Corcaigh- Gaillimh Qualifier, 4pm 9 July Luimneach

Started by seafoid, July 03, 2011, 10:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

So how good are Cork boy ?
If Galway play as a team anything could happen.

Hoof Hearted

Would i be right in saying that this isn't on TV ? a shame after some of the dung matches that have been on. this was an AIF only 6 years ago
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

AZOffaly

Not only that but it was a cracking qualifier game in 2008 as well. Cork's epic comeback.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 05, 2011, 09:48:13 PM
Not only that but it was a cracking qualifier game in 2008 as well. Cork's epic comeback.

thats right, in thurles wasnt it ?
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

imtommygunn

Probably Joe Canning's best game for Galway.

Did he not score about 2-11 or something crazy like that and in the game previous Eoin Kelly(Waterford) scored something like 2-13 against Offaly.

I completely forgot about Galway playing Cork in an AI final.

AZOffaly

Yeah. 2 great games that day. Eoin Kelly's 2-13 gave Waterford a win over ourselves, and Joe Canning got something similar against Cork. Donal Og got sent off, but in the gloaming the rebels came back and won. Brilliant day.

imtommygunn

Ah yes I remember. He was using his own hurling balls or something like that though I think there was also time wasting involved.

Googled it - 2-12 from Canning. Very comprehensive wiki on Joe Canning. Not so much so on Eoin Kelly v Offaly.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2011, 10:36:01 PM
Ah yes I remember. He was using his own hurling balls or something like that though I think there was also time wasting involved.

Googled it - 2-12 from Canning. Very comprehensive wiki on Joe Canning. Not so much so on Eoin Kelly v Offaly.

If I remember rightly he got booked for something technical, maybe timewasting or dissent. But he got the second yellow/red for fouling somebody I think. All happened in the first half I think. John Gardiner went back on JC in the second half and quietened him a bit. He'd destroyed the Rock in the first half. Sean Og was sensational in the second half.

AZOffaly

Found this on RTE.ie archives.

Galway 2-15 Cork 0-23
Saturday, 19 July 2008
Cork showed great tenacity as they overcame the first half dismissal of goalkeeper Dónal Óg Cusack to qualify for an All-Ireland quarter-final.

Despite the scoring exploits of Joe Canning (2-12), Galway were outgunned in tonight's fourth phase qualifier, played in front of a 30,082-strong Thurles crowd.

The Tribesmen led 2-05 to 0-09 at half-time with Canning scoring a late penalty after Cusack was sent-off for his second booking.

But Cork, inspired by 12-point hero Ben O'Connor, came good to set up a mouth-watering all-Munster clash with Clare.

Facing each other in the Championship for the first time since the 2005 All-Ireland final, this was a game that both Cork and Galway's seasons rested upon and quite possibly the futures of their respective managers.

Galway boss Ger Loughnane altered his starting line-up before the throw-in, as was expected.

Full-back Fergal Moore was unable to start due to a hamstring injury, but experienced forward Alan Kerins did come into the side after recovering from a toe injury.

Damien Joyce was moved to full-back but he had his problems there and was eventually replaced.

Cork full-back Diarmuid O'Sullivan also struggled on youngster Joe Canning, who got the better of him for his first goal.

Loughnane's side got off to a poor start, going 0-04 to 0-00 behind with Cathal Naughton, team captain John Gardiner and Ben O'Connor (0-02) all on target.

Ten minutes in however, Canning, only playing in his third senior Championship match, got Galway into contention as he shrugged off the challenge of O'Sullivan and sneaked a stunning shot past Cusack for his first goal.

O'Sullivan was soon off to have a blood injury repaired but Cork held firm and did not let their early good work go to waste.

The in-form Joe Deane tagged on a point and Naughton did likewise to push the Rebels 0-06 to 1-00 ahead, before Damien Hayes registered Galway's opening point 20 minutes into the encounter.

It was nip and tuck as the game drifted towards half-time with both Ben O'Connor and Canning notching some impressive frees. Canning looked to have a goal chance as he stood over a 20-metre free but the 19-year-old wisely opted for a point.

A typical long range point from Gardiner had Cork 0-08 to 1-04 ahead but the game's first real turning point arrived in first half injury-time.

A swift Galway attack ended with Kerins batting the sliotar to the Cork net but referee Barry Kelly had already blown his whistle before the goal was scored.

Kelly penalised Cork 'keeper Cusack for a foul on Kerins as the Galway forward tried to bulge the net. The foul earned Cusack his second yellow card, Cork were suddenly down to 14 men and they had a penalty to defend.

Cork manager Gerald McCarthy reacted by bringing substitute net minder Martin Coleman on for outfield player Naughton, but the new man in, flanked by two defenders, stood little chance as Canning rocketed the penalty to the back of the net.

O'Connor and Canning, the ace free-takers, swapped further points as Loughnane's charges took a 2-05 to 0-09 lead into the second half. Canning had 2-04 to show for the first 35 minutes.

Cork switched things around for the start of the second 35 as O'Sullivan was called ashore and Naughton was re-introduced.

