Munster Final 2011

Started by Kerry Mike, June 27, 2011, 12:55:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Orangemac on July 03, 2011, 11:19:03 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 03, 2011, 10:17:55 PM
Kerry don't play another competitive game for over a month so they will be more rusty than jaded.
This went against Kerry last year and other teams in the past (inc Armagh n 2006). Cork on the other hand could get a reasonable draw and face the Connaught champions in the QF.

Does anyone know what the QF line up in terms of provinces is?

On a more worrying note for Cork this is 3 defeats and 1 draw in last 4 championship games v Kerry. Cork have the beating of Kerry, they just never seem to have it when it matters.

Semi finals are Munster v Connacht and Ulster v Leinster

maigheo

Kerry don't play another competitive game for over a month so they will be more rusty than jaded.
This went against Kerry last year and other teams in the past (inc Armagh n 2006). Cork on the other hand could get a reasonable draw and face the Connaught champions in the QF.

On a more worrying note for Cork this is 3 defeats and 1 draw in last 4 championship games v Kerry. Cork have the beating of Kerry, they just never seem to have it when it matters.
its an open draw for the q-finals but its connacht v munster and leinster v ulster for the semi finals

Leo

Am I missing something?
The second half of this game was puke football in spades.
Did RTE spot that?
Fierce tame altogether

Buckass

Who got motm on sunday game?

paco

AZOffaly

Main Street

It's unfortunate that so many of those Munster players are accident prone.

When/if they meet again, in the sf or final, I think Cork will get the upper hand.

NP 76

Cant see why Donaghy shouldnt of been sent off did he not strike an opponent

Declan

Only saw the highlights on SG but a real game of two halves .Kerry looked excellent in the first half and a great goal from O'Sullivan. Cork very good in the second half and could have/ should have drawn the game.
Donaghy's kick/stamp was nasty and he should have got the line. But it sets it up nicely for later in the summer

mannix

Mayo or Roscommon would be severe underdogs against cork, nothing to lose and thats what we in mayo would really like to see.remember Tyrone in 2004, they were jumping for joy when they got mayo in the draw, the game did not turn out as expected.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: paco on July 03, 2011, 11:35:19 PM
Quote from: Buckass on July 03, 2011, 11:31:06 PM
Who got motm on sunday game?

Declan O'Sullivan.

As I suspected, if Kerry's half-forward line saw enough of the ball they'd win, and that they did.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

nrico2006

Great score yesterday by Eoin Brosnan.  Your man Kerrigan has some speed about him, don't think there would be many in the game quicker than him or Darren O'Sullivan.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

Decent game yesterday, Cork's midfield bought into the hype and didn't show up, very disappointed in Aidan Walsh but he'll be back. Declan O'Sullivan was head and shoulders above everyone else, a class act. Kerry put a lot of effort into winning the middle third and because of that they were out on their feet near the end and were nearly caught, if Kerrigan's or Miskella's shot had sneaked in it they would have gone on to win I feel. Cork won't be too worried though, they were a kick of the ball away from winning and have plenty to work on, not a bad place to be. They will be very worried about Ciarán Sheehan though, he'd be a massive loss for them, hope it's not as bad as it looked. Officials got the Donaghy decision right for me, more of a shove than a kick or a stamp. O'Leary's histrionics after were deplorable, hopefully all referees were watching and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for the rest of the summer.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on July 04, 2011, 11:56:23 AM
Decent game yesterday, Cork's midfield bought into the hype and didn't show up, very disappointed in Aidan Walsh but he'll be back. Declan O'Sullivan was head and shoulders above everyone else, a class act. Kerry put a lot of effort into winning the middle third and because of that they were out on their feet near the end and were nearly caught, if Kerrigan's or Miskella's shot had sneaked in it they would have gone on to win I feel. Cork won't be too worried though, they were a kick of the ball away from winning and have plenty to work on, not a bad place to be. They will be very worried about Ciarán Sheehan though, he'd be a massive loss for them, hope it's not as bad as it looked. Officials got the Donaghy decision right for me, more of a shove than a kick or a stamp. O'Leary's histrionics after were deplorable, hopefully all referees were watching and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt for the rest of the summer.

I agree with all of that. Sometimes Donaghy is silly on the field, and he does things that could get him in trouble, such as that, but O'Leary certainly tried to make it out to be something it wasn't. And of course it was O'Leary hanging out of him that sparked the incident in the first place. Good job Galvin didn't come on yesterday. With O'Leary and Cadogan both on the field, he'd not have lasted 10 minutes.

blanketattack

Fantastic Munster Final debut for Enright. Up until he went off injured he had kept Kerrigan completely quiet. Kerrigan didn't get an inch of space off him, the only ball he got was after the ball was blocked by Tom O'Sullivan and rebounded off Donaghy's head.
Maher in only his second Munster Final was also great. His shoulder and dispossession of Canty was inspirational. He was the standout midfielder until he tired in the 2nd half.
Sheahan was probably taken off because after playing almost 60 minutes in blistering heat, covering a huge amount of ground he was surely exhausted as he wouldn't be used to that much running.
It also showed great resolve by the Kerry defense to keep Cork scoreless for the last 16 minutes, when the gap was narrowed to one point.