Re: Priests are above the law!

Started by AQMP, July 07, 2011, 02:57:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

FL/MAYO

Quote from: q ;)uit yo jibbajabba on July 07, 2011, 03:05:10 PM
used to be our pp a fair few years back; a "character" to say the least, and ive little doubt i know about 1% of the stories!

Is he from Donegal originally? If so I know him also, I was on a pub about twenty years ago (after hours) when the guards raided the pub, I was sitting beside the priest, we were the only ones not to get our names taken.

Myles Na G.

Father McGuinness, henceforth known as Skullin' McGuinness, or some such. :)

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 07, 2011, 07:36:20 PM
Quote from: q ;)uit yo jibbajabba on July 07, 2011, 03:05:10 PM
used to be our pp a fair few years back; a "character" to say the least, and ive little doubt i know about 1% of the stories!

Is he from Donegal originally? If so I know him also, I was on a pub about twenty years ago (after hours) when the guards raided the pub, I was sitting beside the priest, we were the only ones not to get our names taken.

Yes
Tbc....

Main Street

How did the car move by itself and crash at the roundabout?
Did the priest deny driving it or attempting to drive?

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Main Street on July 08, 2011, 11:38:02 AM

MS you are assuming that he was alone in the car.
Tbc....

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hardy on July 07, 2011, 05:08:34 PM
OK - didn't grasp there were different levels of charge.

It appears that there is two different levels of charge:

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_laws.php

and while the "being charge" is a lesser offence it is supposed to have a mandatory traffic ban.

I would guess that unless the prosecution had a witness to the crash and roundabout incident they would only go for how he was found (ie in charge of the vehicle).  There is a heavy burden of proof in these cases so there only has to be a possibility (not likelihood) that the accident happened without his involvement for the charges to fall through.

A lucky lad all the same.

/Jim.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 08, 2011, 11:58:57 AM

and while the "being charge" is a lesser offence it is supposed to have a mandatory traffic ban.

I would guess that unless the prosecution had a witness to the crash and roundabout incident they would only go for how he was found (ie in charge of the vehicle).  There is a heavy burden of proof in these cases so there only has to be a possibility (not likelihood) that the accident happened without his involvement for the charges to fall through.

/Jim.

You see it actually doesn't have a mandatory disqualification.  I was wrong in my initial posting as I had read it as he was caught drink driving which does have a mandatory one.  I would say though that with the level of alcohol in his blood that a ban should have been imposed and it sends out the completely wrong message to people.  He crashed his car into a roundabout and was a serious risk to others at that level of drunkeness.   Coupled with the fact he was only fined £300 I think it stinks.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 08, 2011, 12:15:50 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 08, 2011, 11:58:57 AM

/Jim.

You see it actually doesn't have a mandatory disqualification.  I was wrong in my initial posting as I had read it as he was caught drink driving which does have a mandatory one.  I would say though that with the level of alcohol in his blood that a ban should have been imposed and it sends out the completely wrong message to people.  He crashed his car into a roundabout and was a serious risk to others at that level of drunkeness.   Coupled with the fact he was only fined £300 I think it stinks.

Looking at that link :

http://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_laws_inchargewhileunfit.php

I read it as :

QuoteObligatory driving ban of between 12-36 months, subject to possible 25% reduction for attending drink driving rehabilitation course.

even for being in charge.

/Jim.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Drunk in charge simply does not have a mandatory driving ban. The imposition of 10 penalty points is a relatively common disposal for a first time offender of good character.

BCB you say that he "crashed his car into a roundabout" but this clearly hasn't been proven. If it had been, he would have been banned from driving, possibly for more than a year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Ulick

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 08, 2011, 12:22:03 PM
Looking at that link :

I read it as :

QuoteObligatory driving ban of between 12-36 months, subject to possible 25% reduction for attending drink driving rehabilitation course.

/Jim.

Jim, from the link, I'm reading the ban for drunk in charge as 'discretionary':

In charge while unfit, 3 months, £5,000, Discretionary, 10, DR50 (drink), DR90 (drugs)

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Ulick on July 08, 2011, 03:09:32 PM
Looking at that link :

I read it as :

/Jim.

In charge while unfit, 3 months, £5,000, Discretionary, 10, DR50 (drink), DR90 (drugs)

On the main page it reads as such but when you click the link it uses the term Obligatory which confused me.

I still maintain he's a lucky chap given the circumstancial evidence.  I don't know how things are in up there but down south a collar would still be regarded as an asset in such a situation......

/Jim

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 08, 2011, 03:43:11 PM
Quote from: Ulick on July 08, 2011, 03:09:32 PM
Looking at that link :

I read it as :

/Jim.

On the main page it reads as such but when you click the link it uses the term Obligatory which confused me.

I still maintain he's a lucky chap given the circumstancial evidence.  I don't know how things are in up there but down south a collar would still be regarded as an asset in such a situation......

/Jim

Don't think a "collar" would work in his favour up here Jim  ;)
Tbc....

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on July 08, 2011, 11:38:02 AMHow did the car move by itself and crash at the roundabout?
Have I got this right?

A car, belonging to the Priest, was found crashed at a roundabout. The Priest was in attendance at the scene, and when breathylised, he was found to be four times over the limit.

I imagine the Peelers' first question was: "What's happened here, Father?" We must assume that had someone else been driving, but left the scene, the Priest would have been honour-bound, eager even, to say so, and it would have been recorded in Court. But since that was not reported, it seems unlikely.

Therefore the cops' next question will likely have been: "Were you driving the car, Father?". And since he was not charged with Drunk Driving, he must either have replied: "No", or declined to answer the question.

Either way, he was hardly discharging his civic duty in a manner befitting a 'man of the cloth'.

sc**bag.  >:(
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"