Laois v Kildare Round 2 Qualifier

Started by Dinny Breen, June 26, 2011, 08:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

Is Flynn back for this? If he is he has to start. The Dubs match seemed to pass Lynch by after having a stormer in the second half against Meath. Interesting to see how Mikey gets on with the Juniors tomorrow night but it's hard to see him featuring when he wasn't introduced against Dublin. Put Johnny back in the forward line and give him a free role. I'd also hope that Rob Kelly gets the nod in the full-forward line with O'Connor held in reserve. I think O'Connor would suit Kevin Meaney whereas Kelly will trouble him. I'd give both Smith and Kavanagh one last chance but have the likes of Dowling and Fogarty ready to come on if they're not firing. Darroch Mulhall would be another one to be considered if he plays well tomorrow.

Connolly
McLoughlin (would be tempted to retain Lyons given the type of inside forwards Laois have but not sure if he's fit)
Foley
McGrillen
White (if he's not fit then either Flanagan or Scanlon)
M O'Flaherty
Bolton
Flynn
Lynch (replace him with Conor Brophy when he runs out of steam around the fifty minute mark)
Callaghan
E O'Flaherty
Doyle
Smith
Kelly (have him dropping off both Smith and Kavanagh inside)
Kavanagh (probably our most accurate player so he should be kept as close to the opposition goal as possible)
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2011, 08:28:04 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 05, 2011, 12:58:14 AM
laois will give kildare a serious game, I think kildare are seriously over rated, people are too much in awe of geezer, kildare are no more fitter than any other team knocking around.................... ::)

time for a huddle

No shit Sherlock!!

Doesn't say much for Dublin that took a serious of awful decisions to beat this over-rated Kildare side, maybe if you mentioned that Kildare are missing 2 All-Stars Earley and Kelly, their player of the year from last year Flynn, their player of the year from two years ago Conway and that two of the best forwards in the championship in the last two years are suffering poor form,Smith and Kavanagh. That Kildare don't have the strength in dept of Cork or Dublin to carry those losses maybe your argument would have creedence. Kildare can't cope because their natural replacements are just too young, Kildare have some smashing players coming through all of whom have beaten Meath and Dublin regularly at minor and u/21.

Instead you offer generalisations, who are these people in awe of Geezer or are you not allow praise a man who has helped turn around the off-field structures of Kildare football, when McGeeney leaves he will leave Kildare in a much better state than when he arrived, as a coach that is all you can ask.

As for the fitness comment, I'm sure the Meath lads would like to comment on that...

;D talk about taking the bait.................. you will be bringing back glenn ryan at this rate such are your musings of players missing from two years ago  ;)

I hope we meet again in the champo and this time we can have 15 on the park as opposed to the last two games we played were we soldiered with 14 for the majority of the games, your underage talent is pretty awesome indeed and a leinster is defo on the way to ye, if not more.

peace out

Dinny Breen

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 05, 2011, 12:29:03 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 05, 2011, 08:28:04 AM
Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 05, 2011, 12:58:14 AM
laois will give kildare a serious game, I think kildare are seriously over rated, people are too much in awe of geezer, kildare are no more fitter than any other team knocking around.................... ::)

time for a huddle

No shit Sherlock!!

Doesn't say much for Dublin that took a serious of awful decisions to beat this over-rated Kildare side, maybe if you mentioned that Kildare are missing 2 All-Stars Earley and Kelly, their player of the year from last year Flynn, their player of the year from two years ago Conway and that two of the best forwards in the championship in the last two years are suffering poor form,Smith and Kavanagh. That Kildare don't have the strength in dept of Cork or Dublin to carry those losses maybe your argument would have creedence. Kildare can't cope because their natural replacements are just too young, Kildare have some smashing players coming through all of whom have beaten Meath and Dublin regularly at minor and u/21.

Instead you offer generalisations, who are these people in awe of Geezer or are you not allow praise a man who has helped turn around the off-field structures of Kildare football, when McGeeney leaves he will leave Kildare in a much better state than when he arrived, as a coach that is all you can ask.

