Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, July 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

ardal

Quote from: ziggysego on July 20, 2011, 03:39:45 PM
The All-Ireland winning Armagh team

Ahhh christ, that's class.

I always knew / wanted to believe Armagh had won 2 AIs, just didn't realise the first was in '53

ONeill

Kernan writes off Armagh Sam chances

Former Armagh manager Joe Kernan has admitted that his native county have little chance of landing Sam Maguire this year.

Kernan guided Armagh to All-Ireland triumph in 2002 and while he rates the current crop, he feels they will come up short against the top teams.

"They'd be a handful for anyone and I can tell you that Kerry, Cork, Kildare, Dublin, any of the top four teams, wouldn't fancy playing them," Kernan said.

"But in terms of ourselves being title contenders, I don't think so.

"Both teams (Armagh and Tyrone) have moved on since we lost the 2003 final. As far as transition is concerned, Armagh would be a wee bit ahead of Tyrone in terms of new guys coming in.

"At the same time, Tyrone still have a bulk of guys who have won All-Irelands available to them, and you couldn't write them off for the All-Ireland."

And while the great games between the counties of the early 2000s seem like a long time ago now, Kernan insists that there will be plenty of thunder when the sides meet this weekend.

"Maybe people might think the two teams don't have that same sort of intensity or sense of vengeance about them but I can tell you the blood still runs strong," he concluded.

http://www.setanta.com/ien/Articles/2011/07/20/Kernan-writes-off-Armagh-Sam-chances/gnid-101131/
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

drici

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

PAULD123

Make no mistake, Armagh or Tyrone could win an All-Ireland. It would require a lucky draw and at least one class performance. Say either one wins and then (no disrespect intended) beats Roscommon. They could get a quarter final against Donegal. Now no doubt either Armagh or Tyrone would have a decent chance against Donegal. I'm not writing Donegal off or being rude, but you saw in the Ulster Semi against Tyrone that it was far from an easy victory. It would be a tight game and would not be a shock if Tyrone or Armagh beat them. They would then probably face a semi against Dublin. Dublin are hit and miss. On top form, yeah Dublin would be expected to win, but even a little off form (and we saw what Wexford did) and again it would not be a major shock if Tyrone or Armagh beat them.

So basically without any massive shocks either team could possibly end up in an All-Ireland final due to a fortunate draw and some decent performances.

You just never know what might happen. The scenario above is only one of hundreds of combinations but very possible. Of course if they faced a route of Kildare, Dublin, Kerry as an alternative then it would be a major shock if they won.

haveaharp

Its unusual for a shit team to stumble their way to an all ireland final. Just doesnt happen that often. Although its not unknown either.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: ziggysego on July 20, 2011, 03:39:45 PM
The All-Ireland winning Armagh team

Official team photo and not some no mark team from the back of beyond :P

EC Unique

Quote from: haveaharp on July 21, 2011, 09:43:44 AM
Its unusual for a shit team to stumble their way to an all ireland final. Just doesnt happen that often. Although its not unknown either.

Down last year, while would be unfair to call them a 'Shit team' it would be fair to say that they are far from the second best team in Ireland.

PAULD123

Quote from: EC Unique on July 21, 2011, 10:11:23 AM

Down last year, while would be unfair to call them a 'Shit team' it would be fair to say that they are far from the second best team in Ireland.

Agree totally and that was more or less my point. Also Down are far from a "shit team" but then so are Armagh and Tyrone. as for it not happening that often, apart from Down in recent years Mayo have got to a couple of finals without being even close to the 2nd best team in the country. Also Wexford in 2008 and Meath in 2007 were hardly world beaters when they got to the semis

Midman

Sorry if i've missed this in the thread but will there be coverage on the wireless?? Im hoping for Newstalk, anything but 5fm

EC Unique

Quote from: Midman on July 21, 2011, 11:07:22 AM
Sorry if i've missed this in the thread but will there be coverage on the wireless?? Im hoping for Newstalk, anything but 5fm

Live online here

http://www.q101west.fm/portal/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=155&Itemid=53

omagh_gael

Quote from: EC Unique on July 21, 2011, 12:06:20 PM

Live online here

http://www.q101west.fm/portal/index.php?
option=com_content&view=article&id=155&Itemid=53

Our paddy and Noel mightn't be too palatable for our Armagh brothers EC ;)

I'm sure BBC radio ulster 1341 MW will also be covering it.

EC Unique

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 21, 2011, 12:15:21 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 21, 2011, 12:06:20 PM

Live online here

http://www.q101west.fm/portal/index.php?
option=com_content&view=article&id=155&Itemid=53

Our paddy and Noel mightn't be too palatable for our Armagh brothers EC ;)

I'm sure BBC radio ulster 1341 MW will also be covering it.

I know what you man OG. Would be interesting to hear their reaction to the commentry though. :D I would love them to install a webcam for a match like this. Would make for interesting viewing ;)

Applesisapples

some might argue it happened last year! But I wouldn't be so rude. :D