Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Id just echo what most people have been saying.  Other than the centre positions and one lock, the team more or less picks itself.  Its these 3 positions that disappoints me.

For me Ryan has been playing out of his skin this season, looking very dynamic and completely outplaying DOC.  Can not believe Deccie has got with him.

Not surprised but still disappointed by the centre pairing.  Once upon a time Darcy was a dinky, tricky, fast centre feared around the world.  Those days are well gone.  At this stage he offers nothing in attack and very little in defence.  He is not the Jamie Roberts type 12 nor the Matt Giteau 2nd 5/8th creative centre.  Paddy Wallace may not be the answer either but at least he may provide some creative spark that Darcy definitely lacks.  I dont think Sexton and Wallace have started a competitve match together and it would be interesting to see how they would co exist.

13 is a tricky one.  If Darren Cave had of been fit I would have went for him ( deccie wouldnt ) as he is the form 13 in Ireland.  As he is out it has come down to a straight fight between Earls and McFadden.  I dont think Earls will ever make a centre for various reasons whilst McFadden has many of the attributes necessary.  The only reason I think he hasnt went for him is because he hasnt set the world alight in this position for either Leinster or Ireland.  Hopefully next year we will have Cave and O Mally fighting for this position.

whitegoodman

Quote from: andoireabu on February 01, 2012, 04:38:13 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 22, 2012, 08:56:12 PM
So you want one of 3 outside centres playing at inside centre??? Spence proved earlier in the season when playing 12 for Ulster that a very good player playing in the wrong position turns them into a very average player.  Inside centre and outside centre are completely different position with different skill sets.
What would be the difference? 

12 needs good hands, good kicking game, good rugby brain and to act as the 2nd creative spark in the team after the flyhalf.  BOD is the exception to this in that he is a 13 with these attributes but alot of the time he seems to play 12 anyway.  Nevin Spence played at 12 earlier in the season for Ulster and was completely lost in the position.

13 generally attack in the wider channel and need to be quicker, stronger and more dynamic imo.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 01, 2012, 09:24:29 PM
Quote from: andoireabu on February 01, 2012, 04:38:13 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 22, 2012, 08:56:12 PM
So you want one of 3 outside centres playing at inside centre??? Spence proved earlier in the season when playing 12 for Ulster that a very good player playing in the wrong position turns them into a very average player.  Inside centre and outside centre are completely different position with different skill sets.
What would be the difference? 

12 needs good hands, good kicking game, good rugby brain and to act as the 2nd creative spark in the team after the flyhalf.  BOD is the exception to this in that he is a 13 with these attributes but alot of the time he seems to play 12 anyway.  Nevin Spence played at 12 earlier in the season for Ulster and was completely lost in the position.

13 generally attack in the wider channel and need to be quicker, stronger and more dynamic imo.

What you describe there for 12 is a 2nd 5/8. Gordon D'Arcy has no kicking game, is not creative and his hands wouldn't be top class either yet he has been excellent for Leinster and Ireland until 2 years ago when his consistency started to disappear.
#newbridgeornowhere

whitegoodman

Darcy was really a 13 playing in the 12 jersey. O Driscoll was always the creative spark in the team and did all the kicking from hand in the midfield.  The 2 interchanged that much I wouldnt have called Darcy an out and out 12.

That is why I fear him and Earls on Sunday.  Over the last year any momentum we have had in open played died when it went into midfield.  There was no variation, no line breaks, no momentum.  With a creative spark beside him Earls may provide these running lines and bring others in the back line into play.  Unfortunately Darcy isnt that creative spark.

The thing that annoys me most that if BOD had of been fit there would have been no changes from that awful performance in September.  Its a good job Wales have plenty of injuries.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: whitegoodman on February 01, 2012, 10:18:24 PM
Darcy was really a 13 playing in the 12 jersey. O Driscoll was always the creative spark in the team and did all the kicking from hand in the midfield.  The 2 interchanged that much I wouldnt have called Darcy an out and out 12.

That is why I fear him and Earls on Sunday.  Over the last year any momentum we have had in open played died when it went into midfield.  There was no variation, no line breaks, no momentum.  With a creative spark beside him Earls may provide these running lines and bring others in the back line into play.  Unfortunately Darcy isnt that creative spark.

The thing that annoys me most that if BOD had of been fit there would have been no changes from that awful performance in September.  Its a good job Wales have plenty of injuries.

Are you not contradicting yourself, you said they were completely different positions with different skill sets yet D'Arcy and O'Driscoll are inter-changeable?

There is no right and wrong answer - it all depends on your game plan and what you expect from your 12 in particular i.e footballer or bish bosh get us over that gain-line. 13 though for me has to be quick and a good defender, if his channel gets exploited you will be up sh*t creek hence my worry over Earls...

Donnacha Ryan is not happy not to be playing...

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2012, 10:47:32 AM
Tough looking boyo :)

He is, I like him tough boyo indeed, remember a game a couple of years ago between Naas and Sunday's well and there was melee (supporters involved and all.) He was coaching Well and jumped into the middle of it, peace quickly ensued.
#newbridgeornowhere

whitegoodman

Darcy and Drico in their prime was an exceptional set of circumstances that u dont see too often at international level.  It was a matter of trying to fit in 2 world class players with no real alternative at 12.  Drico was/is also one of few who could play international rugby in both positions.

Darcy is neither a crash ball centre ala Roberts or 2nd 5/8 ala Giteau.  He is a poor 13 at this stage.

AZOffaly

James Downey just signed a 2 year deal back with Munster. He'd be solid enough defensively himself.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 02, 2012, 10:52:58 AM

He is, I like him tough boyo indeed, remember a game a couple of years ago between Naas and Sunday's well and there was melee (supporters involved and all.) He was coaching Well and jumped into the middle of it, peace quickly ensued.
how many derrytreask subs received suspensions for this?

dont start me on the selection of darcy. feck sake.

whitegoodman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2012, 11:02:48 AM
James Downey just signed a 2 year deal back with Munster. He'd be solid enough defensively himself.

Limited enough player imo who is 18mths past his best.  Id worry for Earls if he is playing outside him.  His distribution is non existent and will never make an international player.  The only advantage he has over Mafi is that he is IQ which would free up a NIQ elsewhere.

ha ha derry

What about O Gara at 10 and Sexton at 12 ?

ludermor

Quote from: ha ha derry on February 02, 2012, 02:39:44 PM
What about O Gara at 10 and Sexton at 12 ?
O'Gara was nothing special when he was 10 but i understand Sexton was a superb prospect at 12 years old.

Celt_Man

Must have missed that when it was no doubt plastered all over the Back and Front pages of the various newspapers...  Joe Duffy would have also devoted a fair bit of his programme to that same given the National outrage which would have ensued...

Surprised I missed all this... ::)
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

muppet

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 02, 2012, 09:49:27 PM

Must have missed that when it was no doubt plastered all over the Back and Front pages of the various newspapers...  Joe Duffy would have also devoted a fair bit of his programme to that same given the National outrage which would have ensued...

Surprised I missed all this... ::)

This is a great country. No matter what you do wrong, it isn't wrong if you can point to someone who did something remotely similar, ever. It does't even matter if they were wrong either. Just point and sneer.
MWWSI 2017