As for the fitness comment, I'm sure the Meath lads would like to comment on that...

;D talk about taking the bait.................. you will be bringing back glenn ryan at this rate such are your musings of players missing from two years ago  ;)

I hope we meet again in the champo and this time we can have 15 on the park as opposed to the last two games we played were we soldiered with 14 for the majority of the games, your underage talent is pretty awesome indeed and a leinster is defo on the way to ye, if not more.

peace out

As you know Glenn didn't play 2 years ago but I expect him to be Kildare's next manager after McGeeney, he's doing a good job with Longford and while I'm very happy with McGeeney no harm in having a bit of succession planning in place.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 05, 2011, 12:02:27 PM
Is Flynn back for this? If he is he has to start. The Dubs match seemed to pass Lynch by after having a stormer in the second half against Meath. Interesting to see how Mikey gets on with the Juniors tomorrow night but it's hard to see him featuring when he wasn't introduced against Dublin. Put Johnny back in the forward line and give him a free role. I'd also hope that Rob Kelly gets the nod in the full-forward line with O'Connor held in reserve. I think O'Connor would suit Kevin Meaney whereas Kelly will trouble him. I'd give both Smith and Kavanagh one last chance but have the likes of Dowling and Fogarty ready to come on if they're not firing. Darroch Mulhall would be another one to be considered if he plays well tomorrow.

Connolly
McLoughlin (would be tempted to retain Lyons given the type of inside forwards Laois have but not sure if he's fit)
Foley
McGrillen
White (if he's not fit then either Flanagan or Scanlon)
M O'Flaherty
Bolton
Flynn
Lynch (replace him with Conor Brophy when he runs out of steam around the fifty minute mark)
Callaghan
E O'Flaherty
Doyle
Smith
Kelly (have him dropping off both Smith and Kavanagh inside)
Kavanagh (probably our most accurate player so he should be kept as close to the opposition goal as possible)

I think tomorrow's night game is massive for the likes of Mulhall and Conway, 2 good performances and I can see both starting against Laois, Mulhall for his free taking (best on the panel imho) and Conway for that creativity around the middle third that was missing against Dublin.

Connolly
Lyons
Foley
McGrillen
White
M O'Flaherty
Bolton
Flynn
Lynch
Conway
E O'Flaherty
Callaghan
Doyle
Mulhall
Kelly

I think Smith and Jimmers are struggling for form and maybe be bested coming from the bench.

Sunday will be intense, Laois only had 2K at the Tipp game so won't be close to a sell-out maybe 10K max. Big game for Kildare, little pressure on Laois.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dont Matter

I'm afraid it's the same prblems with Laois as usual, players droping off the panel. infighting. Just not goin well at all. The lilies should win easy.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Go home ref

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 29, 2011, 03:44:43 PM
It looks like Colm Parkinson has taken to this twitter lark:

@Woolberto
Colm Parkinson
was away the past week...saw the dub game...controversial ending, wasnt a free...delighted for that knobhead mcloughlin tho #gaa
28 Jun via web

Pot Kettle Black!! At least Andriu doesn't walk around like an arrogant p***k with the sleeves cut off his shirt like an attention seeking arsehole

The Boy Wonder

Seems Colm P has got some people would up. Never mind - he's not part of the panel anymore so he can't hurt you  ;D

So will the Lillywhites live up to their reputation and wallop Laois on Sat ?  Did they peak last year when so unlucky not to reach AI Final ? Would they have beaten the Rebels and taken home Sam ?  Can they raise their game yet again after the being so cruelly denied in Leinster Final against the Dubs. Have the doubts now crept in ?

For Laois it is straightforward - go out and show that they are a better team than their performances Vs Longford and Dublin suggest. Restore some pride for the hidings received in Tullamore from Kildare and Meath in past 2 years.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: The Boy Wonder on July 06, 2011, 12:06:30 AM
Seems Colm P has got some people would up. Never mind - he's not part of the panel anymore so he can't hurt you  ;D

So will the Lillywhites live up to their reputation and wallop Laois on Sat ?  Did they peak last year when so unlucky not to reach AI Final ? Would they have beaten the Rebels and taken home Sam ?  Can they raise their game yet again after the being so cruelly denied in Leinster Final against the Dubs. Have the doubts now crept in ?

