The 140th Open Championship

Started by laoislad, July 11, 2011, 01:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2011, 11:17:51 AM
I've read some shite on this board in my day, but the syllable-by-syllable parsing of Rory McIlroy's off the cuff answers to inane questions is right up there. Why are people avidly searching for hints of a slight dip in his likeability quotient? I'd hate to be that lad if this the level of analysis to which his every utterance will be subjected.

Well done Darren. It was strange to be cheering a Tyrone win but it was easier because there was no diving.

Note how Clarke was able to putt without picking the ball up and throwing it into the hole. I think he really deserved to win for no other reason other than this ability to not cheat.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Hardy

Orior

Quote from: Nally Stand on July 18, 2011, 12:10:53 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 18, 2011, 11:17:51 AM
I've read some shite on this board in my day, but the syllable-by-syllable parsing of Rory McIlroy's off the cuff answers to inane questions is right up there. Why are people avidly searching for hints of a slight dip in his likeability quotient? I'd hate to be that lad if this the level of analysis to which his every utterance will be subjected.

Well done Darren. It was strange to be cheering a Tyrone win but it was easier because there was no diving.

Note how Clarke was able to putt without picking the ball up and throwing it into the hole. I think he really deserved to win for no other reason other than this ability to not cheat.

Wasnt Darren Clarke playing that day for Louth?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

aontroim

http://yfrog.com/kh83975165j

Saw a clip on the news - he partied all night and stopped 30mins before the press conference  :D  The man knows how to celebrate, and who could blame him.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: aontroim on July 18, 2011, 01:13:56 PM
http://yfrog.com/kh83975165j

Saw a clip on the news - he partied all night and stopped 30mins before the press conference  :D  The man knows how to celebrate, and who could blame him.
I see Stephen Nolan was invited to the party.

SLIGONIAN

Delighted for Darren, fair play to him, some character and achievement to keep believing,

I see the rory police are out in force, if you dont like him theyll be after you as your not allowed to not like him, your a begruder or a bold gaa man they say :D
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Applesisapples

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on July 18, 2011, 01:36:40 PM
Delighted for Darren, fair play to him, some character and achievement to keep believing,

I see the rory police are out in force, if you dont like him theyll be after you as your not allowed to not like him, your a begruder or a bold gaa man they say :D
I don't give a fcuk, not afraid to say I still don't like him, delighted for Darren though even though he is from Tyrone, but he's the only Tyrone man that'll get a cheer from me this year. If they can't hack the GAA men on this site they should stick to OWC.

Doogie Browser

I am a big fan of McIlroy but I just thought his reaction was a tad petulant, as I said previously it is possibly his own inexperience, he has made rash comments before (Ryder Cup for example).

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Absolutely delighted for Clarke, just goes to show that the over 4o's can still win majors.
He also comes across as a genuinely nice man.
Tbc....

laoislad

Quote from: Orangemac on July 18, 2011, 12:24:05 AM
Brilliant to see big Darren win this. Thought his chance had gone years ago to be honest.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy and as someone has said seems to be genuinely liked by his peers.Should be some party tonight.

Also fair play to Phil Mickelson who was gracious in defeat. Used to think he was obnoxious years ago but he is a gentleman in victory and defeat.

I would imagine Clarke and Mickelson are close enough as Mickelson's wife had cancer.
I noticed Clarke even sought Mickelson's wife out afterwards to give her a hug.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2011, 10:19:36 AM
Great way to while away an afternoon . Have to say that some of the BBC commentators don't seem to like each other. That guy Alliss has a somewhat barbed manner about him, threw in a imo snide dig at nurses during the commentary. Not a fan.

Alliss is a pain the hole to listen to,he is forever banging on about the good 'ol days and how everyone and everything was better back then,I really can't stomach listening to him at all.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Hereiam

Dungannon locals celebrate a great win by Darren Clarke

Nally Stand

Quote from: laoislad on July 18, 2011, 02:51:58 PM
Quote from: Canalman on July 18, 2011, 10:19:36 AM
Great way to while away an afternoon . Have to say that some of the BBC commentators don't seem to like each other. That guy Alliss has a somewhat barbed manner about him, threw in a imo snide dig at nurses during the commentary. Not a fan.

Alliss is a pain the hole to listen to,he is forever banging on about the good 'ol days and how everyone and everything was better back then,I really can't stomach listening to him at all.

Reminds me of someone else.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Tony Baloney

Canalman

Clarke indulged in one of my pet hates during the last round............. nonchalantly flicking away his used cigarettes. Not a dickey bird said about it.

Very bad manners at best of times, but I would have thought a complete no no on the golf course.

Apart from that minor gripe always nice to see a sportsman win with a smile on his face.