Galway vs Waterford

Started by stickman2011, July 14, 2011, 10:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Listening to this from abroad. Sounds like a new low for Galway. Fair play to Waterford. Moran, the two Walshes, Mullane and Prendergast outstanding by the sound of it. Galway getting killed in the air as usual.

orangeman

The annihilation in the Munster final will seem a long way away this evening. Waterford full value for their win and they have also had a hatful of wides.

Similarly, the drubbings that Galway dished out to the big teams, mist notably Cork will also seem a world away.

seafoid

lilpaulie85

final score 2-23 v 2-13 to the deise
Chase the dream not the competition.

orangeman

Dirty stroke by Tony Og Regan there at the last.

Davy crying his eyes out - please Davy cop yourself on !!!    ;) :D

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2011, 05:21:57 PM
It is like 1998 all over again.

But fair play to Deiseach..

Nothing to do with me, I didn't make it to the game due to getting home late from my stay in England. I'd despair if I were from Galway.

Asal Mor

Where do we go from here? It's depressing. Only the Galway subs Donnellan, Daly and Harte showed any resistance. No fight. Now that we're in Leinster we can't use the "coming in cold" excuse anymore. It looks completely hopeless for Galway hurling right now  -at least at senior level. Brilliant by Waterford. It took balls to come back from that hiding. Hope they go all the way now.

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on July 24, 2011, 05:39:54 PM

Nothing to do with me, I didn't make it to the game due to getting home late from my stay in England. I'd despair if I were from Galway.

But at least you get 2 weeks extra of hurling interest with the possibility of more .
I hope the semifinal goes well.

I don't think despair is in order for Galway. It's no different to any other recent year.
There is no point in doing a Mayo on it.

Asal Mor

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2011, 05:47:47 PM

But at least you get 2 weeks extra of hurling interest with the possibility of more .
I hope the semifinal goes well.

I don't think despair is in order for Galway. It's no different to any other recent year.
There is no point in doing a Mayo on it.

I don't know seafoid. After last year's defeat to Tipp I was heartbroken but we felt we were really getting there. Now it's impossible to see us winning an All - Ireland in the next 5 years at least. I think any young talent that could help turn it around is at minor level and not u-21 as well.

seafoid

It is very disappointing but it always comes back to the same thing. The team never progresses beyond this point. So the hurlersnever get the experience the others have. 

2006 was the start of it. That was far more disappointing than today. 

A new manager and a clearout - that is what they are looking for in Cavan, Meath, Monaghan etc.
Drop the passengers.
Galway needs a few tinkers. And a few players who will burst a gut for the county.
But the next 5 years are all to play for.   

I think the oldies know what the problem is

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/vincent-hogan/vincent-hogan-have-galway-become-a-soft-touch-2678858.html

Brendan Lynskey pauses, as if to gather his words into more orderly bundles. He is angry. Not irritable or uneasy, but stridently, palpably angry. "I'm trying to say this without blowing a head gasket," he sighs. "But there's a problem here in Galway..."

Conor Hayes is on first-name terms with Lynskey's "problem." Having guided the county to their last All-Ireland final appearance in 2005, he stepped down one year later, exasperated. He talks now of a "culture of excuses" in Galway hurling. "People will be down my throat now when they read this," says the last man to carry the Liam MacCarthy Cup west.
"I don't care, let them talk away. I've seen it at close quarters."
Noel Lane's frustration is asterisked by an innate reluctance to be seen as opportunistic or unfair. "I hate ever questioning players," says the manager of the 2001 defeated All-Ireland finalists. "But you have to ask do they not have the mental toughness or physical ruthlessness, that savage will to win? And there's only one way for them to answer that question."

seafoid

You are hurling bipolar, Deiseach.  I presume your fatalism is there in the background. 
Are you elated this evening or merely stable ?

Minder

That Galway team should be ashamed after that "effort", never seen so many players running at half pace.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on July 24, 2011, 07:23:47 PM
That Galway team should be ashamed after that "effort", never seen so many players running at half pace.

You back them as well?   :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Good interview with the Galway manager.
Who says the county needs to have a good look at why all the underage and club success is not turned into anything at senior level. 

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/mediaplayer.html?features,3010120,3010120,flash,255

Minder

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 24, 2011, 08:13:38 PM
Quote from: Minder on July 24, 2011, 07:23:47 PM

You back them as well?   :P

Didnt do a bet. Couldnt believe how they gave up. When Waterford went 3 or 4 up at the start of the second half that was game over. Their use of the ball was atrocious, they were trying wee 15/20 yard passes, under no pressure, and turning them into hospital balls. There doesent seem to be too many leaders on that team.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"