekend if we get beat.

He's working on his powerpoint presentation as we speak.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Overall Kildare always had the upper hand. Kildare will be a tough draw for anyone but they need Doyle up front. Kildare are very well organised at the back. Had a great view of it in the second half.

Derry have been unlucky and I think Brennan will feel with one or two of the bradleys available Ulster at least is attainable next yearl

Carnview

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 24, 2011, 12:10:16 AM
Quote from: Canalman on July 23, 2011, 10:57:59 PM
Only saw the 2nd half of this game. Comprehensive win by Kildare in the end. No team in Ireland could live with the loss of the 2 Bradleys and the defeat was always on the cards.
I'm afraid I have to say that the Derry support in CP today was abysmal. I saw only 4(four) Derry jerseys in the crowd/ on the way out. Team deserves better than that.
Derry have always been poorly suppported. The county is like no other in Ireland. It is the most parochial county out there, all they talk about is South Derry V North Derry V City. Shouldnt play at Celtic Park because it is in the City blah blah blah. Moaning and fighting with each other rather than getting behind county team. When it comes to hurling its even worse, just look at what Derrys senior hurling manager had to put up with. Tell me this where else in Ireland would you not get one rep from the county hurling champs on county team. For those that dont know I am talking about Lavey.
What about Paddy Henry??  Pearse McGill??  others were injured or touring Austraila or deemed not county standard.

Donnellys Hollow

Hard to know what to make of that game. With the lack of atmosphere it felt like a challenge match and there was always a sense of inevitability about the result. Once Derry had their goal ruled out, it seemed to put a halt to their early gallop and Kildare kicked on. On the goal itself, I must admit it looked legit on first viewing but the replays on the big screen did suggest that the officials were correct. Lynch should have buried it himself anyway instead of looking for Muldoon.

Kildare were cleaned out of it at midfield early on. Flynner competed quite well but he doesn't look match fit yet. Johnny was clearly targeted by Derry and he shipped an awful lot of punishment off the ball. It was only when Rob Kelly went out to midfield that Kildare started winning a bit of ball. All three of the full-back line were solid again and gradually got the better of their men. O'Connor and Kavanagh were very dangerous inside and kicked some good scores.

Kildare aren't moving as well as they were last year but there are signs that some of the important players are beginning to hit form which is encouraging. There are issues around the middle which will be exposed by the better teams - Flynner and Kelly will probably be the starting pairing the next day. I'd be hoping for either Donegal or Mayo in the draw tonight because I think that Dublin or Kerry would be the end of the road for this year.

Connolly - swept up well on a number of occasions
McLoughlin - far more disciplined in the past year or two and looks more comfortable on the ball too
Foley - safe as houses again despite Muldoon looking dangerous early on
McGrillen - made a few great gallops forward again, any forward would have been proud of his point with the outside of the boot
White - Chalky has not been at the races at all recently, will struggle to hold his place
M O'Flaherty - reliable as ever on the ball but Derry did have a bit of joy in the first half running through the centre
Bolton - was always going to struggle to repeat last week's heroics but he did quite well
Doyle - kicked excellently from the ground and got through a mountain of work despite being targeted off the ball
Flynn - might not be 100% just yet but he grew into the game after a slow start
O'Neill - had a fine game yesterday winning plenty of breaks, distribution was good and kicked one excellent point
E O'Flaherty - big improvement from last week, always has his head up but he is capable of scoring more freely
Callaghan - covered plenty of ground and kicked one fine point but tried a few things that didn't come off for him yesterday
Kelly - looked dangerous inside with two early points and made a difference around the middle when switched out
O'Connor - had the legs on McCloy and his confidence is sky high, will be a handful for any full-back
Kavanagh - kicked some great scores off either foot and linked well with the Clane man, needs to maintain this form if Kildare are to be competitive

Lyons - looks like a lad that has been playing championship football for years, will be in contention to start next weekend
Sweeney - Roli did well on his introduction like last week winning a few kickouts and kicking a point, useful midfield option

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

lynchbhoy

Derry cleaned out Kildare in the air and Diver was the best midfielder on display and if he and Derry had just focused on football they could have had a different result maybe it was just their game plan to try and slow down the game.

Kildare have serious problems at midfield, Flynn isn't 100%  and Doyle just couldn't handle the physicality today at all. Won't be good enough for next week-end.

Just on the square ball the nearest umpire was fairly adamant and on the replays 1 replayed it looked legit and and on the other it looked like a square ball I'm sure Kevin McStay will clear it all up for us tomorrow.

