Is there a culture of entitlement in Ireland?

Started by Eamonnca1, July 05, 2011, 06:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

I stepped out of my old apartment in San Francisco one morning and found a hand-made sign stuck to a lamppost saying "Volunteer neighborhood cleanup, Saturday morning 9:00am.  Meet at Jackson and Leavenworth, bring bags, brooms and any other cleaning material."

Would such a thing ever happen in Ireland?

Hardy

armaghniac

It happens in my estate too. Mind you, I never go.

And of course things like the tidy towns are based on huge volunteer effort.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

I've heard about this tidy towns thing. Do they do it in the north?

Puckoon

Are you suggesting that there is not a culture of entitlement in the good ole USA, Eamonn?

Eamonnca1

Oh there is too to a certain extent. I was just thinking about the dizzying array of government agencies in the north and the fact that so much of the economy is driven by the public sector. I was thinking about David Cameron's speech in the assembly there lately, which I thought was impressive and hit a lot of nails on their heads.

Against my better judgement, I'm getting to respect this Cameron fella.

firestarter

Are you seriously questioning the spirit of volunteerism in Ireland on a GAA discussion forum???

and what about the uVf, lVf etc...!!!  ;)

brokencrossbar1

'Heck do you guys really go to Mass twice daily on your tractors?' Circa Jan 1998 fat Yank in Disney ride queue....so far removed from reality yet ruling the world.  Too scary.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 05, 2011, 07:37:34 PM
'Heck do you guys really go to Mass twice daily on your tractors?' Circa Jan 1998 fat Yank in Disney ride queue....so far removed from reality yet ruling the world.  Too scary.
I hope you explained it was only twice during Lent.

Puckoon

Seriously BCB1. Cop on - this stereotype no more rules the world than you or I.

BTW - Calling them a Yank is akin to them calling you a paddy.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Puckoon on July 05, 2011, 08:06:47 PM

Seriously BCB1. Cop on - this stereotype no more rules the world than you or I.

BTW - Calling them a Yank is akin to them calling you a paddy.

I have no issue being called a paddy, thick paddy yes but not a paddy. And these people vote in the Government of who rule the most powerful nation in the world so by proxy they rule the world. The point I was making was about being detached from things outside the good ole US of A and good old Eamon falls into this category with his patronising attitude above. 

Eamonnca1

"Patronising attitude"? It was a question. Are you so sensitive that people can't even ask questions?

If you disagree that the north is too dependent on the public sector and people have gotten accustomed to the state doing everything for them then make a case for it. Don't just start calling people names (whether yanks or paddies), crying about your hurt feelings, and changing the subject to the location of other users.

Declan

There is a huge swath of people in Ireland with a sense of entitlement - they are the politicians, bankers and general cnuts in the higher echelons of the civil service  who have sold the country into servitude.

We have two clean up weekends a year in our place and a thriving tidy towns committee as well as numerous voluntary,charity sporting groups in which none of the above professions participate

AZOffaly

Our estate does this at least twice a year. We make a day of it, get the kids involved etc. I'd say it happens everywhere. I'm surprised you had to ask Eamonn, and maybe you're only asking because, even though it's gotten a lot worse over the Celtic Tiger years, the sense of Community Spirit in rural Ireland is still very strong, whereas it's almost non-existant in urban America.

Puckoon

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2011, 10:37:05 PM
Our estate does this at least twice a year. We make a day of it, get the kids involved etc. I'd say it happens everywhere. I'm surprised you had to ask Eamonn, and maybe you're only asking because, even though it's gotten a lot worse over the Celtic Tiger years, the sense of Community Spirit in rural Ireland is still very strong, whereas it's almost non-existant in urban America.

It has gotten to the stage now AZ where when you see community spirit in the day to day - it surprises you. That said - they are a great nation for answering a Rally cry to effort - unfortunatly the day to day spirit of neighbourhood and community is completely dilute.