For Laois it is straightforward - go out and show that they are a better team than their performances Vs Longford and Dublin suggest. Restore some pride for the hidings received in Tullamore from Kildare and Meath in past 2 years.

Who'd have thought Kildare have more question marks hanging over them than Laois?

Conway and Mulhall both starting for Kildare tonight in the Leinster JFC final. Interesting to see how they get on. Conway might even be in contention for a start at left half-back on Saturday if Emmet Bolton fails his fitness test.

Donnellys Hollow

Cill Dara (v Laoise 9/7/11):

1 Shane Connolly (Naomh Lorcan)
2 Aindriú MacLochlainn (Baile Eilis)
3 Mick Foley (Áth Í)
4 Hugh McGrillen (Cill Droichid)
5 Gary White (Na Sairséalaigh)
6 Morgan O'Flaherty (Cairbre)
7 Ollie Lyons (Cill Droichid)
8 Johnny Doyle (Fíodh Alúine)
9 Hugh Lynch (Confaigh)
10 Pádraig O'Neill (Naomh Lorcan)
11 Eoghan O'Flaherty (Cairbre)
12 Éamonn Callaghan (Nás na Ríogh)
13 Rob Kelly (Teach Srafáin)
14 Tomás O'Connor (Claonadh)
15 Fionn Dowling (Crochta na Gréine)

Always risky to take one of McGeeney's named teams at face value but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there were no alterations this time round. Seemingly neither Bolton or Flynn are fit to start which is a blow to Kildare's chances. It will be the first championship match that Bolton hasn't started under McGeeney. Only Johnny has started every other championship match since 2008. A lot of the lads on the Kildare site had Flanagan as a replacement for Bolton but I'm pleased to see Lyons get another chance. Bolton's physicality will be missed but Ollie possesses great pace and like Bolton he is capable of getting on the end of attacking moves.

Flynn's absence is compounded by the fact that we're having to play Johnny out there to compensate. The Kildare forwards just don't move as well when Johnny isn't in there. I would have started Conor Brophy and moved Johnny to the forwards. I think Paudie O'Neill is lucky enough. Got through plenty of work but never threatened to trouble the umpires against Dublin. He's well able to chip in with a few scores and hopefully he'll show it on Saturday because if he drops deep he'll be chasing McMahon or Strong up and down the field all evening.

Delighted to see Kelly finally getting a championship start but the named full-forward line is certainly a gamble. I'm not sure if O'Connor is as effective starting as he is coming off the bench and I hope Kildare don't just hoof high hopeful ball in on top of him. Dowling is talented but raw. Hopefully he'll get an early score to settle him down. They might be off form, but it's surprising that both Smith and Kavanagh have been dropped. I thought at least one of them would get another chance in the full-forward line.

squire_in_navy_slacks

What a waste playing johnny doyle in the middle of the park..................... the mans a legend of a forward, leave him were he belongs,, he was flat out against us in the semi, missed a free at one stage on the cusack side, he looked absolutely dead on his feet when he went to take it

laoislad

Laois Team:
Culliton
Healy
Meaney
Timmons
Strong
Julian
McMahon
Quigley
Clancy
Begley
O Loughlin
Donoher
Munnelly
Kingston
Tierney
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ck

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on July 09, 2011, 12:17:08 AM
What a waste playing johnny doyle in the middle of the park..................... the mans a legend of a forward, leave him were he belongs,, he was flat out against us in the semi, missed a free at one stage on the cusack side, he looked absolutely dead on his feet when he went to take it

Totally agree. The man can play anywhere but surely he is the most dangerous forward they have, if allowed to play there.

heffo

Kildare certainly getting the breaks today - soft penalty, no red card for O'Connor striking & about ten steps before their first point.