Galway vs Waterford

Started by stickman2011, July 14, 2011, 10:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

QuoteGalway needs a few tinkers.

tinkers like yer man who pulled across the Waterford sub in the last minute or thinkers ? 

Ye just need a new manager because I often had more motivation going to the pub than that team had today. Im not saying it is the managers fault but there seems to be a bit of a gap there somewhere. It will be some final with Waterford and Dublin.
Seafoid, what about Ollie Canning, did he retire altogether or does he play or manage a club?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2011, 06:42:21 PM
You are hurling bipolar, Deiseach.  I presume your fatalism is there in the background. 
Are you elated this evening or merely stable ?

Stable. Watching it on the telly removes you from the excitement (although watching it on the telly was probably why I never have nightmares over the loss to Limerick in 2007 - being removed can be a positive). Not being able to truly revel in it means I've had too much time to think of the futility of what's ahead of us. We're hurling's Andy Murray, caught between the masses and the classes

lilpaulie85

Just happy to see a bit of flair back in the waterford team. the brick walsh was emmence today back in the more familiar surroundings of the half back line. bring on the cats and have a crack at them again. Hard to know how to rate it tough giving how quickly galway seemed to throw in the towel in the second half.
Chase the dream not the competition.

Forever Green

Good performance by Waterford but that will be overshadowed by the absolute shambles that was Galway. They should be ashamed of themselves for giving up the way they did. Anyway, hope Waterford give the Cats a good game but i think Kilkenny will prevail with at least 7 points to spare.

mckieran

The worst performance I have ever seen by Galway in the championship.  No fight, no heart, no determination. I am not trying to take away from Waterford but I truly believe that it was more Galway's inadequateness rather than Waterfords strength.

I defended this Galway team staunchly in the aftermath of the Dublin game. One poor game doesnt make them a poor team. But two performances this year where they have been completely out muscled by sheer determination is just unacceptable. Most disappointing was the performance of David Burke; this guy looks awesome in one game and then mediocre in the next. I know he is young but he has to emerge as a leader. One has to wonder if the likes of Fergal Moore, David Collins, Cullinane, Smith, Gantley should be perservered with. Usually, I am against "clear outs" but I am disillusioned after yesterday. I thought Galway were only narrowly behind Tipp & Kilkenny. The Clare defender Pat Vaughan said something similiar in Saturday's indo. It looks like the end for McIntyre whi in fairness talked very frnkly about Galways failing afterwards.

As for Waterfors, I still think they are not much of a team this year and whill be whupped by Kilkenny. Hopefully they will prove me wrong. Because if not, it just shows how far behind Galway are from that level.

deiseach

I don't I've ever seen as listless a performance from a top order inter-county side. Paul Flynn picked up on the moment when Michael Walsh was able to saunter into the Galway half with ne'er a challenge from anyone. That's twice now this year that Galway simply didn't show up. Bizarre

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on July 25, 2011, 01:48:37 PM
I don't I've ever seen as listless a performance from a top order inter-county side. Paul Flynn picked up on the moment when Michael Walsh was able to saunter into the Galway half with ne'er a challenge from anyone. That's twice now this year that Galway simply didn't show up. Bizarre

Were you not at the Munster final?  ;D

TippTony

Quote from: orangeman on July 24, 2011, 05:36:32 PM
Dirty stroke by Tony Og Regan there at the last.

It probably seems a minor point in light of the game and the results and the rest of it, but that was a right nasty deliberate foul in the last seconds of the game. No call for it at all from a team well beaten by the better team on the day. Umpires should have spotted it and ref should have made a point of at least booking him.

Fair play to Waterford, they made the most of a poor Galway display.

I thought Dublin were lucky to limp over the line. If Limerick had straighter hurls there'd be 3 Munster teams in the semis. Good year for Limerick all the same.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 25, 2011, 02:15:18 PM
Quote from: deiseach on July 25, 2011, 01:48:37 PM

Were you not at the Munster final?  ;D

I asked for that :P

seafoid

Déiseach

The other day I came across the famous photo of Eoin Kelly being congratulated by his girlfriend in a non traditional fashion after the 2008 semifinal while their son wandered off with a hurl in his hands and was wondering what happened to Waherford in 2009. How come it was Tipp that made the next step  upwards ?

I think so much of  GAA success is psychological and it's a real pity to see Tipp there instead of your crowd. 

