An Dun v Corcaigh, Saturday 23rd July

Started by redandblackareback, July 16, 2011, 09:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Three, I think. Then Limerick in round 4.

Pangurban

Have to agree with Martin Carney, there does appear to be a lack of belief and committment in the Down squad this year, at times they have appeared very lethargic and disinterested. While Cork have certainly upped their performances from last year, we seem to be going backwards. Disruption caused by injury may be part of the reason, but there must be other causes for the missing spark. Hopefully we will see a resurgence, now that we are at the business end of the season. The talent is there for a serious assault on the title,  if they click into gear they are capable of beating any of the remaining teams in a one off game

whitegoodman

Carney may be right but what exactly is he basing his opinion on, a few radio reports, a few newspaper snipits, 2 mins on the sunday game??  I cant imagine Carney has seen any of Downs 3 games in the qualifers live.

He is one of many who have to justify their fee by saying something controversal  even though he has very little info to back it up.

Kerry Mike

Up Down. cork are very average and believe their own hype at this stage as we saw in Killarney . Still they can dominate teams for periods but get them rattled early and often and their game plan falls apart. Am going to this cheering on Down (and Derry).
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Brick Tamlin

Good man yerself KerryMike, once we bate de langers youse boyos are next (again) ;)

Dubh driocht

Firstly, thanks for the concern about the Ford CD/Radio front- turned up safe and well.
I think we can beat Cork although Martin Carney has a point about our lethargy.
Starting at the back- our FB line has come on leaps and bounds and if Dee Rafferty is available, we probably are stronger than last year.
The HBs have been criticised but they are likely to suit the Cork challenge better than the teams we've faced to date. I'm assuming it will be the same personnel as last year's AI final.
Midfield is an issue but Kalum is arguably better than last September while Pete Fitz needs to focus on his strengths, not his deficits .Tyrone won 3 All-Irelands with average midfields so it can be done. Ambrose is a loss but he should have 20 minutes if needed.
The forward line is really where the improvement can come. The Down tradition of sevens football is particularly strong in Longstone and Kilcoo- Poly and Lavertys' goals were like something from Kilmacud. Add in 3 Allstars ( they had none in the forward line but we know all about Goulding's free-taking so defence needs discipline), and anyone from Mc Comiskey ( our best forward against them last September),Murtagh and the new kid on the block Mooney and we can cause them problems. Their defence had no answer to Kerry when they ran at them and I believe our forward line is as good as Kerry's ( agree Kerry Mike ? )So a bit of belief and ,most of all, confidence and we can score goals. Cork are a good side - fit, strong and mobile- but I'm not convinced they are a great side.This is the cross-roads for Down football and I believe we have the men on the field and on the sideline to take the right road to show that we are red, we are black, we are Down and we are back

Brick Tamlin

Jesus wept, you're asking for trouble with that last line. Settle yerself.

whitegoodman

DD u have put a spring in my step after that post lol.  Cant agree that we have as good as forward line as Kerry but our full back line is now as good as it has been in years even without dee rafferty who i dont think will start.

The half back line will prob as u said the same as last years final and I hope they put Rooney on big O'Neill if he is playing as he took him out of the game last year.  Its time for him and McKernan to find last years form again!!

Midfield is difficult.  It will be King and either McArdle or Fitzpatrick.  I dont no if Fitzpatrick has done enough in the last 2 games to warrent a start again?  Then again did McArdle do enough to warrent staying on?  Is this too big a match for such an inexperienced player?  I would hazard a guess that he will go with McArdle.  It looks at this stage that we may not see much of Ambrose on sat considering he didnt even get 10 mins when the game was over the other night.

The only change from the starting forward line from last wk is likely to be Danny coming in for Doyle.  His and Maginns rustiness is a slight worry but hopefully all the cobwebs were worn off the other night.  Add to that McCumisky, Mooney and Murtagh to come the bench and we have options. 

If we are in the game with 15 mins to go I fancy us to have a chance.  It is however hard to believe that given our performances over the last few weeks that we will be in the game with 15 to go.  I really hope Im wrong though.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Dubh driocht on July 18, 2011, 09:28:20 PM
Firstly, thanks for the concern about the Ford CD/Radio front- turned up safe and well.
I think we can beat Cork although Martin Carney has a point about our lethargy.
Starting at the back- our FB line has come on leaps and bounds and if Dee Rafferty is available, we probably are stronger than last year.
The HBs have been criticised but they are likely to suit the Cork challenge better than the teams we've faced to date. I'm assuming it will be the same personnel as last year's AI final.
Midfield is an issue but Kalum is arguably better than last September while Pete Fitz needs to focus on his strengths, not his deficits .Tyrone won 3 All-Irelands with average midfields so it can be done. Ambrose is a loss but he should have 20 minutes if needed.
The forward line is really where the improvement can come. The Down tradition of sevens football is particularly strong in Longstone and Kilcoo- Poly and Lavertys' goals were like something from Kilmacud. Add in 3 Allstars ( they had none in the forward line but we know all about Goulding's free-taking so defence needs discipline), and anyone from Mc Comiskey ( our best forward against them last September),Murtagh and the new kid on the block Mooney and we can cause them problems. Their defence had no answer to Kerry when they ran at them and I believe our forward line is as good as Kerry's ( agree Kerry Mike ? )So a bit of belief and ,most of all, confidence and we can score goals. Cork are a good side - fit, strong and mobile- but I'm not convinced they are a great side.This is the cross-roads for Down football and I believe we have the men on the field and on the sideline to take the right road to show that we are red, we are black, we are Down and we are back

tinted glasses perhaps??coulter,clarke and hughes could well start for a kerry team, others wouldnt be close

Kerry Mike

Quoteand I believe our forward line is as good as Kerry's

As they say in Kerry shows us your medals :P 

Seriously though Down have to win one to be classed even remotely in the vicinity of greats don't be hyping them up too much, they have enough pressure on them to go as far or beyond what they did last year, its a tough ask for them , get over the langers and who knows...
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Mourne Rover

Kerry get provincial medals almost every year for effectively winning a single match, and can plan their summers in the virtual certainty that they will at least be in the last round of the qualifiers and more likely in the last eight. They won an All Ireland as recently as 1997 without having to beat a single county which had lifted Sam in the previous 40 years. They produce outstanding footballers, but it has never been a level playing field.

borderfox

I think its set up nicely for Down to be honest. They've nothing to lose and for the first time this season there going in as underdogs. Downs first half AIF performance last year was sublime and if they can recreate anything close to that for 70 minutes I think they can win.

Cork while not taking Down for granted expect to win and I think Down can exploit this complacency and reach the QFs, Though to do so I feel they'll need to score 2 or 3 goals as I cant see them winning by scoring only points.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

downgirl

According to O'Neill's facebook page Down will be playing in the new black away jersey:

O'Neills Sportswear
can formally announce that Down will be playing in their NEW BLACK AWAY jersey this Saturday! The team will have a collar on the jersey but this exclusive to the Down players ONLY!! The official supporters jersey will be the one Shown... Click here to support your county and wear your colours with pride!!!! http://www.oneills.com/product​details/2932/down-2011-gaa-goa​lkeeper-jersey.aspx

which when you click on the link is the GK jersey.  O'Neill's are pure money grabbing b******s!!  What's wrong with the yellow jersey!

PAULD123

While form is important, in championship football the level of the opposition dictates a lot. Down have indeed played their last four games at a level that, if replicated against Cork, will see us lose. But each player will go in with a higher level of concentration and a greater level of determination. Each player knows his individual opponent is better than the previous guys he faced.

I expect each player will try to lift his game and it is unrealistic to compare performances against Antrim to those we will see against Cork. There will be no holding back or guarding against aggravating injury. This the game where the lads know they have to empty the tank to win. Against Clare, Leitrim, and to a lesser extent Antrim you could see the application wasn't 100%. It was more a case of getting over the next hurdle.

On talent alone we have enough to beat them, it really depends on whether the boys can play up to their talent level on the day, and if they can concentrate for the full 70 minutes, especially the middle 20 where we have suffered so much recently. On thing Cork do not like is teams that get in and fight them for the ball. If we get Maginn and Hughes in there foraging then we could get the possession we need to do damage.

Last year when an opposing forward got the ball he was swarmed around and couldn't move it easily, that approach applied as a high energy pressure system took us all the way to the All-Ireland final. This year we have defended a lot more man for man. I think we need to see an upping in the energy level and really closing down Cork players fast to force errors. If we can do that then we do have a chance because late in the game, as legs tire our forwards will be given chances to exploit space and we will have the likes of Mooney to come on to inject pace.

DownFanatic

Im led to believe that there isn't too much interest in tickets so far across the county for Saturday's game.