Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: Hereiam on March 14, 2014, 02:59:44 PM
Wouldn't it be great if every woman man & child who goes to a St Patrick's day parade in the wee 6 bring along their own wee tri-colour to wave. Sure if one side can display their culture why can't the other.
is waving wee flags part of our culture?

Hereiam

My point is that on St Patricks day we are told not to bring tri colours to any marches as it would mean that our fellow brethen would get offended. I do believe alot of nationalist people here would be ashamed to be seen with a tri colour in their hands. On the other hand we have the butchers cloth rammed down our throats at every opportunity.

armaghniac

Such is the Stockholm syndrome of many in the sick counties that  they would think it "provocative" to act as people do everywhere else in the world on St Patrick's day

Philadelphia

Moscow

Melbourne

Toronto

Seoul

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Wouldn't it be great if every woman man & child who goes to a St Patrick's day parade in the wee 6 bring along their own wee tri-colour to wave. Sure if one side can display their culture why can't the other.
Because our "culture" (well mine anyway) isn't defined by a flag? Because we're not that insecure in our identity?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 15, 2014, 09:22:05 AM
Because our "culture" (well mine anyway) isn't defined by a flag? Because we're not that insecure in our identity?
+1
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

BennyCake

There's an excuse for Americans, but when I see an Irish person wearing a green leprechaun hat, I want to slap them!

CD

Is it ok if I keep me fake beard and crock'o'gold?
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Rossfan

Quote from: BennyCake on March 15, 2014, 12:59:28 PM
There's an excuse for Americans, but when I see an Irish person wearing a green leprechaun hat, I want to slap them!
+1. Painful fcukin eejits.
I'm Irish every day of the year and don't need to dress like a fool on 17th March.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Myles Na G.

Being Irish and wrapping yourself in the flag of the 26 counties don't necessarily go hand in hand. I'm heading out shortly to watch three Irish heroes - Best, Trimble and Henry - who wouldn't necessarily view the tricolour as their national flag. Those who promote the notion that, to be truly Irish, you have to show allegiance to the symbols of one of the two states on this island are doing the cause of Irish unity no favours. Come the day when we have a 32 county state, it won't be the tricolour that flies from the top of our national parliament.

armaghniac

The tricolour is the flag of the Irish nation,  it is also used by the State containing the larger part of that nation. St Patrick's day isn't about the state, it is about the nation.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: armaghniac on March 15, 2014, 05:08:12 PM
The tricolour is the flag of the Irish nation,  it is also used by the State containing the larger part of that nation. St Patrick's day isn't about the state, it is about the nation.
Nope, the tricolour is the flag of one - the 26 county part - of the Irish nation. It is not the flag of the entire country. We don't have a 32 county flag yet.

armaghniac

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 15, 2014, 07:53:29 PM
Nope, the tricolour is the flag of one - the 26 county part - of the Irish nation. It is not the flag of the entire country. We don't have a 32 county flag yet.

The tricolour flies in all parts of Ireland and will be used to represent the Irish nation throughout the world on St Patrick's day.
As I said, the fact that a political state representing most Irish people also use it does not change this.

rrhf

Designing a new flag that would be acceptable could we remove the yellow colour  and replace with with some nice northerm orange and maybe us the green and white used all over.

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on March 15, 2014, 10:04:55 PM

The tricolour flies in all parts of Ireland and will be used to represent the Irish nation throughout the world on St Patrick's day.
As I said, the fact that a political state representing most Irish people also use it does not change this.

The Irish flag has nothing to do with St Patrick, and why anyone would flag it tomorrow baffles me.

andoireabu

Quote from: BennyCake on March 16, 2014, 07:13:50 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 15, 2014, 10:04:55 PM

The Irish flag has nothing to do with St Patrick, and why anyone would flag it tomorrow baffles me.
Does it really? Patron saint of Ireland, celebrated by Irish people flying Irish flags.  Hard to understand alright
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!