GAA Board Demographic

Started by AZOffaly, July 11, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your involvement with the GAA? Choose multiple options if appropriate

Supporter Only, Never Played, Coached or Filled Role in Club.
14 (1400%)
Ex, or current, Club player
112 (11200%)
Ex, or current, County Player
21 (2100%)
Ex, or Current Coach of Adult teams (including County)
23 (2300%)
Ex, or Current coach of kids teams, including Go Games etc.
42 (4200%)
Ex, or current, County Board Official
15 (1500%)
Ex, or current, Club Official
45 (4500%)
Club Fundraiser
31 (3100%)
Other - Please Specify Below
6 (600%)
Journalist/Media
6 (600%)

Total Members Voted: 0

AZOffaly

I posted in a thread on the non GAA side about the Newstalk programme on Saturday afternoon there. I was listening to it when I was inside in the Gaelic Grounds before the match, and Tommy Carr and Val Andrews had a right cut at internet forums. I was quite disappointed listening to it, because I didn't recognise myself in the type of person they were describing.

I know anonymity irks people, and I know at times internet forums go above and beyond what's acceptable in terms of personal criticism, but in general I think those incidents are reported and dealt with.

I don't think much is said here that is not uttered in pubs and grounds around the country, the difference being that what you type is there for everyone to see, unless you delete it.

However, a thought struck me as I listened. Who do Val and Tommy think use these boards? What do they think is the demographic of board users? I got the impression that they feel that the people on these boards know nothing about the GAA, and contribute very little. That's what made me disappointed. Not so much to be called names, indirectly, but that good GAA people like Val and Tommy would think that.

Malachy Clerkin was on it as well, and tried to give some balance, but I think he was intimidated to be honest, as Tommy and Val went on and on.

So, I've added a poll here to try and get a sense of the people who use the board. Please be honest in your answers, and you can choose as many as are appropriate.

AZOffaly

Good stuff. Keep the votes coming, and please be honest. Did anyone hear the discussion I'm referring to?

ziggysego

Didn't hear it, is there a link to it?
Testing Accessibility

AZOffaly

I'm sure it'll be on http:\\www.newstalk.com They have a section Shows, where you can select Sports Saturday, and then there's a 'Listen Back' tab. It was early enough on the show on Sat. Probably 2 o'clock ish.

IolarCoisCuain

I'd have time for Val Andrews. Think he's a good GAA man. Doubt he's all that into new technology so fair enough. Not everyone can keep up, and a lot of stuff is hype and blather anyway.

Tommy "Tom" Carr, on the other hand, is a mystery to me. Who takes that man seriously, and why? I reckon the wife has to butter his toast in the mornings. I'd say he'd slice off a finger through lack of dexterity if he were let at it himself. And not only that, Tommy Tom is so incredibly smug he makes Kevin McStay sound like the Dalai Lama. At least you could imagine having a pint with Val. It'd be the pint of strychnine if you were stuck at the bar with Tommy Tom.

Dinny Breen

To be honest AZ, I have no time for Val Andrews or Tommy Carr, very poor analysts and their respective coaching records speak volumes about their knowledge of the modern game. They must be cheap because I can see no reason why Newstalk would employ them.
#newbridgeornowhere

tbrick18

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2011, 12:36:51 PM
To be honest AZ, I have no time for Val Andrews or Tommy Carr, very poor analysts and their respective coaching records speak volumes about their knowledge of the modern game. They must be cheap because I can see no reason why Newstalk would employ them.

+1

Particularly Tommy Carr.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 11, 2011, 12:38:11 PM

+1

Particularly Tommy Carr.

+2, wouldn't make any distinction between the pair though, neither of them give any insight worth talking about and like Dinny said, their records speak for themselves.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rufus T Firefly

I don't think that Val Andrews' coaching record (or indeed that of Tommy Carr) invalidates his point of view?

I didn't hear the interview myself, so can't really comment.

I do know a friend and club mate of Val Andrews though and he has nothing but praise for the trojan work he has done for Ballymun and the decent fella that he is. I think that needs stated if people here are going to take pot shots at him.

Dinny Breen

QuoteI don't think that Val Andrews' coaching record (or indeed that of Tommy Carr) invalidates his point of view?

As an analyst which is what I stated it absolutely does, as an inter-county coach in the modern game he has been a failure, simple as that and to be honest I switch off the radio anytime he comes on because as a PAID analyst he hasn't a clue. 
#newbridgeornowhere

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 11, 2011, 12:52:32 PM
QuoteI don't think that Val Andrews' coaching record (or indeed that of Tommy Carr) invalidates his point of view?

As an analyst which is what I stated it absolutely does, as an inter-county coach in the modern game he has been a failure, simple as that and to be honest I switch off the radio anytime he comes on because as a PAID analyst he hasn't a clue.

We're talking here about their viewpoint on internet discussion forums. I cannot believe that anyone seriously thinks that a poor inter county coaching record invaildates their point of view on that subject? Mind boggling stuff!!   

magpie seanie

Like all of us here they are entitled to their opinion. What they are not entitled to is to try to shut up people or present a demeaning stereotype to denigrade the opinions of users of internet discussion forums.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Val Andrews that happens away from the glare of the national media so even though his intercounty managment record leaves a lot to be desired I'd have a bit of time for him. Sometimes good managers can fail at intercounty level. Never really warmed to Tommy Carr. I'm sure he has little time for me either!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 11, 2011, 12:59:50 PM
Like all of us here they are entitled to their opinion. What they are not entitled to is to try to shut up people or present a demeaning stereotype to denigrade the opinions of users of internet discussion forums.

Agreed, and if that is what they said, then I would take issue.

AZOffaly

Lads, the point is not their quality, or lack thereof, in terms of coaching teams or even as analysts. What dismayed me is that both of them are solid GAA citizens, who've been around the country, and they seem to have a certain notion about who the people on these forums are.

I know the anonymity of the forums is a big bugbear, and I understand why, especially when some people take advantage of that anonymity to say something, especially personal, that they would never put their real name to.

However, to simply write of the entire internet community on that basis is wrong, and it's disappointing to hear two GAA people go down that route. It was also disappointing to hear Ger Gilroy failing to challenge them on it.

passedit

AZ you're missing two boxes.

Journalists and multiples of the above.
Don't Panic