Six Nations 2012

Started by Karl Kennedy, July 09, 2011, 09:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

One that got away in my opinion. Thought O'Gara should have been on earlier when the French were totally dominating territory after 15 minutes.

Defensively we were excellent but attack wise our 1st try was more opportunism than any great attacking play, the 2nd was borne out of some good play but again a bit lucky with the bounce of the ball. Having said that there were some heroic performances and Kearney was majestic at times both in defence and attack. As was said his kick and poor defence for the try were the only blots on what would otherwise have been a 10/10 performance.

I think the time has come to put D'Arcy out to pasture. He hasn't got it any more and is not the form Centre in Ireland at this stage. He shat himself for the try where he should have hurled himself at the ball. Had he been playing Gaelic he would be labelled 'yella' for the rest of his days for that. Also the spill when we were in a good attacking position was nigh on unforgiveable.

Penalty wise we were nailed quite a bit and were very lucky not to get anyone in the bin. I expect a tough examination against the Scots as their defence is excellent and I don't think we have the cutting edge to get through easily. It will be another battle and I'm quite looking forward to it but I think it will be won with the boot and Sexton would need to find his soon!!!

Main Street

It wasn't a bad game.
I thought France had most to rue,  near the end they had the ball, made the solid ground and should have converted one of those drop goal attempts.  Maybe they are just human after all,  same as Ireland - they were just totally wiped out after a tough game.

Is there still some hope for Sexton to fill Rog's boots properly?
I thought with all the pressure France were putting on in the 2nd half, it might have called for a different tactical approach from Ireland, namely from an out half with the accuracy to kick for touch and the skill to be set up for the drop goal attempt when Ireland did make it into their 25?

Bord na Mona man

Its easy to say in retrospect that Ireland should have gone for the drop goal, as it then happened that neither side scored in the last 20 minutes. However at 17-17 and plenty of of game time left, you would still aim for tries.

Otherwise if you take a 3 point lead, you immediately oblige the French to go all out for a try. A try that would most likely win them the match. It just happened that Ireland blew a couple of great positions through poor handling and overthrown line outs.

Ireland were very lucky in the first half not to pick up a yellow card, so overall it was a decent result.

Dinny Breen

POC and Murray out for the rest of the 6 nations...

Best for Captain?
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 05, 2012, 04:44:04 PM
POC and Murray out for the rest of the 6 nations...

Best for Captain?

What's wrong with Paulie? Did Murray do his ligaments?

Dinny Breen

POC has done medial knee ligament damage (doubt for the HEC q/f now as well)
Murry has bone bruising.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Murray's a lucky boy to only be out for that length I was convinced it was an ACL. Thank God for that.

I would imagine Ryan will slot straight in beside DOC and Reddan into SH. O'Connell's work rate will be missed big time but I still think we should be able to beat Scotland without those 2.

trileacman

Quote from: screenexile on March 05, 2012, 05:08:11 PM
Murray's a lucky boy to only be out for that length I was convinced it was an ACL. Thank God for that.

I would imagine Ryan will slot straight in beside DOC and Reddan into SH. O'Connell's work rate will be missed big time but I still think we should be able to beat Scotland without those 2.

You could hear Murray's cries on the television, I was sure it was a cruciate, possibly a career ender. Didn't see POC get an injury, suprised to hear he is out. Ryan and Reddan in I would imagine.

Surprised to hear that Best is being touted for the captaincy, he butchered vital throws on Sunday and a hooker who can't hit his jumper is like a out-half who can't kick, a scrum half who can't pass or a back-rower who can't tackle. In my eyes he is on dodgy ground.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Celt_Man

O'Leary and Connacht's Mike McCarthy called into the squad...
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

screenexile

Tommy Bowe's gone back to Ulster!! Big signing for them!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/17274581

rosnarun

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 05, 2012, 04:52:29 PM
POC has done medial knee ligament damage (doubt for the HEC q/f now as well)
Murry has bone bruising.

Resting for the h- cup more like no point in flogging a dead horse
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Dinny Breen

O'Brien gone now as well, O'Mahony to start.

Jennings on the bench  ::)
#newbridgeornowhere

Capt Pat

That just takes the biscuit, I had just completed all my fantasy transfers when O Brien drops out with a foot infection.

AZOffaly

A foot infection? The big soft shite :)

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 09, 2012, 02:41:28 PM
That just takes the biscuit, I had just completed all my fantasy transfers when O Brien drops out with a foot infection.

wouldnt matter, you wont win it anyway  ;)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012