Body of Columba McVeigh set to be exhumed from a Cemetry near Scotstown

Started by ExcellentDriver, June 28, 2011, 06:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2011, 03:36:47 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 29, 2011, 03:30:31 PM
Really? Oh it was EG that said it?
Ah well you'll always be an inflated pompous poet to me anyhow.
No harm you being right about one issue anyway. You're getting your ass shredded on everything else today anyway.

That's right Uncle Tom.

Yeah think I saw that another thread yesterday. Was it meant for me? Though you were just having some sort of artistic patriotic outburst. But anyway thanks for thinking of me.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ross matt on June 29, 2011, 03:58:49 PM
Yeah think I saw that another thread yesterday. Was it meant for me? Though you were just having some sort of artistic patriotic outburst. But anyway thanks for thinking of me.

Don't mention it.

And now that you've engaged in your entrenched ritual of Republican bashing, relating to events that occurred over 3 decades ago, have you (and your kind) anything at all to say about the murderous LVF threats against innocent singers just over 3 days ago?

The silence from your type regarding same has been blinding, or mabye that was just the blinding hypocrisy.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ross matt

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2011, 04:04:10 PM

Don't mention it.

And now that you've engaged in your entrenched ritual of Republican bashing, relating to events that occurred over 3 decades ago, have you (and your kind) anything at all to say about the murderous LVF threats against innocent singers just over 3 days ago?

The silence from your type regarding same has been blinding, or mabye that was just the blinding hypocrisy.

"My type".... "My kind"" ?
Whats that exactly? ( I love it when you profile me. And in fairness if gives your won superiority complex a boost as well.)
Can you answer in poetry this time? One that rhymes cause I wouldnt be able to understand the complex high brow verses that dont.
Didnt hear the about the LVF thing you're referring to but have lumped them and "their kind" in with the provos plenty of times in the past so there's a rock waiting for them to crawl back under etc.

Nally Stand

Quote from: ross matt on June 29, 2011, 03:56:11 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 03:46:16 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 29, 2011, 03:21:54 PM
(that and Nally sympathising with the relatives really takes the buscuit).

Real classy.

And I apply the same question to you Ross..... I am a practicing Catholic - Should I therefor refrain from expressing sympathy to victims of abuse?*

*For the benefit EG, I would (again) explain that I ask this question in order to draw a parallel and to clarify what I see as double standards and hypocricy, not to in order to change the topic.

Ah no Nally. You're the classy one. Sympathising with them when a few weeks ago complaining about people going on about "the disappeared... the disappeared". Nice to see you overcoming the boredom and reaching out. Like all staunch catholics no hypocrisy with you!

Firstly, I have never been anything but sympathetic to the families of the Disappeared. As you will no doubt be aware, the post you are referring to above is referring to how a thread about the Queen of England in Croke Park was desperately being turned into a thread about the Disappeared by a certain poster who claimed that the Disappeared was the "Elephant in the room" and the central issue in the entire debate of whether the Queen of England should visit Croke Park. One poster even went as far as to say that I probably believed the IRA should be commended for the Disappeared. I replied:
p.s. quote where I said they should be commended

EDIT: You know what, scrap that 'p.s.' bit. You won't find such a quote and your attempts to bluff it off will only add to the thread going off topic)"
Amazingly, no quote was provided. In fact only in this very thread, this very week, did I state:
I have always been disgusted at the IRA disappearing bodies, both in recent times, and in Cork 1922 etc.

But back to my question which it seems I need to repeat (there's a shock):

I am a practicing Catholic - Should I therefor refrain from expressing sympathy to victims of abuse?

Oh by the way, I said I was a Practicing Catholic. That is enough for you to claim I am a "staunch" Catholic. In your words:
Quote from: ross matt on June 29, 2011, 04:11:43 PM
I love it when you profile me. And in fairness if gives your won superiority complex a boost as well.)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Don't mention it.

Found it interesting (though not surprising) that the usual suspects were very quiet when I started a thread about that earlier in the week. 327 views of a thread about the LVF threatening to kill the members of one of Ireland's best known folk bands, and only one poster replied. Loyalist violence must be much more palatable to the moral high grounders around here.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Puckoon

Can I infer that the highlighted portion above suggests that the time differential plays a role in how this atrocity must be judged? I've seen this suggestion mentioned numerous times, accompanied by the ascertion that events of that time cannot be judged through the mindset of the present. That argument would have more merit - if it was to be applied across the board. That would mean however that many of the posters most commongly using that argument would have to let go of Bloody Sunday, Collusion, shoot to kill etc also - and that doesn't appear to be forthcoming any time soon.

Personally I don't think that the dissapearing of bodies is something that should not be judged in today's terms. There is wrong is wrong - and then a few notches down there is the dissapeared. It obviously holds great disgust for the majority of the Catholic/nationalist community - with no need for side stepping, comparisons or semi-psedo arguments set against the backdrop of the time and the issue of informants. I was surprised to be honest to see that it took you somewhere in the region of 5 or 6 posts of defence and side tracking waffle to acknowledge. Repbulicans (particularly the two most prominent on this thread) would be better off taking the dissapeared on the chin, acknowledging the wrong without any ifs, ands or buts - because quite simply there is no defence, nor accompanying discussion needed when judging this issue.

