Author Topic: Career Change  (Read 3299 times)

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
Re: Career Change
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 07:10:48 PM »
I did broach the subject in a recent appraisal, but to be honest I donít think it was taken seriously and my immediate manager quickly changed topic.  As I said previously, I wonít be getting a pay increase unless I had an offer on the table and even then they might not do anything.  They will argue that I donít have sufficient experience in my current role, as Iíve only been doing it for 2 years compared to others in the team who have much more experience, however: recruitment agency reckons I could get more elsewhere.

Be careful when listening to recruiters - they will tell you anything to get you on the books.
As someone said start looking around the market to see what a comparable wage is for your role and experience.
Take this to your next appraisal/1:1 along with tangible facts and figures on your performance.

If they dont play ball or take you seriously then start looking elsewhere to get your market worth
When talking to recruiters imagine you are talking to a used car dealer. You seem to be fairly honest in your own appraisal of your experience. If you aren't prepared to make a move ask your manager for specific detail on what you need to do to get promoted and/or a decent pay rise.

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 07:27:07 PM »
The role I'm looking at currently is a non development one whereas I currently still have some element of coding though mostly management. I'm hoping that if I do decide to go, the change of role will re-invigorate me.
But I do know that when you are doing the same job for too long, you do stagnate and that can affect your health.

Ah jeez - keep coding for as long as you can.

The minute you stop doing the actual work is the minute you start stagnating.

If yer bored, learn a new language.
i usse an speelchekor

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2019, 09:54:40 AM »
They have to believe you will leave, deal or no deal.