Tyrone v Armagh

Started by ONeill, July 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Hard one to call.

Armagh are able to raise their game when they need and easily dispatched AI finalists Down. They also have 2 natural scoring machines in the FF line. They have the advantage of an extra game under their belt and the boost that goes with a replay win. They also never had a fear factor of Tyrone and will relish this match. What they don't have is a manager who makes good changes on the line (or so my Armagh friends tell me). They also lack quality in many other areas Of the field.

Tyrone are poor in Omagh. Unless SON scores early he can go off form trying too hard. We have no natural scorers outside of him though. We do however have more naturally gifted footballers throughout the team and a better bench to make changes from. Harte is also a more astute manager.

The ref will be key here. A game decided on frees will suit Armagh. S Cav will also need some protection, which he has not had so far this year.

I would say this game is 50/50

under the bar

QuoteWe have no natural scorers outside of him though.

Penrose?  Peter Harte?

border rabbit

Really cant see Armagh coming away with a win. And funnily enough if Tyrone were to win I really can see them building on it and going ALOT further this year. Theres definitley 1 last sting in that team and they can handle Dublin and Kerry, and think if they met Cork in a 1 off match theyd beat them too.

We would need Toner, McKeever and Nippy to be all available, and need goals to have any chance. And Im not putting curse on, just being reaistic

tyroneman

Penrose is far from a natural scorer, far, far from it. He has a lot of good qualities and would be in my starting 15 but the team do not look to him to rack up big scores. He misses easy chances and does not lead a line. His workrate and pace are key to his success, not his accuracy.

Pete Harte is a fine player and will be central to Tyrone for the next decade but again, while he got a good return against Longford, his key qualities lie in other areas. I would see him more like Brian, linking play, able to take a score and able to create.

You do not think of either of those 2 in the same way you would consider Gooch, B Brogan, M Meehan, P Bradley or for that matter mcDonnell and J Clarke as scoring forwards. You would however put SoN (on his game) in that bracket.

north down

Quote from: ardchieftain on July 17, 2011, 06:29:14 PM
Does anyone know if they have toilets in omagh ? Or do you just bring your own bucket

Why the concern - the nerves must be getting to you. If I were you I'd bring your own bucket just in case (and bring it back home with you again - but make sure there's no hole in it!)

trileacman

Quote from: tyroneman on July 17, 2011, 12:14:55 PM
There is not a chance Block will mark Clarke.

It will be either PJ, McCaul, Swift or Carlin depending on who shows in training.

It will be more about stopping the ball coming in to him as there is not a lot you can do with him once he's in possession.

Funny how for years we worried about McDonnell, now it's all about JC. If Ronan Clarke got back in action that would prob be the best FF line in Ireland.

Big test for Tyrone, if both teams played to 100% , I blieve we have a good chance of winning. It;ls what Tyrone turns out though - the 17/18 wide Tyrone or the composed, take the percentage score Tyrone.

One of the biggest issues is the lack of a right footed free taker. Hopefull in the next few years R O'Neill will solve that problem.

No chance you say! Wanna bet?   ;)

Neither PJ, McCaul or Swift warranted a starting place or a appearance last week, to suggest that they will be parachuted in to mark one the top forwards in the championship is total bull. Carlin is seen as a wing back not a top defender by MH.

The rest is right enough.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tyroneman

Yeh I know what yr sayin there alright but I just feel Block does not have the pace for Clarke. Crazy as it seems Ricey may even get the job although I think whoever man marks him will be the seconday defence with the real work being done stopping the ball getting to him.

Harte has confidence in swift and he may well get the job. Swift or Ricey that's who inwould put my money on  ;)

snippets

If this turns into an evenly balanced shoot out then I fancy Armagh.  I think we need Cavanagh back in f/f and Stevie in the other.  Petie will do well to score more than 3 this game, because I think he works better when expectations are lowered and the pressure  is elsewhere.  Losing Mugsy could be a big blow.   I just think that unless Stevie bags +4, Cavanagh hits in around the same we may struggle to accumulate more than 10 or 12.  I hopefully am only losing my nerve but  I think we could struggle in effectively another ulster game.  Just not fancying the way the whole thing is developing this year. 
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Orangemac

Quote from: tyroneman on July 17, 2011, 08:05:34 PM
S Cav will also need some protection, which he has not had so far this year.
Yes I have heard this.

ONeill

Keep it clean lads.

Armagh could well walk away from Omagh with a win. They have momentum now with consecutive games.

If Armagh do win, they'll not be bothering the big guns. If Tyrone do, I think they can see football in late summer.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rootthemout

jesus tyrone ones hyping armagh!!you should have been in ulster final and now because armagh beat a div4 team yous are worried!!armagh need a performance better than the gave against down to beat yous :)

Orangemac

Quote from: ONeill on July 17, 2011, 10:54:15 PM
Keep it clean lads.

Armagh could well walk away from Omagh with a win. They have momentum now with consecutive games.

If Armagh do win, they'll not be bothering the big guns. If Tyrone do, I think they can see football in late summer.
Would agree with this to an extent, Tyrone have more potential to go further yet we could pull off a result on the day.

If we can win midfield area and get enough supply into forward line then we have a chance. If Jamie Clarke is starved of possession we will struggle as against Derry.

Interesting to note Tyrone supporters playing down their chances. Bit of codology I would imagine. Don't really believe they will lose but don't egg on thier faces the way a few Down fans did.

ONeill

Tyrone were losing at half time to a division 4 team. No egg on face - Armagh are well capable of beating this Tyrone team.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

If we can't beat Armagh we're safer out of it.

EC Unique

No codology from me. Currently Tyrone have better players available and a better manager. I expect Tyrone to win with a few to spare.