Copa América July 1st-July24th 2011

Started by laoislad, June 30, 2011, 05:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

Great to see Larissa again! Hopefully Paraguay can do it.

Bogball XV

Fairly rubbish tournament so far, maybe it's the cold weather?  Chile and Uruguay tonight might liven it up a bit though?

paco

Haven't been many goals but I think the standard has been good and the games have been entertaining enough. All these draws (should) mean that the teams have to go for it in the next round of matches, the result being more open, entertaining games, although I said the same the whole way through last year's World Cup and look how that turned out!

Forever Green

1-0 Peru. Uruguay haven't got going yet

Forever Green

Blowitupref

Best & most enjoyable game of the tournament so far.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Forever Green

Good game. Peru surprised me, they were able to hold their own against a very strong Uruguay side. Chile and Mexico should be entertaining. Two teams that don't give a fcuk about defending

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Forever Green

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Forever Green

Costa Rica 2-0 Bolivia FT. Good result for Costa Rica against a 9 man Bolivia. Are Argentina going to fail to qualify for the quarter finals? A real possibility

Bogball XV

Quote from: Forever Green on July 08, 2011, 01:16:52 AM
Costa Rica 2-0 Bolivia FT. Good result for Costa Rica against a 9 man Bolivia. Are Argentina going to fail to qualify for the quarter finals? A real possibility
that'd be fairly disastrous - the group stage is a load of rubbish, play 3 games each in order to eliminate 4 teams out of 12.  The top 3 in two of the three groups go though, a win against the Costa Rican U23 side will see the Argies advance regardless of what else happens, a draw and they'd still have a great chance as one of the 2 best 3rd placed teams (out of three!!!).  The format needs to be looked at tbh.
Better off playing 2 groups of 5 with the top 2 going into semis.

paco

Looking forward to Chile and Uruguay tonight. On paper it looks great, but I just hope the teams aren't brainwashed by the "avoid losing" mentality that has plagued most international tournaments in recent years. Thankfully tomorrow night's game kicks off a bit earlier.

Bogball XV

Quote from: paco on July 08, 2011, 07:35:45 PM
Looking forward to Chile and Uruguay tonight. On paper it looks great, but I just hope the teams aren't brainwashed by the "avoid losing" mentality that has plagued most international tournaments in recent years. Thankfully tomorrow night's game kicks off a bit earlier.
The last world cup was rubbish, the last euro's was great and the the world cup in '06 was pretty good too - imo.