News of the World Hacking Scandal

Started by Tony Baloney, July 05, 2011, 08:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Saw this on Fry and Laurie.  If Rupert hadn't been born. Should have been listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aZcsY-O8Q
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

seafoid

Quote from: Sandino on November 23, 2011, 11:26:36 AM
One thing that has stood out for me is that someone hacked into Milly Dowlers phone and removed voicemail thus leading her parents to believe that she was still alive. I can think off few things more evil than giving her parents false hope that she was alive. All for a cheap story! However as long as f**kwits buy these rags they will continue to dod this and much worse. I wonder how many stories that are in the public interest have been suppressed so that more lurid ones may be published.

paps spitting into Sienna Miller's face to get a photo was another stand out

AQMP

Well, you have to admire Paul McMullan's candour!

muppet

Quote from: Denn Forever on November 29, 2011, 10:44:36 AM
Saw this on Fry and Laurie.  If Rupert hadn't been born. Should have been listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1aZcsY-O8Q

Very good, particularly the end.
MWWSI 2017

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

Gotcha !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/11/sun-journalists-arrested
Senior Sun journalists arrested in police payments probe

Rupert Murdoch is flying to London after five of tabloid's most senior staff are arrested in ongoing inquiry into alleged bribery

o
          o Share 792
          o reddit this

David Batty
    * guardian.co.uk, Saturday 11 February 2012 22.56 GMT
    * Article history

the sun newspaper
Five Sun newspaper journalists have been arrested as part of Operation Elveden, the police inquiry into alleged inappropriate payments to public servants. Photograph: Martin Argles for the Guardian

The Sun has been plunged into its worst ever crisis following the arrest of five of its most senior journalists over corruption allegations, moving Rupert Murdoch to pledge his support for the paper amid rumours that it faces closure.

Murdoch's "total commitment" to continue to own and publish the Sun was sent to News International staff by chief executive Tom Mockridge after the journalists, who include the deputy editor, were arrested in connection with an investigation into inappropriate payments to police and public officials.

Mockridge confirmed that the five Sun journalists involved are deputy editor Geoff Webster, picture editor John Edwards, chief reporter John Kay, chief foreign correspondent Nick Parker and deputy news editor John Sturgis.

The Sun's editor, Dominic Mohan, said: "I'm as shocked as anyone by today's arrests but am determined to lead the Sun through these difficult times. I have a brilliant staff and we have a duty to serve our readers and will continue to do that. Our focus is on putting out Monday's newspaper."

A News International source said Mohan was "not resigning" but added that it was "obviously a dramatic day for him".

Sky News reported that Murdoch is flying into the UK to reassure Sun staff that he will not close the paper in the wake of the latest arrests. Murdoch is expected to visit News International staff in London towards the end of next week.

In an email to News International staff, Mockridge said he "had a personal assurance today from Rupert Murdoch about his total commitment to continue to own and publish The Sun newspaper."

He also called on staff to support Mohan at a time when the company was "facing our greatest challenge".

Amid accusations from the National Union of Journalists that Sun staff were being sacrificed to save Murdoch's reputation, Mockridge added that he had written to the Independent Police Complaints Commission to seek clarification on its oversight of the Elveden investigation into the Sun.

The worsening crisis at the tabloid could have wider ramifications for the Murdoch media empire, according to some media experts.

Clive Hollick, former chief executive of United Business Media, said the latest arrests could intensify the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation into News Corp in the US.

In a post on his Twitter account he added that the arrests "may lead to fines, director oustings and asset sales".

He also suggested that the developments could lead to the broadcasting watchdog Ofcom reviewing Murdoch's control of Sky television in the UK.

Hollick tweeted: "Will Ofcom conclude that Sun arrests on top of hacking render NI not fit and proper to hold #Sky license and make them sell shareholding?"

Rupert Murdoch's biographer Michael Wolff said on Twitter: "I've never known a point in News Corp history with so much internal acrimony."

A Surrey police officer, 39, a Ministry of Defence employee, 39, and a member of the armed forces, 36, were also arrested at their homes on Saturday on suspicion of corruption, misconduct in a public office and conspiracy in relation to both.

All five of the journalists, the Ministry of Defence employee and the member of the armed forces were released on bail on Saturday night until May, while the police officer was bailed until March.

The new arrests at Britain's bestselling newspaper will further rock News International, which is still reeling from the closure of the Sun's sister title, the News of the World last July, after it emerged that journalists had hacked the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.

