iPod Touch versus iPhone 4

Started by AZOffaly, June 27, 2011, 03:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Hi Lads and Ladies,

I submit this request respectfully to the great one stop advice centre that is GAABoard.com.

I currently have an old iPod nano, 4GB, and it I am about to replace it, the question is with what. I have bought a lot of music, and subscribe to a few podcasts, on the iPod, through iTunes, so I don't want to consider Android devices, etc.

I don't want an iPad, as I have a netbook that does me fine if I am travelling.

I also do not want a phone, as I am tied into using a blackberry at work (who pay my bills, so hard to argue).

So, it's basically down to an iPod Touch versus an iPhone that I wouldn't use as a phone.

I want access to some of the good apps, especially the American Sports ones, ESPN radio etc etc, and I also want WiFi. I don't know if I want 3G or not, do I need it?

Can I buy an iPhone that is not activated as a phone, and still use wireless etc, and if so, is there any point to that?

I'm leaning towards an iPod Touch, but I want to make sure I'm not completely missing something?
Cheers

Offalylad

Personally, I would recommend the iPod, It's much cheaper and no bill pay.

laoislad

I think its a no brainer really. If you dont want a phone then its the ipod touch all the way. I think you can download apps and get 3g coverage and all on the ipod.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

How do you get 3G coverage on the ipod touch without having a bill?  ???

laoislad

I dunno Puck that's why I said I think.

Still think even with or without 3G the Ipod touch would be better if you don't need a phone.

smokeyjoe

It might be an option to but an iphone4, but get it sim free, and then ask, your mobile network to swap over your number to a new micro sim, that way work will still pay your phone bill, and it avoids having to carry both blackberry and the ipod touch. just a thought, might not be possible.

supersub

Na blackberry data plans will only work on the blackberry. No point in this as I assume you use emails on your BB for work etc. No point in having a blackberry data plan on an iPhone.

However I don't see the point in getting an iPhone at all. If you got the itouch it would serve you perfectly well for music, apps and wifi. If you aren't going to use the iPhone as a phone then I can't see the need for it at all.

AZOffaly

Thanks lads. It appears ye would be of the same mindset as myself. iPod Touch it is.

Billys Boots

Sorry folks, had a trawl through the threads but can't find the answer.

Does anyone know how to back up your music (to hard drive or otherwise) on the iPhone if you need to get a new phone? - have been seriously struggling with getting iTunes to help (!!??).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 27, 2011, 10:41:01 PM
Thanks lads. It appears ye would be of the same mindset as myself. iPod Touch it is.

I'll be getting this on Thursday (I have to wait until it's my birthday!). I'm also looking at a mi-fi modem from either eMobile, O2 or 3 which is basically a 3G wireless hotspot that can connect up to 5 devices. eMobile has a 10GB limit per month for €20. I'm thinking of popping it in the car, and then I can listen to ESPN radio through my iTrip :D Such a nerd.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 08, 2011, 10:49:17 AM

Does anyone know how to back up your music (to hard drive or otherwise) on the iPhone if you need to get a new phone? - have been seriously struggling with getting iTunes to help (!!??).

Sorry Billy, didn't mean to ignore your question. I've no clue, bu I presume you have an iTunes account, so you should be able to register a computer as well, and then just synch with the new phone.

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2011, 10:59:19 AM

Sorry Billy, didn't mean to ignore your question. I've no clue, bu I presume you have an iTunes account, so you should be able to register a computer as well, and then just synch with the new phone.

Yeah, the problem is that most of my music was ripped from my CDs and 'thrown' onto the iPhone, not into the iTunes Library.  Now the Library doesn't seem to want to sync with my iPhone and I face having to start with the new phone from scratch.  Anyone, anyone??

take_yer_points

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 08, 2011, 11:44:00 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 08, 2011, 10:59:19 AM

Yeah, the problem is that most of my music was ripped from my CDs and 'thrown' onto the iPhone, not into the iTunes Library.  Now the Library doesn't seem to want to sync with my iPhone and I face having to start with the new phone from scratch.  Anyone, anyone??

BB, I did a quick search and came up with this;

http://i-funbox.com/

Sounds like it'll do what you need and is free to download

Billys Boots

Thanks very much indeed; that seems to work alright.  I'll report back if there are any problems.

laoislad

If you have any problems with that one there is also a program called idump that will do the same thing.
Have used it myself and works a treat.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/IPOD-TOOLS/Multimedia-IPOD-tools/iDump.shtml