Longford v Tyrone - Qualifiers Round 2 - 9 July 2011

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 26, 2011, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Shamrock Shore

It's Pat McEnaney alright. Why an Ulster ref??? He'll ride us to hell and back  >:(

Do all ye boys and girls know how to get to Pearse Park.

If you are coming through Granard can I suggest you take the Edgewortstown route to Longford (N55 to Etown and then the N4) as opposed to the route via Ballinalee (R194) . The former is a better road even if it's slightly longer.

If you are coming my suggested route take the Longford bypass heading towards Sligo and you cannot miss the pitch as it's just off the bypass. You'll see the cars parked. Turn the car for home.

You may want to head into Longford town for a jar or two. If so, ignore the bypass (obviously). The pitch will be on the old Sligo road heading out of the town. Again you will see the cars being parked.

Pitch is 15 min walk from town centre. Expect a 10 or so min walk from bypass if you get there with half hour before throw in. County Board may open some car parks on the bypass (they did this the time the Dubs came a calling there a few years ago)

seafoid

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on July 04, 2011, 05:09:10 PM
It's Pat McEnaney alright. Why an Ulster ref??? He'll ride us to hell and back  >:(

If you are coming through Granard can I suggest you take the Edgewortstown route to Longford (N55 to Etown and then the N4) as opposed to the route via Ballinalee (R194) . The former is a better road even if it's slightly longer.

If you are coming my suggested route take the Longford bypass heading towards Sligo and you cannot miss the pitch as it's just off the bypass. You'll see the cars parked. Turn the car for home.

You may want to head into Longford town for a jar or two. If so, ignore the bypass (obviously). The pitch will be on the old Sligo road heading out of the town. Again you will see the cars being parked.

Pitch is 15 min walk from town centre. Expect a 10 or so min walk from bypass if you get there with half hour before throw in. County Board may open some car parks on the bypass (they did this the time the Dubs came a calling there a few years ago)

So quickly after mentioning the pints there was the word "throw" and I though the preposition was going to be "up"  rather than "in"'

Fear ón Srath Bán

He'll give us feck all SS, you'll be grand!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Thanks for that - was on Google Maps doing the street-view and it put the fear of God in me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Radda bout yeee

Thoughts on team?
Justy bound to start, will donnelly keep his place? will DH and BD still be on?

Might make a day of it and treat the woman to a day out   :-\  - how far is it to longford from cookstown? any good eating establishments on the rout home?

Jinxy

This is why Longford never win anything.
Ye are way too nice.
Do you think I'll be giving the Galway lads directions to Navan?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on July 04, 2011, 08:58:48 PM

This is why Longford never win anything.
Ye are way too nice.
Do you think I'll be giving the Galway lads directions to Navan?

It was very nice and very out of character for Meath to appoint Banty as manager.
It's nice to give other counties a chance.

Shamrock Shore

Jazes! I don't think giving the directions to the grounds is being nice!

I want them all there in good time to see us triumph!  ;)

Doohicky

Any Tyronies heading down from Belfast for the game?

I am sure to get lost on my own!  ;D

Billys Boots

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 04, 2011, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on July 04, 2011, 04:06:54 PM
QuoteLongford eh? Isn't that where Mick Collins' woman was from?

Aye, Granard in fact!

Who, Julia Roberts?

Kitty Kiernan.  You'd never get away with a gob like Julia Roberts in Granard!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fuzzman

Tyrone boss Harte looks for strength in reserves
By John Campbell on Tuesday, 5 July 2011n Belfast Telegraph

Tyrone manager Mickey Harte is poised to bring back three players to his side, all of whom missed out on starting places for the Ulster semi-final defeat to Donegal.

Justin McMahon, Aidan Cassidy and Martin Penrose are in line to return to the Red Hands squad for Saturday's second round All-Ireland qualifier tie away to Longford.

All three players were introduced as substitutes against Jim McGuinness's side and are now in line to start against a Longford team considerably heartened by their handsome victory over neighbours Cavan.

Joe McMahon, who had to leave the field with concussion against Donegal following a high challenge from Leo McLoone, has fully recovered and has since turned out for his club Omagh St Enda's since then.

Although he is expected to play against Longford, it is likely that his brother Justin will fill the full-back berth with Joe perhaps deployed at half-forward where the Red Hands struggled in the second half against Donegal.

Cassidy has been troubled by an ankle injury lately but should return to the side on Saturday. He could partner Kevin Hughes at midfield with Sean Cavanagh, a consistent source of scores for Tyrone this year no matter where he plays, perhaps moving up into the attack.

Penrose, who sparkled in the Ulster quarter-final win over Monaghan, played for the last 20 minutes against Donegal but looks certain to join Stephen O'Neill in the inside line.

However O'Neill is still trying to shake off a hamstring injury.

The fact that Penrose will bring his free-kicking skills to the table will be a further bonus as Peter Harte was off target with a couple of second-half efforts against Donegal — a dip in form Tyrone could ill afford.

Brian McGuigan, Owen Mulligan and Brian Dooher were all substituted against Donegal and since then there has been criticism that Tyrone's championship stalwarts do not quite possess their former levels of stamina.

Manager Harte has discounted this theory, suggesting that age has nothing to do with it.

But there is no doubt that his team will have to compete for the full 70 minutes against a Longford side that is big and strong and boasts one of the best finishers in the sport in Brian Kavanagh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have never been to a game in Longford so looking forward to it as it will be my first game this year.
I wonder will it be like the Louth game back on 2008 or more like the Laois game in 2006.

I can't see Harte giving in to the pressure to play some of the younger faces but maybe with Joey coming back he will see fit to replace Dooher with Joey. I don't think Hub is under pressure just yet from Cassidy though could he play Cassidy at 14?

Radda bout yeee

What about this for a team. Its what I would like to see:

1. Packie
2. Carlin/McCaul
3. Joey
4. Gormley
5. Ricey
6. Justy
7. Jordan
8. Cassidy
9. Sean Cav
10. Penrose