Sligo GAA - What's gone wrong?

Started by Thewhataboutery, June 26, 2011, 10:07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

No midfield, end of story.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

magpie seanie

We have had the talent at times to win things at underage but we've continually messed it up ourselves. I'm not content with just being competitive, that wasn't my pont.

Injuries being trotted out as an excuse is not good enough. Good and all as David Kelly is the problems in the team are not in the FF line. Marren scored 0-9 yesterday which David Kelly has never done. A lad from my club had one bad game and was completely frozen out afterwards and is now in the US. There are other lads on that team that constantly play badly and are not dropped, or even substituted. After the Leitrim performance which was a disgrace 3 changes were made, all enforced - two lads were suspended and another left the country.

Intersting to see that the Wicklow lad who scored the goal is a minor who has just completed his leaving cert. If he was in Sligo he wouldn't have kicked a ball in anger in the last 3 months (can't believe no-one reacted to me saying ths elsewhere, ye probably don't believe it) but he was obviously ready for action.

The ordinary GAA folk of Sligo deserve better but are also to blame. In our eagerness for success we let county team managers and others dictate what they want and need and give them carte blanche even if the requests are ridiculous. We need to get back to basics. The coaching structures in Sligo are actually not that bad but club football at all levels has just been about getting the games played with the resultant drop in interest and standard (from a lowish start point if I'm honest). Also, the appointment of county team managers needs to be looked at more closely. Only appointing a minor manager in February or late January as we did this year is a joke.

laoislad

Quote from: Thewhataboutery on June 26, 2011, 05:57:43 PM
Quote from: laoislad on June 26, 2011, 05:43:47 PM
Sure at least ye still have Sligo Rovers.

:D :D :D Magpie Seany should go into meltdown when he sees that, although they do seem to have more success that the Gaelic football team.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Sligo are the most inconsistent team in Ireland, i wouldn't be surprised if they win Connacht next year or knock a big team out of the Championship & next year all the pressure/hype will be off so that's a plus.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Whats the point posting on here regarding Sligo, sure everyone else knows more, since when was a 8pt defeat a 4pt defeat and since when does a dub know more about Sligo than us who go to games.

Rossmatts consistently posts about these messiahs in Sligo that he knows, so lets not fear theyll lift us up again to heights of 1 connacht title every 30+ yrs..

I hate to break this you whataboutyero, but Tommy breheny will be Sligo minor manager in 2012, hope thats ok with you, might want to check your maths aswell. Walsh will either resign or be sacked, sorry again if this a problem for you 1 win in 14 isnt good enough and with Denis jonston leading Sligo u21s to a 1-14 to 0-1 deficit at HT against Galway he'll unlikely look to go again or be asked.

The clearest thing to me this yr is the type of players were breeding in Sligo, the atitude and skills are very poor. Stopping the players playing competively in the last 3months is criminal, it was such an obvious mistake that how it was allowed to happen sickens me. Most of us knew at the time. Late appointments were criminal too but i expect that mistake wont happen again in future. Even the standard of manager selection has been poor, too many mistakes in tactics, team selection, training and organisation all come into serious question in the past few yrs.

We need a few thinking heads together to map out all the problems and list the solutions and map out a road to success.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

:D :D :D Magpie Seany should go into meltdown when he sees that, although they do seem to have more success that the Gaelic football team.

Thanks for the reminder. Was chatting to one of our full time coaches at the minor match last night who does loads of great work throughout the county. He was telling me that the U-16 panel has good potential but unfortunately we have lost 3 of them as Sligo Rovers have signed them up on some U-19 contract which bans them playing any other sport (this is their usual modus operandi). If the GAA tried to stop lads playing other sports Liveline and the Sindo would, to borrow your phrase, go into meltdown.

Keep having your pathtic digs if you like though. It only shows yourself up to be honest.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on June 26, 2011, 10:12:36 PM

Thanks for the reminder. Was chatting to one of our full time coaches at the minor match last night who does loads of great work throughout the county. He was telling me that the U-16 panel has good potential but unfortunately we have lost 3 of them as Sligo Rovers have signed them up on some U-19 contract which bans them playing any other sport (this is their usual modus operandi). If the GAA tried to stop lads playing other sports Liveline and the Sindo would, to borrow your phrase, go into meltdown.

Keep having your pathtic digs if you like though. It only shows yourself up to be honest.
Thats more than disappointing to hear seanie, its sad that another so called gaaman would go to the trouble of posting a picture aswell to revel in this fact just for a cheap shot on another poster.

ross matt

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 26, 2011, 10:01:58 PM
Whats the point posting on here regarding Sligo, sure everyone else knows more, since when was a 8pt defeat a 4pt defeat and since when does a dub know more about Sligo than us who go to games.

Rossmatts consistently posts about these messiahs in Sligo that he knows, so lets not fear theyll lift us up again to heights of 1 connacht title every 30+ yrs..

I hate to break this you whataboutyero, but Tommy breheny will be Sligo minor manager in 2012, hope thats ok with you, might want to check your maths aswell. Walsh will either resign or be sacked, sorry again if this a problem for you 1 win in 14 isnt good enough and with Denis jonston leading Sligo u21s to a 1-14 to 0-1 deficit at HT against Galway he'll unlikely look to go again or be asked.

