Longford v Tyrone - Qualifiers Round 2 - 9 July 2011

Started by Shamrock Shore, June 26, 2011, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

This is a big big call. Although Swift and O'Neill might be forced changes, if Tyrone limp out in a similar manner to the Dublin and Donegal games then it'll be hard to defend his logic here.

On the other hand, rack up 3-16 and it's 2 fingers to the doubters (although 'it's only Longford' is a comeback!!!)
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Indeed, a massive call, but a measure of the man nonetheless -- he shall not be deflected from those entrenched convictions, potential tsunami of criticism notwithstanding.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

randomtask

Although i didn't support whole sale changes in the team, i an very annoyed that a few changes haven't been made. Person i feel that davey harte is no longer county starting standard, i could name 5-10 men in the county both within the panel and outside who i believe are better than him, his inclusion cannot be justified in my mind. I also think that dooher should not be starting. Very surprised that justy isnt starting as he was very impressive in his last club game.

Fuzzman

If there's one thing we should have learnt over the past 7 years is Mickey is his own boss and he can dig his heels in and not be swayed easily. He knows all the talk is about ageing players but Mickey can be stubborn. Look how he got his club eventually set up.
I too am disappointed but I can't say I'm surprised. He stuck with the older lads all through the league so he must not feel the others have better to offer.
Although it's annoying I think he's earned the right to pick the team as HE sees fit and not us the fans.
I think we'll come through this game ok with a few to spare but again loads more work to do.

Redhand Santa

I honestly don't think thats the team and has been named for the programme. Hard to imagine O'Neill starting as if he's not right won't be risked. Would imagine there will be at least 2 more changes before throw in which will be put down to injury. Who's missing from the bench or was McCrory there the last day? Is Gourley back fit?

north down

Didn't expect too many changes to be honest - Mickey is obviously challenging the 15 that failed against Donegal to prove that they are better than that performance. Can't see Stephen O'Neill starting though not if he has to go through a late fitness test - I expect Martin Penrose to start and for him to take over free-taking duty from young Harte. Personally I think Peter Harte's general game against Donegal was quite good - he was just let down a bit with his free taking - but any free-taker can have a bad day.

Redhand Santa

I've full faith in Harte. If some people had their way half the team would be replaced with inferior players simply cause they're younger. Harte has a responsibility to put his best 15 out. Forget this crap of breeding for the future - it will never come thinking like that. Success breeds success. It's time for the team to come out fighting. If they're good enough they will win a game for the next 4 weekends and head to Croke for the semi's in great shape.

north down

Totally agree with Redhand Santa - no need for kneejerk reactions - you just can't simply make wholesale changes and expect the team to be able to compete. Changes may be needed but they need to be gradual, and I'm sure Mickey will know when the time is right.

tyroneman

erm.........has no-one else noticed that Mulligan has been dropped for Penrose?

north down

Absolutely right Tyroneman - I think the confusion was caused by the BBC website which originallly said that Mickey had made no changes from the team that started against Donegal - the report has since been amended.

north down

I should have added that I fully expect Mulligan to start in place of O'Neill.

omagh_gael

I too can't see SoN starting, I think at this stage if he is def not 100% then himself and Mickey won't risk it. Can see Mugsy starting and have a feeling he'll score 1-5!

As mentioned earlier I think it would be a good idea to bring S Cavanagh closer to goals, teams have Cottoned on to the tactic of hauling him down at all costs before he opens up. At least we'll be more likely to convert frees if he is closer to goal (even this isn't a given at the minute!)

I really hope Mickey's complete faith in this team is rewarded on Saturday as he will have a lot of tough questions to answer if things go wrong. Let's summon the spirit of 2008 when the obituaries were ready to be rubber stamped and the red hands took us all the way to the third Sunday in September.

C'mon Tyrone,
You're on yer own,
We're going to bring the Sam Maguire home!

ONeill

Quote from: tyroneman on July 07, 2011, 10:48:11 PM
erm.........has no-one else noticed that Mulligan has been dropped for Penrose?

Dropped is a bit harsh. Mickey has named the same team he named for Donegal. Penrose was just unable to start.

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Shamrock Shore

We don't seem to be naming our team until Sunday!

Radda bout yeee

VERY STRANGE! Considering not going now - think it was obvious that a couple of changes would have been good at this stage. I wonder if the whole discussion in the county had of been 'he should keep the same team' would he have then made a few changes. Think he's stubborn to prove a point - All I hope is that it works!