The 140th Open Championship

Started by laoislad, July 11, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 18, 2011, 09:27:27 AM
"I'm not a fan of golf tournaments that the outcome is predicted by so much by the weather, it's not my sort of golf" Rory McIlroy gracious in defeat.
Indeed, cos weather had absolutely no bearing in making the greens at Congessional dartboard like, why, typical US Open greens weren't they Roars?

Minder

Quote from: Doogie Browser on July 18, 2011, 09:17:53 AM
Well done O'Neill, great lift for you!

What did you all make of McIlroy's interview after?  he sounded like a spoilt child I thought, basically cried about the conditions and the course 'I don't like playing in the cold and wet, it's not fair etc etc' maybe I am being harsh but I thought he could have had a little more grace.  Inexperience perhaps.

Yeah that's exactly how he sounded, like a spoilt little brat. He said he isn't going to change the way he plays for one tournament. Every other player has tried to adapt their game when playing links golf I would have thought. He doesent play the TPC at Sawgrass because he reckons the course doesn't suit his game. Will he do the same with the Open?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bogball XV

Quote from: thebigfella on July 18, 2011, 10:06:28 AMDid you see the full interview or you going to cherry pick the piece to back up your point? Did you read any of his tweets about Clarke? You don't mention the fact Garcia said the same when he was interviewed.

Begrudging C**T's like you seriously need to get a life and quit over analysing every little thing he says ::) Again someone on this board tries to descend another golf thread into some agenda against McIlroy. The congressional thread was a disgrace at times, especially as the posters are supposed to be sports fans round here. You and some other the other posters on here are a real credit to the GAA  ::)
I don't think any posters are representing the GAA, maybe some do, but when posting on here using an alias, I don't think that's the case.  I'm sure that Rory is big mates with Clarke, they've both said as much and I'm sure he was genuinely delighted for him, that doesn't change the fact that his comments were a bit stupid.  And whilst he generally conducts himself well and especially so after Augusta, he has a bit of a history of stupid comments.

Applesisapples

Quote from: thebigfella on July 18, 2011, 10:06:28 AM
"I'm not a fan of golf tournaments that the outcome is predicted by so much by the weather, it's not my sort of golf" Rory McIlroy gracious in defeat.

Did you see the full interview or you going to cherry pick the piece to back up your point? Did you read any of his tweets about Clarke? You don't mention the fact Garcia said the same when he was interviewed.

Begrudging C**T's like you seriously need to get a life and quit over analysing every little thing he says ::) Again someone on this board tries to descend another golf thread into some agenda against McIlroy. The congressional thread was a disgrace at times, especially as the posters are supposed to be sports fans round here. You and some other the other posters on here are a real credit to the GAA  ::)
That's from the Irish News, I don't like him and you calling me all the c**ts of the day ain't going to change that. Compare him to Clarke, Harrington and G Mac, spolilt, crass, sullen the words of other posters sum him up really. The board is all about opinions and some such as yourself result to insult when people don't hold the same views as you...says it all really.

gerrykeegan

Did you see the full interview or you going to cherry pick the piece to back up your point? Did you read any of his tweets about Clarke? You don't mention the fact Garcia said the same when he was interviewed.

Jesus BigFella you got out of the wrong side of the bed today! I am a big Rory fan, I have watched countless interviews with Rory and he has come across very well fielding the difficult questions, Yesterday he was pissed off and despite the BBC interviewer asking a stupid question, Rory could have swerved it,  "I grew up playing links golf, just couldn't get the feel for the greens," blah blah blah  instead he appeared to me sullen. Its the first time i would have been critical of him on his TV interviews.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Doogie Browser

Slight over-reaction there bigfella!  This is not an anti-OWC crusade, it is more of a criticism of his attitude towards the conditions, conditions that he faced last year at St Andrews also.  Yesterday's interview was more to do with inexperience I would say, he will get a bit more media savvy as he gets older.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2011, 10:19:36 AM
Great way to while away an afternoon . Have to say that some of the BBC commentators don't seem to like each other. That guy Alliss has a somewhat barbed manner about him, threw in a imo snide dig at nurses during the commentary. Not a fan.
I don't know if it was because of what he said earlier in the week but as the weekend progressed I found myself hating Mark James, he treated Cotter in particularly with contempt/arrogance all weekend.
On a related note, does Ken Brown help out Clarke with some coaching?

thebigfella

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 18, 2011, 10:28:02 AM

That's from the Irish News, I don't like him and you calling me all the c**ts of the day ain't going to change that. Compare him to Clarke, Harrington and G Mac, spolilt, crass, sullen the words of other posters sum him up really. The board is all about opinions and some such as yourself result to insult when people don't hold the same views as you...says it all really.

You have just emphasized my point precisely. "You don't like him", so your post is hardly impartial or balanced.

stephenite

Rory just called me, he is fairly distraught. 'It's been a tough enough week he said but finding out that applesisapples doesn't like me is the final straw'

Applesisapples

Quote from: stephenite on July 18, 2011, 10:58:07 AM
Rory just called me, he is fairly distraught. 'It's been a tough enough week he said but finding out that applesisapples doesn't like me is the final straw'
He doesn't like me either! I'm equally distraught! LOL  :D I'm quite sure none of the people discussed on here give a flying fcuk, but some posters do really need to get a life.

Hardy

I've read some shite on this board in my day, but the syllable-by-syllable parsing of Rory McIlroy's off the cuff answers to inane questions is right up there. Why are people avidly searching for hints of a slight dip in his likeability quotient? I'd hate to be that lad if this the level of analysis to which his every utterance will be subjected.

Well done Darren. It was strange to be cheering a Tyrone win but it was easier because there was no diving.

ONeill

Did anyone here see what that Meath c*** Hardy wrote about Clarke? He sort of had a dig at him and Tyrone in general.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: stephenite on July 18, 2011, 10:58:07 AM

LOL
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Great win for Clarke, and Armagh seniors, pity about Armagh minors but at least they've a second chance. However I'm still depressed.

I played a club singles match on Friday evening (warm and dry) and despite having 34 points on the 17th, sure I lost 2&1. Then I thought I would carry that great form into Saturdays medal (wet and windy) and ended up 7 over my handicap.

Maybe I should have changed my game to suit the weather.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gaffer

Quote from: ONeill on July 18, 2011, 11:31:39 AM
Did anyone here see what that Meath c*** Hardy wrote about Clarke? He sort of had a dig at him and Tyrone in general.

Heard about it alright !!!

Is he from the county that dived over the line with the ball in the Leinster Final last year and deprived a county of their first Leinster title since God knows?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"