An Dun v Corcaigh, Saturday 23rd July

Started by redandblackareback, July 16, 2011, 09:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

According to Down website no changes from last wk.

Expected Hughes to start instead of Doyle and possibly Fitzpatrick for McArdle which may still happen if that is another bogey team announcement.

Dont think it would be an understatement to say that if he does start McArdle it will be one of James biggest selection calls of his tenure.  If it works he will get alot of plaudits, if it doesnt there will be some backlash but suppose that is what intercounty management is all about, u need a thick skin!!

snoopdog

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 22, 2011, 01:33:00 PM
According to Down website no changes from last wk.

Expected Hughes to start instead of Doyle and possibly Fitzpatrick for McArdle which may still happen if that is another bogey team announcement.

Dont think it would be an understatement to say that if he does start McArdle it will be one of James biggest selection calls of his tenure.  If it works he will get alot of plaudits, if it doesnt there will be some backlash but suppose that is what intercounty management is all about, u need a thick skin!!

Seriously? No changes?
Well thats a boost for Cork. Cause we werent up to the task until Danny Hughes actually came on last week. Getting more daunting by the hour

Mourne Rover

It was predictable that James would officially name an unchanged team, but the actual line-up is another matter. Doyle was excellent against Leitrim but looked as though playing a second game within a week - after being out for three years - caught up with him at Casement Park. Unless Hughes has suffered a setback in training, it is likely that he will start. As Whitegoodman says, the decison on McArdle is a massive one for our management. Most Down supporters will expect to see Fitzpatrrick brought in, as, though his form has been variable, he has the experience and can take a score. It is possible that James believes McArdle's pace is necessary to balance King's relative lack of mobility, but starting a championship rookie at Croke Park would be a huge risk. As everyone knows, a midfield collapse cost us an All Ireland last year. If James can put that right, anything is possible. He usually wears an All Blacks cap during matches, so our change of kit might be an omen for him.

PAULD123

If this the team that starts then we will be up against it. But few teams over power another team in the first half so I'd rather see these guys start than finish the game. If this group play and can stick at Cork and keep close to them then in the second half we would have McComiskey, Hughes, Mooney and Fitzpatrick to come on. Possibly even Ambrose (though I doubt that one). If we are within a few points around the 50 minute mark then we really have the bench to improve the quality on the pitch and hopefully finish the stronger team.

The team may change but if James does indeed start it then I can only presume his strategy is to push for a strong finish. Is this a sign that James wants to turn the "strong bench" tables on Cork?

NP 76

Mc Ardle is a massive gamble but he obvivously is showing well in training James is not thinking about him if he is not confident he can do a job . Dont believe that Doyle will start looked like he was injuried last week and as someone said the consession of games is taking its toll .Fitzpatrick is like someone low on confidence and might be better coming off the bench . He hasnt played all that well from a starting place and seems better when he watches the game for a while . The correct use of the bench is vital so lets hope there is no pre arranged substitutions and it is down to how well each player is doing not like september . See Mooneys grandmother has died yesterday

stevetharlear

Down look to have a stronger bench alright this year but I wouldn't write off Cork's either. Sure we're down Nick Murphy, Colm O Neill and Ciaran Sheehan, the latter 2 providing a lot of the guile in our forward line but when it comes to powerful lads off the bench we don't compare. Paudi Kissane, probably Canty, Fiachra Lynch, Denis O Sullivan all pushing hard for the starting 15 but probably won't make it. Where we're short is corner/full forward options. If Down want to win this one you'll have to get a biggish lead and hold on, can't see ye living with us otherwise.

Really hope this is better than the final last year, obviously I'm tipping Cork but best of luck tomorrow and hope it's a cracker, the football championship could do with one.

PAULD123

Some bad news. Coalan Mooney's grandmother deied last night and will be buried tomorrow. It looks like he won't be able to go to the gam at all.

whitegoodman

I go tomorrow in hope rather in expectation.

The positives are that I really feel our much maligned full back line can at least break even against Cork's full forward line.  Brannigan is playing as well as he ever has, McCartan is going to be a top player and Dan is playing with great confidence and authority.

Our full foward line has the ability to roast the full back line and I really hope they put Canty on Coulter.  Dont think Cork will know what to make of Laverty and by the time they do I hope it is too late for them.

Cork are not playing as well as last year and have some injuries to key players.  Do they have the same motivation as last year?  Do they have the same motivation as Down to avenge last years defeat?

That unfortunately is were the positives end imo.  Now for the negative.

Our half back line are not playing even close to the level they performed last year.  I would stick with them in the hope that they up their game as they are all big game players.

Midfield has been and still is problematic.  King gives a physical presence, gives his all, overs defensive cover but lacks stamina.  McArdle is big, strong, pacey and energetic. He does however lack composure, experience and a cool head.  Fitzpatrick is a player lacking in confidence and may be better sprung from the bench but may be called upon to start as a necessity.  Hopefully Ambrose is fit to come on 4 15/20 but at this stage it looks unlikely.

The half foward line have had injury problems and a lack of top form.  Are Maginn and Hughes fully fit? Is Doyle fit to run and up down Croke Park with the Cork half backs?  Thankfully Poland returned to some of last years form last wk and long may it continue but we are still waiting for Marty to ignite.  Hopefully this is the time and the place.

As I said I go in hope.  I would never bet against Down but Cork -3 at evens looks pretty good odds.

borderfox

Best of luck to Down tomorrow I really hope ye can pull it off and win.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

stevetharlear

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 22, 2011, 09:16:40 PM.

Our full foward line has the ability to roast the full back line and I really hope they put Canty on Coulter.  Dont think Cork will know what to make of Laverty and by the time they do I hope it is too late for them.
No way in the world Canty will be in the full back line. The Cork back 3 will be Cotter-Shields-Cadogan. Pretty solid.

western exile

I am not as pessimistic as some posters.  I am a big believer in momentum.
Last year Down only beat Longford by 4 points in round 2 and almost lost to Offally in round 3, but clicked in round 4 to win by a huge margin v. Sligo.
This year they have arguably done better by beating Leitrim in round 2 and Antrim in round 3, both by bigger margins.  The Longford and Offally of 2010 are not much different to the Leitrim and Antrim of 2011.
Of course Cork of 2011 are better than Sligo of 2010, but this could just be the round that Down click.  So the Down +3 just might be a better bet than the Cork -3

whitegoodman

Was being pretty optimistic thinking that Canty would go on Coulter.  Will it be Shields or Cadogen on Coulter?

You think Canty will go to CHB or not start at all?

bcarrier

If what goes around comes around Cadogan and O Leary will get what is coming to them shortly.

thewobbler

Down at 6/1 double result is an interesting price. Down can't win this coming from behind - Cork's athleticism sees them stepping up a gear in the second half.

NP 76

Quote from: PAULD123 on July 22, 2011, 09:03:59 PM
Some bad news. Coalan Mooney's grandmother deied last night and will be buried tomorrow. It looks like he won't be able to go to the gam at all.
He trained last night would say he will be there