Can Armagh's Hurlers achieve the Impossible against Antrim?

Started by ExcellentDriver, June 28, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oraisteach

ardchieftain, can you list the eight hurling teams in Armagh.  There were far fewer than that when I played.

RealSpirit, you bring back fond memories of Clarecastle.  Might have been on the first trip there about 40 years ago.  Great to see it still going.

Would love to see Armagh give Antrim a thrill.  I suppose the glensmen would have to go in very nonchalantly for that to happen.

Any radio or, God forbid, TV coverage of the game.

Applesisapples

Keady
Middletown
Cuchullains
Lurgan
Derrynoose
Portadown
Killeavy
Camlough
Not sure of the club names.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 01, 2011, 04:42:41 PM
Keady
Middletown
Cuchullains
Lurgan, Sean Tracey's  (is that the only Lurgan club?)
Derrynoose
Portadown
Killeavy
Camlough
Not sure of the club names.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 01, 2011, 04:39:06 PM
ardchieftain, can you list the eight hurling teams in Armagh.  There were far fewer than that when I played.

RealSpirit, you bring back fond memories of Clarecastle.  Might have been on the first trip there about 40 years ago.  Great to see it still going.

Would love to see Armagh give Antrim a thrill.  I suppose the glensmen would have to go in very nonchalantly for that to happen.

Any radio or, God forbid, TV coverage of the game.
There is radio commentary. Read somewhere it will be, but what channel I forget. I'll try & find out for you before Sunday. Would BBC not have it anyway. No other matches on up here

ExcellentDriver

I'm pretty sure that Portadown's Hurling Team is St. Malachy's. Their U-14s back in 1999 went to Croke Park to see a Leinster Semi-Final between Offaly and Wexford (I think Offaly won that one).
Stand up for the Ulstermen!

onefaircounty

Camlough are called Croabh Rua while Killeavy are the same as their football equivilants.

Best of luck to the lads, keeping it to a single-figure defeat would be a great achievement.

theskull1

Very possible that Armagh hurling support support could be higher than Antrims at the admission being charged
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Two Hands FFS

I wouldnt be suprised..especially with the Leinster Final on around the same time & the feis in Ballymena

laoisgaa

Maguire01

Only 6 points down at half-time - that's fairly decent.

ardchieftain

if the chances had have been converted after the goal there's be only 4 in it. Keep 'er lit Armagh

mountainboii

Very good effort from Armagh. Eight points was harsh, the five that was in it before Antrim's second goal would've been a fairer reflection. Great guts and work rate from all the Armagh lads.

But for a spell of 15 or 20 minutes in the first half, when Antrim outscored Armagh by 5 or 6 points, I thought there was little between the teams. Both Antrim goals were the results of bad f**k ups by Armagh players, if these mistakes had been cut out, and if Armagh had've been allowed through for a third goal instead of being very cynically stopped, things might have been a lot more interesting.

That said, there was always the feeling that Antrim had better players and could step it up if they really needed.

Was impressed by the Armagh keeper. In a couple of the games I'd have went to in the last few years Armagh seemed to find themselves a bit handicapped by sloppy goalkeeping errors. He's only 18 too, according to the programme. That seems to be a trend, with eight or nine of the starting team, and the whole subs bench, 22 or under. Plenty of scope for more progression then you'd assume.

Enjoyable way to spend a few hours anyway. Not going to hurling matches that often, I'm always struck by physicality allowed. It adds a lot to the game. A pity that there is such a drive to eradicate any of the same from football.