We have momentum and we have players hitting form Kavanagh and Kelly were superb today, O'Connor is a handful for anyone and Mick Foley again was outstanding. Allied to belief it will be a good side that beats us next weekend if we get beat.
all well and good jumping high and getting yer hands on the ball if you come down without it !
You left out the two main men that gave Kildare the platform to win the game - OCallaghan and Oneill. Best game i've seen oneill play. McGrillen good defending and raiding from corner back was superb agan yesterday. Obv got great confidence from his outstanding display in last years qualifier.
Best team won. Best of luck to Kildare in the championship. Glen Ryan will really bring this squad on next year !

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 24, 2011, 06:23:39 PM

all well and good jumping high and getting yer hands on the ball if you come down without it !
You left out the two main men that gave Kildare the platform to win the game - OCallaghan and Oneill. Best game i've seen oneill play. McGrillen good defending and raiding from corner back was superb agan yesterday. Obv got great confidence from his outstanding display in last years qualifier.
Best team won. Best of luck to Kildare in the championship. Glen Ryan will really bring this squad on next year !

What position will he be playing in? Morgan is doing well at centre-back. Dinny will obviously know more but Glenn seems to be lining out more in the forwards these days for Towers.

lynchbhoy

well if as expected , mcgeeney is offered the armagh job (and the money is right this time)....

plus imo Ryan is a tactically smarter manager than mcgeeney.......

Donnellys Hollow

I'd be surprised if McGeeney doesn't stay at least another year with Kildare regardless of the quarter-final result. With hopefully Earley, Kelly and Conway back in tow there'll be a belief that Kildare can give it a right good rattle next year.

He certainly seems to have a better relationship with John McMahon than with his predecessor as KCB Chairman. I'd have thought Aidan O'Rourke would be more likely to depart the Kildare setup if the Armagh job became available.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2011, 06:42:06 PM
I'd be surprised if McGeeney doesn't stay at least another year with Kildare regardless of the quarter-final result. With hopefully Earley, Kelly and Conway back in tow there'll be a belief that Kildare can give it a right good rattle next year.

He certainly seems to have a better relationship with John McMahon than with his predecessor as KCB Chairman. I'd have thought Aidan O'Rourke would be more likely to depart the Kildare setup if the Armagh job became available.
not the inidication I have heard from armagh folks. Just rumours though.
Youd better stop hanging expectation on D Early ever getting back to being anywhere near what he was. This time last year I said I'd be shocked if he made it back this season to play any more than a bit part. The poor hoor has had way too many bad inj, his mind is willing but I think any comeback will be brief.
Kildare have enough players to 'give it a rattle now' , Ryan has already shown he can do a lot with a small pool of willing players.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: lynchbhoy on July 24, 2011, 06:49:32 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 24, 2011, 06:42:06 PM

not the inidication I have heard from armagh folks. Just rumours though.
Youd better stop hanging expectation on D Early ever getting back to being anywhere near what he was. This time last year I said I'd be shocked if he made it back this season to play any more than a bit part. The poor hoor has had way too many bad inj, his mind is willing but I think any comeback will be brief.
Kildare have enough players to 'give it a rattle now' , Ryan has already shown he can do a lot with a small pool of willing players.

Definitely the next man in line for the job but made a few strange calls as u21 manager despite getting to the All-Ireland Final - leaving out McGrillen and Cribbin especially when the team was weak at midfield.

Wouldn't write Earley off at all. Cursed down the years with illness and injury but always bounces back. Still younger than Johnny Doyle and would be a hell of an impact sub for the last quarter of games.

Throw ball

Think Geezer will still be at Kildare next year. Despite what many Armagh people want I cannot see O'Rourke being shown the door. If he isn't I would be quite pleased if Aidan O'Rourke came up the road to give him a hand.

Dinny Breen

Glenn is our best forward despite lack of fitness and training  :-[

McGeeney and Glenn Ryan are actually good mates both will be in the same gig next year, McGeeney sees the talent coming through and knows he has a great chance of delivering silverware to Kildare, he's not a man to walk away from an unfinished job.

QuoteYou left out the two main men that gave Kildare the platform to win the game - OCallaghan and Oneill

All 3 half-fowards worked their arses off and O'Neill was excellent indeed but I thought Leper was quiet by his standards and went down a few blind alleys at times.
#newbridgeornowhere

clubman

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 24, 2011, 09:34:41 AM
Congrats Kildare, hope yous win it now.

Fine words and I have nothing against Kildare but unless Syl ref's their remaining matches they have no chance, Cork or Kerry simple as