Can Armagh's Hurlers achieve the Impossible against Antrim?

Started by ExcellentDriver, June 28, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExcellentDriver

Highly unlikely, but fair play to the Orchard County for their development work in Hurling.

I sometimes head to Armagh City and it seems that all the young lads there are playing Hurling rather than Football. It's a similar Story in Inner-City Dublin.

Considering how Derry had a Purple Patch in Hurling 11 Years ago, let's hope Armagh can have a similar one this decade.
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

deise boy

really hope they make a break through love seen the so called weaker teams doin well because their is only a core of 5 teams that can really win the all ireland it makes it a bit to predictable compared to the football championship witch has numerous teams who can win it so best of luck to armagh  :)

Forever Green

Great to see Armagh making great strides in developing hurling over the past number of years. Hope they continue to do so and are challenging for hurling honours more often in the future.

MoChara

I just can't see it happening to be honest, they'll be fired up for it thats for sure so hopefully its a good game.

Kevin

No, but it hardly means that should dampen their enthusiasm or development.

Good luck to them.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kevin on June 29, 2011, 08:37:36 PM
No, but it hardly means that should dampen their enthusiasm or development.

Good luck to them.

If Antrim play with the team named today they will have a better chance of beating them. Antrim looking at the other game that will be their main objective. So a good chance of a upset or close to
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

Quote from: ExcellentDriver on June 28, 2011, 04:01:53 PM
Highly unlikely, but fair play to the Orchard County for their development work in Hurling.

I sometimes head to Armagh City and it seems that all the young lads there are playing Hurling rather than Football. It's a similar Story in Inner-City Dublin.

Considering how Derry had a Purple Patch in Hurling 11 Years ago, let's hope Armagh can have a similar one this decade.
Lets nail this myth, Armagh is a football county, even hurlers follow the football team. Some work has been done with development squads which has given some success at county level, but there are still only 2 senior clubs in Armagh and only one of those has actually played Senior Ulster Championship, football still garners most of the income and players.

RealSpiritof98

I think you've hit the nail on the head Apples, although I can testify that a lot of work is going in to the development of hurling throughout the county, we really are swimming against the tide and when push comes to shove football will always get the nod over hurling. I feel since the hurling board has fell under the auspices of the football board it can do only harm than good in the long term. Our Senior c'ship fixture has been scheduled for the same weekend that our club goes on an annual trip to Clarecastle/roanmore, there seems to be no moving the fixture by the 'County Board' whereas hurling men in the county know that this is a vital development trip for our youngsters, not to mention half the club takes their holidays around this weekend.

Weirdly the 1st thing I ask when I see a good hurling prospect is 'Is he any good at football' and 8 out of 10 times you get the dreaded answer 'YES'.

To answer the thread question is it depends how Antrim play it, If thye put out a weak 15 then I think there will be 40-45 minutes of competitive hurling with Antrim to pull away in the end!

Milltown Row2

Armagh are  7/1 for the game, no handicap betting yet. It should be bigger but based on the Antrin team that's about right. Worth a fiver!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardchieftain

7/1 is a terrible price, we were 10/1 against Down.

There are only 8 teams in our county so to reach an Ulster final is an unbelievable achievement. Armagh will have nothing to lose so will hopefully play above themselves and give Antrim the fright of their lives.

Minder

Hopefully there is a decent crowd, £13 maybe means there wont be, when you consider the double header last weekend was £9.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

north_antrim_hound

Can Armagh Hurlers achieve the Impossible against Antrim

let me think about this   NO
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Minder on June 30, 2011, 10:14:36 PM
Hopefully there is a decent crowd, £13 maybe means there wont be, when you consider the double header last weekend was £9.
£13 to the terrace (£15 to stand)? I suppose they'll justify the extra as it's the provincial final. I don't think the Armagh fans will let the price get in the way.

Can't see Antrim getting beat but with that Antrim team I could see Armagh getting to within 4 points at the final whistle.

Milltown Row2

More than likely Tony, would fear that they would get a man sent off as Jonty will have them well fired up!!

Lecale2

Even with that team out Antrim will win by 10+.

It's great to see the improvement in Armagh at all levels but their seniors aren't close to Antrim IIs yet.