With Ollie Canning their extra man, Galway ominously moved into a three-point lead with teenager Canning again to the fore.

But Galway struggled to pull away and Cork managed to heap the pressure on them with a run of six successive points.

Deane, who was a constant threat in open play, O'Connor and Naughton all helped themselves to scores as McCarthy's men found an extra gear.

Having beaten Antrim and Laois in their previous qualifiers this summer, this was Galway's first real test of the 2008 Championship and when push came to shove, they failed it.

Cork almost nabbed a goal but substitute Pat Horgan, who was put through after a sizzling run by Jerry O'Connor, had his shot saved by Galway stopper James Skehill.

Ben O'Connor then took his tally to 0-10 as he pointed to move Cork 0-18 to 2-09 ahead. With Galway amassing 13 wides by that stage, the Tribesmen looked rudderless and devoid of ideas.

Cork, who defended stoutly during the end-game, continued to look the livelier side with O'Connor soon putting them five points in the clear.

Predictably, Galway threw everything they had at their opponents in the closing ten minutes. Niall Healy found his range and Richie Murray, going for goal, had his shot deflected over.

Canning tried his heart out, firing over three late points but O'Connor had the last word when he split the posts with a superb effort from near the sideline.

Job done and Cork, after a disappointing Munster campaign, look back in business.

Cork: D Cusack; S O'Neaill, D O'Sullivan, B Murphy; J Gardiner (capt) (0-02), R Curran, S Ó hAilpín; T Kenny, J O'Connor; P Cronin, N McCarthy (0-01), T McCarthy; B O'Connor (0-12), J Deane (0-04), C Naughton (0-03).
Subs: P Horgan (0-01) for T McCarthy, M Coleman for Naughton, C Naughton for D O'Sullivan.

Galway: J Skehill; D Joyce, D Forde, O Canning; S Kavanagh, J Lee, A Cullinane; F Healy, R Murray (0-01); I Tannian, K Hayes, A Kerins; D Hayes (0-01), J Canning (2-12), N Healy (0-01).
Subs: C Dervan for Joyce, A Smith for K Hayes, A Callinan for Kerins, G Farragher for D Hayes, C Donnellan for F Healy.

Referee: Barry Kelly (Westmeath

imtommygunn

Ah yes O'Sullivan was getting roasted and it looked like the end for him but if I remember rightly he came back from that well. Gardiner did ok but it was damage limitation that day.

Not the greatest move in the world allowing Ollie Canning to be a free man but I guess it worked ok in the end.

Yeah I think one technical one foul sounded about right for Cusack that day.

James Skehill was meant to be a great prospect for Galway - wonder what happened him.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2011, 10:55:41 PM
Ah yes O'Sullivan was getting roasted and it looked like the end for him but if I remember rightly he came back from that well. Gardiner did ok but it was damage limitation that day.

Not the greatest move in the world allowing Ollie Canning to be a free man but I guess it worked ok in the end.

Yeah I think one technical one foul sounded about right for Cusack that day.

James Skehill was meant to be a great prospect for Galway - wonder what happened him.

??? He was in goals for them on Saturday against Clare ???

imtommygunn

Oh, I didn't see Clare game but didn't think he was about any more...My mistake.

Anyway, hoping for a good game. Pity it's not on tv. Good to see Kerins back in after the club stuff he was playing.

Personally always liked Galway so would prefer they won however I think Cork will take it by 3 or 4.

AZOffaly

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 05, 2011, 11:01:42 PM
Oh, I didn't see Clare game but didn't think he was about any more...My mistake.

Anyway, hoping for a good game. Pity it's not on tv. Good to see Kerins back in after the club stuff he was playing.

Personally always liked Galway so would prefer they won however I think Cork will take it by 3 or 4.

Yeah, he's their number one alright. Played against Dublin too. I think you might be right though, I seem to remember him getting displaced maybe last year or the year before.

I'll be at it, hope it's as good as 2008, with a Galway win this time :)

GalwayBayBoy

Skehill left the panel either early this year or later last year but has come back since. By all accounts he has had some maturing to do. Fantastic shot stopper though and a big man but was prone to losing the head sometimes and making a mistake like charging out of his goal or something equally hot-headed. Seems to have settled down a bit now. Touch wood.

seafoid

Skehill was a very good minor goalie i remember.

I was looking at the team that beat the cats in the 2005 u-21 . that was the year Galway also won the minor and Vincent Mullins the u21 bainisteoir said

It's '96 since we won it and this is worth an awful lot to Galway hurling now that we've won the minor and under-21 - a lot more guys will come through."

GALWAY: A Ryan; P Flynn, A Gaynor, K Briscoe; G Mahon, B Cullinane, D Collins (0-1, free); B Lucas (0-1), A Garvey; J Gantley, A Callanan (1-1), E Ryan; N Healy (0-1), K Burke (capt, 0-2), K Wade (0-8, five frees, one 65). Replacements: F Coone for Ryan (26 mins), C Dervan (0-1) for Gantley (43 mins), D Kelly for Cullinane (49 mins).

What happened to Kerril Wade and Fintan Coone ?