Wexford v The Dubs. Leinster Final

Started by boro, July 01, 2011, 12:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boro

Fook.

Dublin were so poor and still we let them win. Sickened.

Rats is a great keeeper, but that was some feic up.

Roll on the qualifiers

Declan

Very poor game alright and the Yella bellies can feel unlucky. Dublin played as if trying just to get through the game and as Cullen said afterwards the season starts here. BB had a mare even after a majestic start and I woiuld have taken him off first but I did think Connolly took a knock before he was subbed. Half forward line was excellent for us but really hard to get excited about the game.
This old back door certainly changes things. Anyway Kerry and Cork still ahead of anyone else at this stage though it'll be interesting to see how the Lillies fare next Sat as I'd have them as third faves now.

On the plus side the minors beat the Royals handily enough maybe we'l lhave one team playing in September!!!

heffo

Funny old game - with the exception of a five minute spell at the start of the second half, Wexford tried to slow the game right down and as Dublin seemed to be in third gear whether by design or not having a fourth, it didn't make for a good spectacle.

Feel sorry for Masterson but he'd want to start concentrating on the basic's of goalkeeping - he was constantly out on the 21 either looking for the ball or roaring at the ref.

It didn't feel like a Leinster Final yesterday - very low key.

Denn Forever

Quote from: boro on July 10, 2011, 11:15:52 PM
Fook.

Dublin were so poor and still we let them win. Sickened.

Rats is a great keeeper, but that was some feic up.

Roll on the qualifiers

Can't understand why he punched it.  It looked perfect for a chest catch.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Jinxy

The Dubs are set up nicely for the quarter final.
They're only tipping along at the moment.
I'm impressed with Gilroy I have to say.
Very astute manager.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Zulu

Not to bang on about it too much but I hope Connolly was taken off due to a knock, though I don't think he was, as I've just gone through the first half there and he did pretty well. His stats are below;

Possessions - 10, gave none away.
Score assists - 1
Turnover involvement - 5
Wides- 2, both poor to be honest.

I didn't tally the amount of good positions he picked up but he did so on a number of occasions. On the negative side he could have worked a bit harder a few times but he covered a lot of ground and his style means he'll never look like an all action player.

He's better than the alternatives and he is doing alright so if I was on the Dublin management team I'd be careful how I deal with him, subbing him after 30min when doing fine is counterproductive IMO.

By the way I wouldn't write Dublin off at all, Kerry weren't near as impressive as some are making out.

AZOffaly

Zulu, let the Kerry thing go :) Cork will beat them eventually :)

I know what you're saying though. Kerry were brilliant in the first half, but they faded badly. If Kerry win enough ball, their forwards are class. However I still think they'll struggle to win enough ball against the likes of Cork in September. Galvin and O'Se back will be a big boost in that department though.

As for Connolly, I'm bemused. It seems to me that Gilroy is neither fish nor fowl in his attacking philosophy. There's no point playing a playmaker like Alan Brogan and then leaving O'Gara inside there. O'Gara is a ball winner, but Brogan is a passer, which means you need good scorers inside there to take advantage. Connolly has a lovely kicking style, but his confidence must be shattered. Why he was taken off, I can't tell, but I do know they'll need him if they are going to win an All Ireland.

If I was Gilroy, and playing Brogan at #11, I'd play McManamon at #14, with Connolly and B Brogan. Only play O'Gara if you want to resort to a plan B that involves high balls into the full forward for him to break. Then you might even move Alan Brogan in around him.

heffo

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 11, 2011, 12:01:26 PM
Zulu, let the Kerry thing go :) Cork will beat them eventually :)

I know what you're saying though. Kerry were brilliant in the first half, but they faded badly. If Kerry win enough ball, their forwards are class. However I still think they'll struggle to win enough ball against the likes of Cork in September. Galvin and O'Se back will be a big boost in that department though.

As for Connolly, I'm bemused. It seems to me that Gilroy is neither fish nor fowl in his attacking philosophy. There's no point playing a playmaker like Alan Brogan and then leaving O'Gara inside there. O'Gara is a ball winner, but Brogan is a passer, which means you need good scorers inside there to take advantage. Connolly has a lovely kicking style, but his confidence must be shattered. Why he was taken off, I can't tell, but I do know they'll need him if they are going to win an All Ireland.

If I was Gilroy, and playing Brogan at #11, I'd play McManamon at #14, with Connolly and B Brogan. Only play O'Gara if you want to resort to a plan B that involves high balls into the full forward for him to break. Then you might even move Alan Brogan in around him.

I agree with you about the attacking shape - it doesn't seem to have any structure - most of the time O'Gara is winning short ball 40 yards out and he doesn't have the skill to open a defence with a pass so he ends up kicking a short pass which in turn is kicked into B Brogan in the FF line who has two men on him.

With O'Gara like you said it should be route one into the box as a plan B.

Connolly is still playing very deep - he's been doing that all throughout the league, but I'd prefer to see him stay in the FF line.

Zulu

I agree lads, the amount of time Connolly was in his own half was ridiculous, that isn't his game so I presume it's being done to accommodate O'Gara and BB in the full forward line. Connolly is a scorer and should be allowed to finish the chances the grunt work creates. If Dublin put their faith in Connolly and BB then I think they'll go close to winning Sam. Who they play with them in the FF line and what role he takes is debatable. As AZ says, Dublin will hardly win without Connolly so getting the most out of him is Gilroy's real challenge.

heffo

I honestly don't see us as genuine contenders tbh and I'm not being coy or cute.

We have a very weak midfield so have to use the wings or kick short - if you don't have the option of going long you're going to be found out eventually

Declan

QuoteWe have a very weak midfield so have to use the wings or kick short

Surely now McConnell will get a start ?

Billys Boots

Quotesurely Dublin have a better centre-half back than Ger Brennan?

I agree, and have thought that too for a long time.  Racking my brain, I can't see the attraction (even strategically) why he's be preferred there to, say for the sake of argument, Barry Cahill.  Unless it's a cunning plan to give away frees between the 45 and 65.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 11, 2011, 12:01:26 PM

but Brogan is a passer

Who'd have thought it only 2 or 3 seasons ago?

Orangemac

Quote from: INDIANA
/quote]

We're not in that great a place.

Not as good a team as last year. In my view.

Midfield is a weakness and we've no idea as to our forward line setup.

Kildare and Dublin was a very average football match. I watched Cork and Kerry last week and it was several levels above in terms of quality.

Connolly was very harshly treated today in my view. Bernard Brogan should have been the first taken off.
Would agree with a lot of this. Dublin seem to have slipped back from last year ( although they started badly last year, poor v Wexford and Meath, average v Armagh).
Midfield does seem to be struggling and forward line needs an injection of something. B Brogan hit unbelievable heights last year but he can't carry the team although it is good to see Alan Brogan back to his best. Connolly has never really stood up on a big day, O Gara is a handful but not enough of a threat and if Mossy Quinn wasn't the answer 5 years ago he is not now.McMenamin needs to start the next day as he has a bit of bull about him. There was a fella (Dias) playing for Kilmacud, could he in a bit of pace to the HF line?

Jinxy

They've plenty of pace in the HF line as it is.
Actually, they've pace everywhere.
If you were any use you'd be playing.