The clearest thing to me this yr is the type of players were breeding in Sligo, the atitude and skills are very poor. Stopping the players playing competively in the last 3months is criminal, it was such an obvious mistake that how it was allowed to happen sickens me. Most of us knew at the time. Late appointments were criminal too but i expect that mistake wont happen again in future. Even the standard of manager selection has been poor, too many mistakes in tactics, team selection, training and organisation all come into serious question in the past few yrs.

We need a few thinking heads together to map out all the problems and list the solutions and map out a road to success.

For once am not fighting with you and would never kick a county when they're down. I dont know any messiahs up there. Just some good football people. You cant take offence to others posting on this thread when you yourself have posted on Rossie/mayo/Galway ones. I like Sligo as a team and thinkt they play great football and punch well above their weight quite often. You disagree and I accept you know more about the sitaution internally than I do. No offence intended or gloating here.

Re Seanie's experience with soccer... I've seen that happen elsewhere and I fully agree if the GAA did the same the media would have a field day.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross matt on June 26, 2011, 11:13:35 PM

For once am not fighting with you and would never kick a county when they're down. I dont know any messiahs up there. Just some good football people. You cant take offence to others posting on this thread when you yourself have posted on Rossie/mayo/Galway ones. I like Sligo as a team and thinkt they play great football and punch well above their weight quite often. You disagree and I accept you know more about the sitaution internally than I do. No offence intended or gloating here.

Re Seanie's experience with soccer... I've seen that happen elsewhere and I fully agree if the GAA did the same the media would have a field day.
Ya im not having a go either. I just dont want to see any of the Sligo lads being challenged on our points by people unfamiliar with our county scene. Were on the inside to varying degrees and trust me its totally different looking from the outside. I dont remember going into a roscommon thread and saying john maughan is a good manager when he had ye in a heap is my point but i know its not in badness.

I honestly think weve never maximised our potential in our history of my support, so i think weve never punched above our own weight, i dont believe in that at all. I dont believe in the excuses either, injuries, soccer etc....imho we need to deal with what we have and breed footballers who want to play, who would die for the jersey. Put there body on the lines. If i ever got a Sligo team the first thing i would do is test there mentality and i would test it to there limit. If the talented players werent up to it two words, fck off. Im sick of seeing players not give 100%. Also we hide behind all our disadvantages like population but to me its an advantage, well you can only put 15 on the field and with smaller picks you can be more familiar and get more development of smaller groups. Worst thing is though were repeating past mistakes so really we can have little sympathy for ourselves.

ross matt

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 26, 2011, 11:33:22 PM

Ya im not having a go either. I just dont want to see any of the Sligo lads being challenged on our points by people unfamiliar with our county scene. Were on the inside to varying degrees and trust me its totally different looking from the outside. I dont remember going into a roscommon thread and saying john maughan is a good manager when he had ye in a heap is my point but i know its not in badness.

I honestly think weve never maximised our potential in our history of my support, so i think weve never punched above our own weight, i dont believe in that at all. I dont believe in the excuses either, injuries, soccer etc....imho we need to deal with what we have and breed footballers who want to play, who would die for the jersey. Put there body on the lines. If i ever got a Sligo team the first thing i would do is test there mentality and i would test it to there limit. If the talented players werent up to it two words, fck off. Im sick of seeing players not give 100%. Also we hide behind all our disadvantages like population but to me its an advantage, well you can only put 15 on the field and with smaller picks you can be more familiar and get more development of smaller groups. Worst thing is though were repeating past mistakes so really we can have little sympathy for ourselves.

Point taken. Good comparison.

muppet

25 posts and only registered last year, but you know Seanie that well. Are you a born-again Dublin poster?
MWWSI 2017

Galwaybhoy

Sligo Rovers signed them to a contract and pay them money.  They are well within their rights to do that.  They are a small club with very little finance, they can't afford or take the risk and allow them play other sports.  This is not a shot at Sligo GAA as it is a shame to lose young players that have potential.  But you can not blame the players or Sligo Rovers for this decision.

laoislad

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on June 27, 2011, 12:26:31 AM

Sligo Rovers signed them to a contract and pay them money.  They are well within their rights to do that.  They are a small club with very little finance, they can't afford or take the risk and allow them play other sports.  This is not a shot at Sligo GAA as it is a shame to lose young players that have potential.  But you can not blame the players or Sligo Rovers for this decision.

Was thinking the same thing myself.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

I think Sligo need to change the jersey back to white. The switch worked a few years back, maybe another change will work.

About the lads playing soccer with Sligo Rovers, while its always disappointing to lose young talent, its always going to happen - be it soccer, drink, girls, rugby, hurling, etc etc rarely is it the case that a development squad will have its full quota. Rovers obviously see potential in these lads and are tying them up.

As for GAA not doing it, I know of young lads not been "allowed" play hurling FFS never mind fella's attempting to play soccer.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Bingo on June 27, 2011, 12:55:17 PM
I think Sligo need to change the jersey back to white. The switch worked a few years back, maybe another change will work.
About the lads playing soccer with Sligo Rovers, while its always disappointing to lose young talent, its always going to happen - be it soccer, drink, girls, rugby, hurling, etc etc rarely is it the case that a development squad will have its full quota. Rovers obviously see potential in these lads and are tying them up.

As for GAA not doing it, I know of young lads not been "allowed" play hurling FFS never mind fella's attempting to play soccer.

Another mature comment.

And like many before you completely missing my point on Sligo Rovers.