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2011, 06:40:10 PM
It is very disappointing but it always comes back to the same thing. The team never progresses beyond this point. So the hurlersnever get the experience the others have. 

2006 was the start of it. That was far more disappointing than today. 

A new manager and a clearout - that is what they are looking for in Cavan, Meath, Monaghan etc.
Drop the passengers.
Galway needs a few tinkers. And a few players who will burst a gut for the county.
But the next 5 years are all to play for.   

I think the oldies know what the problem is

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/vincent-hogan/vincent-hogan-have-galway-become-a-soft-touch-2678858.html

Brendan Lynskey pauses, as if to gather his words into more orderly bundles. He is angry. Not irritable or uneasy, but stridently, palpably angry. "I'm trying to say this without blowing a head gasket," he sighs. "But there's a problem here in Galway..."

Conor Hayes is on first-name terms with Lynskey's "problem." Having guided the county to their last All-Ireland final appearance in 2005, he stepped down one year later, exasperated. He talks now of a "culture of excuses" in Galway hurling. "People will be down my throat now when they read this," says the last man to carry the Liam MacCarthy Cup west.
"I don't care, let them talk away. I've seen it at close quarters."
Noel Lane's frustration is asterisked by an innate reluctance to be seen as opportunistic or unfair. "I hate ever questioning players," says the manager of the 2001 defeated All-Ireland finalists. "But you have to ask do they not have the mental toughness or physical ruthlessness, that savage will to win? And there's only one way for them to answer that question."

Yeajh the boys were bang on. And that was before the Dublin game. Pretty much everything they said came to pass - Galway dominated in the air, dominated physically and not enough fight when things got tough. I feel sorry for the players because I don't doubt that they're giving it everything. Also John McIntyre's honesty in the job has been brilliant. I wouldn't really blame him though some of the short passing in the Waterford game was suicidal. Tis hard to know what the problem is but maybe we need to get someone like Donal O Grady or Anthony Daly to come in and look at the way we are doing things in Galway. Not to manage the team but just to give us a few suggestins about where it's all going wrong.

stickman2011

AZOffaly

Minder

Quote from: Asal Mor on July 27, 2011, 04:26:19 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2011, 06:40:10 PM
It is very disappointing but it always comes back to the same thing. The team never progresses beyond this point. So the hurlersnever get the experience the others have. 

2006 was the start of it. That was far more disappointing than today. 

A new manager and a clearout - that is what they are looking for in Cavan, Meath, Monaghan etc.
Drop the passengers.
Galway needs a few tinkers. And a few players who will burst a gut for the county.
But the next 5 years are all to play for.   

I think the oldies know what the problem is

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/vincent-hogan/vincent-hogan-have-galway-become-a-soft-touch-2678858.html

Brendan Lynskey pauses, as if to gather his words into more orderly bundles. He is angry. Not irritable or uneasy, but stridently, palpably angry. "I'm trying to say this without blowing a head gasket," he sighs. "But there's a problem here in Galway..."

Conor Hayes is on first-name terms with Lynskey's "problem." Having guided the county to their last All-Ireland final appearance in 2005, he stepped down one year later, exasperated. He talks now of a "culture of excuses" in Galway hurling. "People will be down my throat now when they read this," says the last man to carry the Liam MacCarthy Cup west.
"I don't care, let them talk away. I've seen it at close quarters."
Noel Lane's frustration is asterisked by an innate reluctance to be seen as opportunistic or unfair. "I hate ever questioning players," says the manager of the 2001 defeated All-Ireland finalists. "But you have to ask do they not have the mental toughness or physical ruthlessness, that savage will to win? And there's only one way for them to answer that question."

Yeajh the boys were bang on. And that was before the Dublin game. Pretty much everything they said came to pass - Galway dominated in the air, dominated physically and not enough fight when things got tough. I feel sorry for the players because I don't doubt that they're giving it everything. Also John McIntyre's honesty in the job has been brilliant. I wouldn't really blame him though some of the short passing in the Waterford game was suicidal. Tis hard to know what the problem is but maybe we need to get someone like Donal O Grady or Anthony Daly to come in and look at the way we are doing things in Galway. Not to manage the team but just to give us a few suggestins about where it's all going wrong.

Surely the most obvious factor is that too many players aren't good enough. Is the Galway club championship not got a reputation for some fairly "primitive" stuff with the stick? Yet the county team don't seem to stand up too well to the physical challenge.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"