17. Tony Kernan Crossmaglen
18. Colm Watters Cullaville
19. Gavin McParland Ballymacnab
20. John Murtagh Parnells
21. Billy Joe Padden Carrickcruppin
22. Vincent Martin Dromintee
23. Caolan Rafferty Granemore
24. Rory Grugan Ballymacnab

If we're going down there without Ciaran McKeever, its going to be one hell of a battle. That 9/4 about Wicklow is cracking value, I'd price this one up Armagh 4/6 Wicklow 6/4.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

PatDaly

Brian Mallon starts and not Tony Kernan????

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: PatDaly on July 14, 2011, 09:52:07 PM
Brian Mallon starts and not Tony Kernan????

I don't feel either have done enough recently to merit a starting spot. I'd have rather seen Billie Joe or one of the Ballymacnab lads in the half forward line.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

armagho9

Id be happy enough with that team considering our options.  The best games i have seen Tony Kernan play seems to be when he comes on as a sub, still think Brian Mallon could do a job for us but he needs to step up soon.

Looks like MOR coming out to half forwards with Hanratty, Vernon and Lavery as a three man midfield, so we should compete much better there this time.  Glad to see Decky McKenna in for Duffy, not sure if Duffy was carrying a knock or whatever but to me he didnt look interested in the first half last week.  Optimistic.

IF we get past Wicklow is there any word of McKeever, Toner and Swifts injuries?

Orangemac

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 14, 2011, 10:16:28 PM
Brian Mallon has been given more chances over the years with several managers from Big Joe to POR and he has never been able to put together a performance worth talking about, all buzz and no sting.

He has played well in fits and starts ( remember brilliant point in SF IN 2005 when half Tyrone team was after him) but would agree he has had more than enough chances.McParland deserves a chance after the last game.

PatDaly

Quote from: Orangemac on July 14, 2011, 11:33:22 PM
Brian Mallon has been given more chances over the years with several managers from Big Joe to POR and he has never been able to put together a performance worth talking about, all buzz and no sting.

He has played well in fits and starts ( remember brilliant point in SF IN 2005 when half Tyrone team was after him) but would agree he has had more than enough chances.McParland deserves a chance after the last game.

Brian Mallon scored a great point in 2005 - of what exact relevance is that? How has Brian Mallon performed for Armagh over the last 12 months? If the truth be told he's a serious weak link in the Armagh team that many Armagh fans outside of South Armagh fail to recognise.

Rufus T Firefly

If the worst comes to the worst, and we take a spill on Saturday, I would assume that the position of management will be under severe scrutiny. That said, POR can justifiably turn around on this occasion and lament his luck; both Paul Duffy and David McKenna missing through injury to add to Nippy Swift, Ronan Clarke, Kieran Toner and Ciaran McKeever. At this stage of the dreaded rebuilding, such losses must impact.

On the basis that that is the fifteen that will start, I would like to see Deccie go to six and Kevin Dyas and Finn Mo occupy the left of the defence - preferrably with Kevin going to seven and Finn Mo dropping back. I'd hope KD would offer more going forward and give them something to think about. I'm also guessing we will try Malachy Mackin on the edge of the square again, with MOR going to half forward, possibly Stevie coming deeper and Hanratty playing around the middle.

I think Brian Mallon can count himself lucky - I hope he grabs this chance with both hands. I'll be honest, I would have had BJP in there - if he is not injured, then I cannot understand the extent of his fall from grace.

The team will be up against it big time - unfamiliar surroundings, weakened team, inexperienced players, opposition playing with a spring in their step and a pasionate and expectant crowd behind them. I'm glad I'll be there to roar Armagh on.  ;)

Best of luck to the players and management and in particular to Deccie McKenna!!   8)

PAULD123

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on July 15, 2011, 12:13:05 AM
...That said, POR can justifiably turn around on this occasion and lament his luck; both Paul Duffy and David McKenna missing through injury to add to Nippy Swift, Ronan Clarke, Kieran Toner and Ciaran McKeever. ...

That injury list is certainly bad news for Armagh. But you cannot lament luck when you are a Division one side playing against a Division four side. Even without those players Armagh should be beating the likes of Wicklow.

Down were missing Hughes, MaGinn, Rogers, Rafferty, McCartan, Garvey, and Murtagh when we played Clare. Despite those players being out it still would not have been good enough for us to lose, which nearly happened. We could not have put it down to injuries and bad luck. It simply wouldn't have been good enough.

No such thing as bad luck in this next game, the side quoted has absolutely enough talent to beat Wicklow and if they don't then it will be an abject failure not an excusable one due to injuries.

However to give balance to my comment - If the same injury list exists and Armagh had to play Tyrone, then yes it would be justifiable to say that bad luck would be having an serious affect on your ability to win.

DuffleKing

Everything relates back to down don't you know...

I love new posters who think people from other counties are interested in their opinions on everything

PAULD123

Quote from: DuffleKing on July 15, 2011, 09:13:05 AM
Everything relates back to down don't you know...

I love new posters who think people from other counties are interested in their opinions on everything

Firstly - I'm hardly a "new" poster.

Secondly  - It was an appropriate and fair comparison, a division 1 side, with a lengthy injury list, playing away to a division 4 side.

Thirdly (and most importantly) - Exactly what discursive benefit was your post? What aspect of the game, the team, the performance, the tactics or the significance of the result does it address? Or even what aspect of my comment does it constructively agree with, or counter in relation to the subject?

Please try to say something useful or objective about the subject matter, and try to restrict your irrelevant personal bitter attacks which have no benefit to people wishing to engage in intelligent discussion.

And finally, if you want to stay in your little dictatorship world where you only have to listen to the opinions of people who you think have a right to hold one, then you could set up a facebook page or have an email group. If you are not interested in more than a restricted number of people's opinions then why are you engaging on a public "opinion" forum?

BerfArmagh

any word on which match they are showing on rte on saturday night?

AZOffaly

Quote from: BerfArmagh on July 15, 2011, 09:51:46 AM
any word on which match they are showing on rte on saturday night?

Kildare and Meath I think.

heffo

I'm sick of the sight of those flour bags!

AZOffaly

In the Kildare Meath thread Dinny gave a statistic like this will be 9 in a row championship matches for Kildare on TV, and something like 18 of their last 20.

Applesisapples

Correct, and Tony Kernan has had one poor game against Derry and hes a better player than Padden. IMO