Longford v Tyrone - Qualifiers Round 2 - 9 July 2011

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 26, 2011, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Quote from: Cde on June 27, 2011, 08:18:22 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 27, 2011, 08:14:57 PM
Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 27, 2011, 06:33:04 PM
We don't like St. Patricks in our area. In Mostrim St Patricks = Ardagh.

St. Mel got on well with St. Patrick.

You're not getting off that handy. I was reading recently that one of Niall's children, Cairbre, was a fierce opponent of Patrick and his missionary work in the country. He lived in Granard. He tried to assassinate our patron saint and Paddy in return cursed him. The wicked humour they have in Longford (they did play Sheridan after all) meant that at the mound that marks Cairbre's palace in Granard is a statue of St Patrick. If Longford had their way we'd all be pagans and riding the neighbours' wives willy nilly.

So, having entered all that into the computer is says Longford 1-11 Tyrone 0-14.

now I'm really looking forward to a long weekend in Longford

So is yer neighbour
Don't Panic

loughshore lad

Quote from: barelegs on June 27, 2011, 05:26:40 PM
The problem Fuzzman is that this isn't an overnight thing. It's a long term downward trend that's constantly been put down to bad luck. Once you look at the facts it doesn't look so good.

We were relegated from division one of the league last year and failed to win promotion this year. We've been shown up in Croke Park in 2009 and 2010 and we're back in 2011 with pretty much the same team of players expecting big things.

We struggled to beat a poor Monaghan team who had 14 men for the entire second half and after flying out of the blocks yesterday our performance died completely.  Yes Joe McMahon got hurt but we'd an All Star full back replacing him not some duffer. And even if we'd won, that performance yesterday wouldn't exactly have left Cork, Dublin or Kerry trembling in fear of playing us.

People will talk about kicking the wides against Dublin last year or not taking our chances yesterday but its been a trend for this Tyrone team over a couple of seasons. Against most teams we'll have enough to edge by but it's been a while from we ruthlessly beaten a team. At this stage Tyrone's free taking has been so poor its nearly worth carrying a player just to kick the frees. It's got to be worth 3 or 4 points a game which they way we're going we can't afford to be giving away.

Our system and style of play works best with players that have speed and can get up and down the field. At the moment too many players on the team have lost a couple of yards of pace and its hurting us. (Watch any DVD from 2003 or 2005 and note the difference). You might be able to carry one or two who have lost a yard of pace but there are 5 or 6 that are missing it now. They're still good footballers they just can't do it the way they used to.

People expecting the under 21s to come in to inter county football and perform at the highest level straight away are deluded. We mightn't win anything this year but they're going to need to get the experience at some stage- might as well be now.

Great post there.

FairyWaterDuke

No. Do you honestly believe Mickey Harte and Tony Donnelly are going to keep players in the 15 who are too this or that. Yes the team isnt 2003 or 2005 nor should it be. Sometimes we forget how talented these players are - each one would be a star player in any other team. There is too muck criticism here much like  in 2004, 2006 and 2007. The same lines are being rolled out.

I look at this team and I see a group of players who are more hungrier and eager to prove their worth than their counterparts. I see a team that can win another All Ireland trophy and one which will eventually lose a few players and integrate younger guys when Mickey sees fit. If the likes of Peter Harte cannot step up then thats too bad - the best players that fit the system and opponents on the day should play. This group literally took our game to a new level which has now been matched by Cork in particular in terms of preparation. Get off their backs and support them on the next step in Longford. This team has learned from 2009 and 2010 and we are where we are. Its now up to Tyrone to make the best of their own situation. I'm sure they will.

seafoid

The Longford threads are so pleasant after 4 weeks following Mayo neurosis.

bennydorano

Tyrone's descent began when Cork gubbed them in the 2009 semi, the day Sean had the skitter.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Shamrock Shore

Shore will be in his usual big game spot directly behind the town goals on Sat week. This historically has been the 'scoring' goals.

Pearse Park will hold a good 12,000 but I'd expect no more than 6-8 k unless we get a few curious Cavans, Westmeaths and Rossies.

If we win it still couldn't eclipse last year's win over Mayo  ;)

ONeill

Was looking through Longford's results in Pearse Park and it's a bit of a fortress. Down, Derry, Mayo and even Kerry (NFL) have fallen.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

O'Neill - we shuda beaten Dubs in Leinster a few years back as well. That Kerry result stands out in my memory. Jack O'Connors first game. Then Trone visited and brought us back to reality.

ONeill

What's the recommended watering hole before the game? Was hoping to arrive around 5.

Shamrock Shore

Valentines in the middle of the town. 15/20 min walk 'Up the Battery' to Pearse Park.

ONeill

Thanks for that.

The teams from 2004:

TYRONE:
P McConnell,
R McMenamin, C McAnallen, C Gourley,
C Gormley, G Devlin, P Jordan,
K Hughes (1-0), S Cavanagh (1-0),
B Dooher, B McGuigan (0-2), S O'Neill (0-5),
C McCullough (0-1), O Mulligan (0-3,1f), M Harte (0-4,3f).
SUBS: E McGinley (1-0) for McCullough (26min), B Donnelly for McAnallen and S Sweeney for Devlin (65), B Cullins for Dooher (68).

LONGFORD:
D Sheridan,
S Carroll, A O'Connor, B Burke,
E Ledwith, D Hannify, S Lynch,
L Keenan (0-1), F Coyle,
T Smullen, D Blessington (0-2), P Barden (0-3,2f),
D Barden, N Sheridan, P Davis (0-3,1f).
SUBS: M Hussey for N Sheridan (28), M Mulleady for Lynch (29), M Lennon for P Barden (64), J Kenny for Burke (68).

Shamrock Shore

That translates into Tyrone 3-15 Longford 0-09.

Ouch.

Niall Sheridan (GGF as christened by, I think, Magpie Seanie) lasted 28 minutes I see. He must have got no change from the late Cormac. Longford would have a few survivors - namely Sheridan in goals and both Bardens 7 years later. Liam Keenan is now a selector having had to retire early cos of a bad leg problem.

Billys Boots

QuoteLiam Keenan is now a selector having had to retire early cos of a bad leg problem.

As is P. Davis.

QuoteDown, Derry, Mayo and even Kerry (NFL) have fallen.

Dear old Derry came to grief because of the cows in Ballymahon.   No wait, they also lost in Pearse Park.   :P

Quoteno disrespect to Longford but

My favourite five words from the opposition team talk.  ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

North Longford

Its interesting how many more players Tyrone will still have playing from 2004 compared to Longford. Is it 10 vs 3. Would think there are very few teams in the country would still have 10 of their starting 15 from 7 years ago playing?
And btw I'd be a lot more confident in Longfords current 15 than that one from 2004.