The 140th Open Championship

Started by laoislad, July 11, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Must be great to be a middle class prod golf fan in the last few months.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

The Worker

Quote from: Trout on July 18, 2011, 06:40:49 PM

it is.

fitzroyalty

Great boost for Irish golf.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 18, 2011, 06:54:10 PM
Great boost for northern/Northern Irish golf.

whitegoodman

At least 4 major champions at the Irish Open in 2 wks with maybe the 2 SA champions in chubbys stable joining them.  Could be the best field the Irish Open has had in years.

What do people make of the possibility of the Irish Open going to Portrush in the future as being reported by the BBC this evening.  In fairness if it happened and they could get a date a wk or 2 before the Open they would get some field with a lot of the top players coming over for preparation for the Open.

At the same time some may say that the golf authorities in the north are trying to dip their feet in 2 possible markets.  Do they see portrush being both irish and british in that they want both the irish open and british open to be played there.  Not one for bringing political things into a golf forum but it does seem a bit strange to me.

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: whitegoodman on July 18, 2011, 07:45:09 PM
At least 4 major champions at the Irish Open in 2 wks with maybe the 2 SA champions in chubbys stable joining them.  Could be the best field the Irish Open has had in years.

What do people make of the possibility of the Irish Open going to Portrush in the future as being reported by the BBC this evening.  In fairness if it happened and they could get a date a wk or 2 before the Open they would get some field with a lot of the top players coming over for preparation for the Open.

At the same time some may say that the golf authorities in the north are trying to dip their feet in 2 possible markets.  Do they see portrush being both irish and british in that they want both the irish open and british open to be played there.  Not one for bringing political things into a golf forum but it does seem a bit strange to me.

They would need dispensation from the GUI wouldn't they? Are the R&A prepared to take the show on the road outside their jurisdiction?

Minder

I wouldnt have thought Portrush has the infrastructure to hold a British Open but that doesent seem to stop fellas like Stephen Watson almost demanding it now because of the recent success of our local British golfers.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

whitegoodman

The R&A said they are going to look into the possibilty and the seniors open was played there a few years ago as well as the open it self all be it 50 years ago.

Is the GUI an all ireland association?

Minder

McIlroy and the woman have split up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hardy

What? They organise golf in a 32-county Ireland? Surely that's provocative to the unionist community! Is that why the golf clubs of the six counties are a cold house for protestants?

michaelg

Quote from: Rouge_Diablo on July 18, 2011, 07:48:07 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on July 18, 2011, 07:45:09 PM

They would need dispensation from the GUI wouldn't they? Are the R&A prepared to take the show on the road outside their jurisdiction?
Not sure why they would need dispensation from the GUI - The GUI covers 2 jurisdictions, one of which is in the UK - Therefore, presumably if the R&A deem Royal Portrush to be a viable option there should not be an issue

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2011, 08:54:54 PM
What? They organise golf in a 32-county Ireland? Surely that's provocative to the unionist community! Is that why the golf clubs of the six counties are a cold house for protestants?

Hell yeah. No sick county banners in golf clubs here. You'll only ever see the proper ulster emblem.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on July 18, 2011, 09:00:42 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2011, 08:54:54 PM

Hell yeah. No sick county banners in golf clubs here. You'll only ever see the proper ulster emblem.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians