Dublin v Cork

Started by Northside Dub, March 07, 2007, 08:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Agree Tayto

A lot of the Dublin players look as if they are having a later start to training and are undergoing the heavy fitness work which will take it out of their legs now...

McConnell would have played full back but for suspension so tried O'Shea
Cahill trying as a wingback ahead of Casey
Moran at CB instead of Cullen
Brennan ahead of Goggins
Magee back in at midfield - O'Mahony missing through injury
Murray/Connolly starting at wing forward etc
Dotsie starting and now B Brogan...

Still has Lally, Vaughan,  Cosgrove etc to come back

INDIANA

"Agree Tayto

A lot of the Dublin players look as if they are having a later start to training and are undergoing the heavy fitness work which will take it out of their legs now...

McConnell would have played full back but for suspension so tried O'Shea
Cahill trying as a wingback ahead of Casey
Moran at CB instead of Cullen
Brennan ahead of Goggins
Magee back in at midfield - O'Mahony missing through injury
Murray/Connolly starting at wing forward etc
Dotsie starting and now B Brogan...

Still has Lally, Vaughan,  Cosgrove etc to come back "

Disagree- brennan ahead of googins is a form selection both played in the o byrne cup that ain't experimentation.
casey was dropped for poor form rather than anything else.
O Mahony wouldn't have started had darren been available.
murray played wing-forward in last year's league(hardly experimentation)
I don't believe pillar fancies dotsy as a championship player- why i don't know you'd often hear stories from training of him roasting lads yet he's constantly overlooked in summer time.
Cullen wasn't available- that's the only reason moran was number 6 again i wouldn't call that experimentation.
I don't think lally or cosgrove will add anything. Vaughan could be the biggest  talent in dublin for a decade if if he gets a few brain cells.(hopefully santa sorted that one out)
Granted Connolly and b brogan could be classed as experimentation but i think the point being made is that pillar has simply picked the best 15 players available to him bar maybe one position per game. He' sjust largely re-tried players who were there before - i sympathise with him though because we haven't the talent of other counties - so we largely end up rotating positions from what we have to come up with a better combination- which unfortuantely hasn't worked. ONly really connolly and brennan have been added and only brennan looks like breaking into the starting 15  come june.
Again i don't think pillar is a huge fan of shane ryan but judging by the size of the arse shane's  been carrying - he'd have needed a buggy to get around the pitch at the moment. He wouldn't want to leave it too long because i believe pillar will go with whelan and magee if fit come championship.

tayto

Well it looks like we've different definitions of experimentation, some people seem to think you have to play whelan in goal for it to be considered experimentation, i just think looking at a players that didnt feature last summer is experimentation.  :P

INDIANA

Expermentation would have been picking b brogan- d connolly- d murray- maybe moran at number 5( we've rarely seen collie in the wing back slot for dublin)  from the first game and giving them 3-4 games to see how they got on. But by and large anyone who doesn't perform gets dropped- so that's what would lead me to draw the conclusion that's he's picking his best 15 from what's available to him for each game largely based on form or prior experience like whelan-cullen-brogan-keaney-griffin and cluxton will always start if fit.

tayto

but he's dropped dotsy and bonner, two of the better performers to date, dotsy in order to give b brogan a run and he seems to be determined to keep keaney in there even tho he's been playing shite the last few games. not the selections of a manager trying to win a competition in my opinion.

Northside Dub

If Griff can keep masters quiet i think we'll come away with a win! I hope B Brogan plays as well as he's been playing all year!!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

tayto

A good performance from him and surely he'll get another chance. Containing Masters is vital, and not giving away frees in scorable positions, which we're fierce fond of doing. 

DUBSFORSAM1

Well I guess that wasn't too bad a result or performance.......

Up to 4th in the table - a strong improvement in scoring difference over the 2 teams below us which could be vital..

If we beat Mayo/Kerry and Fermanagh a play-off place is in our own hands.......(not a certainty at all)......

timmykelleher

Just read the report in the Tribune.
Apparently the scoreline flattered us, with 3 of our points coming when the game was over  :-[
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

INDIANA

to cut a long story short that's the best dublin have played since laois last year-demoloished cork but cork were so bad it was funny. some of it was down to dublin who didn't let them get into the game- but some of cork's play will be making re-runs of "you have been framed" or "tarrant tv" for years to come. They were an absolute disgrace- dublin looked masterful against donegal in comparison. Billy Morgan musn't have a blade of hair on his head with this crew who mix the brilliant with the shite in a mysifying mix.
Strong performaces by everybody in blue really should keep us in div 1 if we beat fermanagh- the best performances by cork were by their subs who didn't play.

Canalman

Listened to game on radio. The lads at our junior game this morning were saying that Darren Magee had a stormer as had Jayo for the spell he had on the pitch.
Still hard to fathom out any real trend to this division (bar Donegal's good form).Looks like 2 from Donegal,Kerry or Mayo for semis.

Hound

I wouldnt say Magee had a stormer. But Whelan and Magee as a combination did win the midfield battle - particularly the first 20 minutes where they won everything and helped us build up the big lead.

If I was to pick out one man who might have had a stormer, it'd be Cullen. Henry and Griffin in the corners were both very good, as usual, too.

Sherlock was also instrumental in Dublin building up the match winning 8 point lead early on. His intelligence is vital to the team. If he's not making space for himself, he's creating it for someone else. He always does the right thing when in possesion. Mossy Quinn was very good also, 4 points from play. And Keaney finally put in a decent game.

The worrying part was that we finished both halves poorly enough - could have won by 15 points plus if we'd more of a killer instinct. But given the overall display was good by just about everybody thats being harsh.

Cork werent bad in the first half, they were just being outplayed - though Anthony Lynch was playing as well as anyone on the pitch. But in the 2nd half, Cork were dire. The forwards (perhaps with the exclusion of Masters) were abysmal.

Hound

Anyone see what was going on between Masters and the Dubs fans behind the goals in the first half? Masters was making hand gestures towards the fans, but I couldnt work out what exactly they were....... seemed like banter rather than anything untoward.

forkinknife

I said after the Tyrone game that this side has it. That first half display was something that will live with me forever. We are finding men who can live with the best at this level. Whelan looks as if he has the mind sorted out and is willing to give it a real lash this year. On their day, no one will live with Whelo and Magee. With Cullen on form, this is the year. I wouldn't rule out a semi appearance yet. Bring on the culchies from Killarney.

Bensars

Quote from: forkinknife on March 12, 2007, 02:12:55 PM
I said after the Tyrone game that this side has it. That first half display was something that will live with me forever. We are finding men who can live with the best at this level. Whelan looks as if he has the mind sorted out and is willing to give it a real lash this year. On their day, no one will live with Whelo and Magee. With Cullen on form, this is the year. I wouldn't rule out a semi appearance yet. Bring on the culchies from Killarney.

You said quite a few things forkinknife. ;D
You still with paula ??  And   hows the rash clearing up ?

Good to see you back   fit and well !!