The journalists, aged between 45 and 68, were arrested at addresses in London, Kent and Essex on suspicion of corruption, aiding and abetting misconduct in a public office, and conspiracy in relation to both these offences. They are being questioned at police stations in London and Kent.

News Corporation, the parent company of News International which owns the Sun and the Times, confirmed that five Sun staff were among those arrested today.

It said its Management and Standards Committee (MSC) had provided information to the Elveden investigation which led to the arrests and had also provided the option of "immediate legal representation" to those arrested.

"News Corporation remains committed to ensuring that unacceptable news-gathering practices by individuals in the past will not be repeated and last summer authorised the MSC to co-operate with the relevant authorities," it said.

"The MSC will continue to ensure that all appropriate steps are taken to protect legitimate journalistic privilege and sources, private or personal information and legal privilege.

"News Corporation maintains its total support to the ongoing work of the MSC and is committed to making certain that legitimate journalism is vigorously pursued in both the public interest and in full compliance with the law."

The NUJ has accused Murdoch of throwing his journalists to the wolves in a bid to save his company, adding that the reputation of those arrested will "inevitably" be damaged.

General secretary Michelle Stanistreet said News International staff were reeling and furious at "what many sense to be a witch-hunt" and "a monumental betrayal on the part of News International".

"Once again Rupert Murdoch is trying to pin the blame on individual journalists hoping that a few scalps will salvage his corporate reputation," she said.

The arrests come two weeks after four former and current Sun journalists as well as a serving Metropolitan police officer were arrested over alleged illegal police payments.

Senior Sun employees Chris Pharo, 42, and Mike Sullivan, along with former executives Fergus Shanahan, 57, and Graham Dudman, were named by sources as suspects facing corruption allegations. All five were released on bail.

Surrey police confirmed a serving officer was arrested at the officer's home address on Saturday as part of Operation Elveden.

Deborah Glass, deputy chair of the IPCC, said: "Today's arrests are further evidence of the strenuous efforts being undertaken to identify police officers who may have taken corrupt payments."

The MoD refused to comment.

Officers from Operation Elveden made the arrests between 6am and 8am as part of the investigation into allegations of inappropriate payments to police and public officials.

Operation Elveden, which runs alongside the Met's Operation Weeting team, was launched as the phone-hacking scandal deepened last July.

Its remit has widened to include the investigation of evidence uncovered in relation to suspected corruption involving public officials who are not police officers.

The homes of all eight detained men are being searched and officers are also carrying out searches at the offices of News International in Wapping, east London, the Metropolitan police said.

Gaffer

I see the News Of The World is coming back  I see there's a brand new Sunday paper coming out!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

5 Sams

Ally McCoist is the latest one to come to light...they hacked his phoned and gave him a £10 top up!!
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Hey, where is that thread with all the hot girls? I wanted to add this lady.

I've a few more but I just need to download them from her phone.

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AQMP

The story gets more and more bizarre...I mean, The Sun has a defence editor!?!?!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/mar/01/met-arrests-32-year-old-woman

A 32-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of making corrupt payments to public officials, by detectives from the Metropolitan police's Operation Elveden.

It is understood that the person arrested is Virginia Wheeler, the defence editor of the Sun. Wheeler has been abroad on extended leave, but police had wanted to question her. It is understood she has returned to the country.  The woman was arrested by appointment on Thursday morning and is the 23rd person to be arrested by officers working on Operation Elveden. She is in custody at a south London police station.  She is the 11th Sun journalist to be arrested since last November. According to her profile on the Sun's website, Wheeler is the Sun's first female defence editor.

Thursday's arrest was made under the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 and aiding and abetting misconduct in a public office (contrary to common law) and conspiracy in relation to both offences.  In a statement, the Met Police said that: "The operation is the result of information provided to police by News Corporation's management standards committee."  Scotland Yard also added that their work is focusing on investigating suspected payments to police officers and public officials and is not about seeking journalists to reveal confidential sources in relation to information that has been obtained legitimately.

johnneycool

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17349578

Rebekah Brooks the latest to be arrested, detained for a few hours, let out on bail, charges dropped and then alls well again, the Met have done their bit to look like they are investigating one of Cameron's best friends and Neighbour.

seafoid

Private Eye reported this week that 2 Sun journalists attempted suicide.

AQMP

Rebekah Brooks and her husband Charlie among seven to be charged with conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/may/15/rebekah-brooks-charged-perverting-course-justice