Flags & Culture.....

Started by front of the mountain, July 01, 2011, 10:20:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2013, 07:16:51 PM
Ok so we'll have the Union Jack flying up the Shankill the Tricolour up the Falls and the new flag flying in Malone?????

2 flags are too much FFS no need for another one, who da fcuk gives a flying fiddlers about flegs other than dumbwits?

This place is a shit hole at times run by shit stirrers
Surely there's 3 if you include the NI flag / Ulster banner / call it what you will.  A flag acceptable to all to replace the NI flag / Ulster banner might be something to consider.  Given that a significant % of Catholics now have some sort of Northern Irish identity (If the last census is to be believed), I think a new flag is worth considering at least.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: michaelg on December 03, 2013, 08:35:32 PM
Ok so we'll have the Union Jack flying up the Shankill the Tricolour up the Falls and the new flag flying in Malone?????

2 flags are too much FFS no need for another one, who da fcuk gives a flying fiddlers about flegs other than dumbwits?

Surely there's 3 if you include the NI flag / Ulster banner / call it what you will.  A flag acceptable to all to replace the NI flag / Ulster banner might be something to consider.  Given that a significant % of Catholics now have some sort of Northern Irish identity (If the last census is to be believed), I think a new flag is worth considering at least.

Why cause more hassle by introducing another flag. I for one will not be dropping my allegiance to the tricolour ever. The ulster flag Michael is different from ni flag as it covers Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan- I'm sure you know that.
This new NI identity will not fly.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 03, 2013, 08:58:52 PM

Why cause more hassle by introducing another flag. I for one will not be dropping my allegiance to the tricolour ever. The ulster flag Michael is different from ni flag as it covers Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan- I'm sure you know that.
Maybe it's our shared Ulster identity we should be focusing on, rather than the 'Northern Irish' identity, which is always going to be contentious.

michaelg

Fully aware of difference between 6 and 9 county flags, as I'm pretty sure you gathered from my post.  As for your closing sentence, although it clearly does not appeal to you, the new NI identity does seem to be acceptable to a significant number of younger catholics in Northern Ireland.  Therefore, why not introduce a new NI flag acceptable to all.  Obviously both communities will still have an allegiance to the tricolour and Union Jack as well, but why not have a third flag acceptable to all?

bennydorano

Proposed new fleg = Ireland's Call

Jeepers Creepers

Not enough green in it.....not enough blue in it (repeat 8,000 times). A more interesting flag question is 'if' Scotland votes for independence will the union flag be redesigned?

armaghniac

Northern Ireland is an abomination, it does not need a flag implying that it is normal place.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Itchy

Ban flagpoles, problem solved.

Cold tea

Quote from: michaelg on December 03, 2013, 09:20:06 PM

Fully aware of difference between 6 and 9 county flags, as I'm pretty sure you gathered from my post.  As for your closing sentence, although it clearly does not appeal to you, the new NI identity does seem to be acceptable to a significant number of younger catholics in Northern Ireland.  Therefore, why not introduce a new NI flag acceptable to all.  Obviously both communities will still have an allegiance to the tricolour and Union Jack as well, but why not have a third flag acceptable to all?

Because it won't be acceptable to all so it is a stupid idea. We should just wait until Scotland votes for independance, surely the union jack can't exist then in it's current format.  :D

LeoMc

Quote from: Cold tea on December 04, 2013, 07:35:30 AM
Quote from: michaelg on December 03, 2013, 09:20:06 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on May 24, 1974, 07:53:53 AMb][/b]2]

Because it won't be acceptable to all so it is a stupid idea. We should just wait until Scotland votes for independance, surely the union jack can't exist then in it's current format.  :D
They lost 26 Counties but didn't remove St Patricks cross so they will hardly remove St Andrews if they lose another 33.

Applesisapples

Quote from: CD on December 03, 2013, 07:42:58 PM
We have a winner

That's the pradesant Mr Tayto...Where's are gud fenian wan?

CD

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 04, 2013, 09:57:09 AM
We have a winner

Just different coloured hats!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

deiseach

Recently had my first taste of the Prod Taytos. Give me the Fenian ones any day.

johnneycool

Quote from: CD on December 04, 2013, 10:37:41 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 04, 2013, 09:57:09 AM
We have a winner

Just different coloured hats!

Change that black hat to a bowler and hey presto, you've got de pradesants onside.

Bingo

A flag for all and its already in use.