EDIT: The disgust of other posters on this thread is something which rightfully exists,and most likely won't ever dissapate.

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 04:42:43 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on June 29, 2011, 04:32:51 PM
Repbulicans (particularly the two most prominent on this thread) would be better off taking the dissapeared on the chin, acknowledging the wrong without any ifs, ands or buts

I don't know if you are referring to me as one of those two Republicans, but speaking as a Republican, I did state:

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 28, 2011, 11:43:22 PM
I have always been disgusted at the IRA disappearing bodies, both in recent times, and in Cork 1922 etc.
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 28, 2011, 06:28:24 PM
Please God this brings good news for the family...
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 04:19:14 PM
I have never been anything but sympathetic to the families of the Disappeared.

You are a fascinating mixture of ideologue and attention seeker, Nallystand 
You should keep away from threads like this because you end up shooting yourself in the foot too often (at least your foot doesn't get an anonymous burial) but it is obviously hard for you to stop posting.

ross matt

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 04:24:42 PM

Don't mention it.

Found it interesting (though not surprising) that the usual suspects were very quiet when I started a thread about that earlier in the week. 327 views of a thread about the LVF threatening to kill the members of one of Ireland's best known folk bands, and only one poster replied. Loyalist violence must be much more palatable to the moral high grounders around here.

Speaking for Fear ? Tag team ? Or wait... one in the same?
Ok I need you to get up from the pc ... walk outside... put on a hat and come back in and repost all this except in verse this time.
You know... kinda the way Gerry used to go to the jacks and talk to the mirror when he had to consult the army council ;)

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2011, 04:51:27 PM
Repbulicans (particularly the two most prominent on this thread) would be better off taking the dissapeared on the chin, acknowledging the wrong without any ifs, ands or buts

I don't know if you are referring to me as one of those two Republicans, but speaking as a Republican, I did state:

You should keep away from threads like this because you end up shooting yourself in the foot too often (at least your foot doesn't get an anonymous burial) but it is obviously hard for you to stop posting.

Seafoid. I have asked you a question twice. It would be nice to hear a reply.

Do you hold the Old IRA in disdain?

Nally Stand

Quote from: ross matt on June 29, 2011, 04:51:40 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 04:24:42 PM

Don't mention it.

Speaking for Fear ? Tag team ? Or wait... one in the same?
Ok I need you to get up from the pc ... walk outside... put on a hat and come back in and repost all this except in verse this time.
You know... kinda the way Gerry used to go to the jacks and talk to the mirror when he had to consult the army council ;)

Ross Matt. I have asked you a question twice. It would be nice to hear a reply.

I am a practicing Catholic - Should I therefor refrain from expressing sympathy to victims of abuse?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on June 29, 2011, 12:06:29 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 28, 2011, 11:43:22 PMI have always been disgusted at the IRA disappearing bodies, both in recent times, and in Cork 1922 etc.
Have you ever been sufficiently disgusted by the Disappearances for them to cause you to withdraw your support for the IRA (Troubles or 1922)?

And if not, can you conceive of any limits which might have caused you to say: "Enough is Enough"?

While I agree with you in general on the dissappearing of bodies as being an horrendous act that I could never condone I think you could also ask the same question of yourself regarding the British security forces who are themselves up to their necks in wrong doings.

There is a dirty murky history to the troubles and that applies to all sides. I think the security forces should admit to what they've done, release their files to the Monaghan/dublin bombings for example and the IRA should do everything they can to help locate the bodies of the dissappeared and any other required acts that can give some closure to people who need it. I believe the IRA are trying to locate bodies and I can understand that it may be difficult given the time thats passed, certain memebers holding back info, bodies may have been moved etc. I'm not so sure the security forces are doing anything but trying to prevent their dirty secrets getting out, most of which are sitting in filing cabinets.

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 04:53:46 PM

Anyone in the old IRA who shot innocents was as bad as the people who killed Columba McVeigh.
BTW If this is something to be proud of why the secrecy?
And the treatment of Protestants in early days of the Free State was appalling.

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on June 29, 2011, 05:00:46 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on June 29, 2011, 04:53:46 PM

Anyone in the old IRA who shot innocents was as bad as the people who killed Columba McVeigh.
BTW If this is something to be proud of why the secrecy?
And the treatment of Protestants in early days of the Free State was appalling.

That is a cop-out answer. I didn't ask you about specific members of the old IRA, I asked you a simple question: do you hold the old IRA in disdain?

And what am I supposedly proud of, but being secretive about?

thebigfella

Don't mention it.

In fairness I haven't seen any official party political broadcasts on the board from the LVF, so does that post meet the conditions for whataboutery?

Hardy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 29, 2011, 03:41:16 PM
Quote from: Hardy on June 29, 2011, 03:32:37 PM
I think we'd all subscribe to that. But who decides who's innocent?

Really? EG, for example, believes that it's fine to kill tens of thousands of innocents, if the ends are justified.

Combatants are not innocent.
Again - that's the easy bit. But we're getting there. Who decides which non-combatants are innocent?