Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ross matt

Quote from: Tubberman on July 13, 2011, 12:15:50 PM
Quote from: ross matt on July 13, 2011, 11:59:58 AM
Yeah Tubberman. Listeners (and colleagues) laughing at him rather than with him though.

I'm referring to Conor yeah. I thought he was definitely togging. He played club last week did he not?
Surely able to come on if needed and hit frees?
Genuinely beleive this match will be that tight that something as basic as this could be the difference although like I said before McGarrity on form would definitely swing midfield Mayo's way against any opposition.

Well if you place any trust in what managers say these days, Horan has more or less ruled him out for now:
"Conor has made great progress and it was good to see him coming on against Claremorris but he knows himself that he has a bit to go yet. He needs to be playing consistently at club level before he can expect to make the step-up to inter-county fare after an injury like that," Horan told The Western People newspaper.

I think he's right too - Conor only came on as a sub in the club game, he's not near fit enough for a Connacht Final I'd say.
McGarrity will be playing at some stage, but most people expect him to be held in reserve and brought on.
Seamie O'Shea will work himself into the ground and will probably need to be replaced, so McG could come on then, or earlier if we're being cleaned.

On Brady, he was definitely trying too hard on TV3 at the start, and he ended up looking a bit of an eejit - people were definitely laughing at him rather than with him then. But he's a bit more comfortable now (on Newstalk anyway, is he still on TV3?), and doesn't take himself too seriously - you will probably say that's because nobody else does either  :D

Newstalk is where I hear him Tubberman. He is GAA equivalent to Roddy Collins who seems to be their FAI correspondent.
Yeah you're right Horan seems to be writing Conor off for this one unless he's spoofing but I guess half an hour of club football is'nt enough prep for an intercounty provincial final in fairness.
If Mcgarrity is fit he will come on early enough I think. Finneran has improved out of all recognition these last 2 seasons but Karol Mannion (whilst a big man and skillful footballer) is not a natural midfielder. Mayo could win midfield and this might be enough to swing the result unless Cregg and Keenan can win alot of the breaking ball.

stephenite

Quote from: ross matt on July 13, 2011, 11:42:53 AM
not to mention current sports journalist of the year David Brady repeatedly punching an 18 year old seamie o'neill in the head.

Poor auld Seamie, only out of nappies so he couldn't have deserved it - if he kept his mouth shut and his fists away from Brady's ribs that day he might have been left alone

muppet

Serious question: Can anyone tell me where, in the past, was a Provincial Final hi-jacked by a local interest non-Gaa protest?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

QuoteSerious question: Can anyone tell me where, in the past, was a Provincial Final hi-jacked by a local interest non-Gaa protest?

H-Block type stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ildanach

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2011/0713/roscommon.html

QuoteRoscommon manager Fergal O'Donnell has kept faith with the same starting 15 who defeated Leitrim for Sunday's Connacht SFC final against Mayo.

Cathal Cregg meanwhile is determined to prove that Roscommon are worthy Connacht champions by reclaiming the title this year, while he also wants to avenge the heavy defeat of June of 2009.

He said: 'You'd still hear a lot of people saying that we got the easy route to the final last year and that Sligo took their eye off the ball.

'Sligo brought us back to level, we went ahead and they brought us level again and we still kicked on and won that game.

And as for the 20-point drubbing in 2009: 'I was just a sub that day but it was pretty humiliating and it'd be great to put that right this weekend.

'To beat one of the Big Two in this Connacht final would definitely be massive, and especially to retain back-to-back titles.'

Roscommon XV v Mayo in the Connacth SFC final at Dr Hyde Park, Sunday, 2pm:

1 Geoffrey Claffey, 2 Seán McDermott, 3 Niall Carty, 4 Stephen Ormsby, 5 David Keenan, 6 Peter Domican (Capt.), 7 Donal Ward, 8 Michael Finneran, 9 Karol Mannion, 10 Senan O'Grady, 11 Kevin Higgins, 12 Cathal Cregg, 13 Conor Devaney, 14 Senan Kilbride, 15 Donal Shine.

Its good he knows his place in the food chain of connacht football ;)
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

westmayo

Mayo team for Sunday,

)  Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
2)  Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
3)  Alan Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
4)  Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
5)  Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
6)  Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
7)  Trevor Mortimer - Shrule-Glencorrib
8)  Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
9)  Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
11) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber (Captain)
12) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
13) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
14) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
15) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole

16) David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
17) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
18) Dermot Geraghty - Shrule-Glencorrib
19) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
20) Lee Keegan - Westport
21) James Kilcullen - Ballaghaderreen
22) Ronan McGarrity - Ballina Stephenites
23) Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
24) Aidan Campbell - Swinford
25) Enda Varley - Garrymore
26) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule-Glencorrib

Ryano

Quote from: stephenite on July 13, 2011, 01:14:24 PM
Poor auld Seamie, only out of nappies so he couldn't have deserved it - if he kept his mouth shut and his fists away from Brady's ribs that day he might have been left alone

Come off it! You are trying to infer a green 18 year kid in his first season was punching David Brady!!! And thus deserved the off the ball box he got in the face? Thats your justification? Bollox, O'Neill had been playing really well up to that and Brady had to do something to quieten him. It had feck all to do with Brady's ribs or hurt feelings.

Brady had a well earned reputation (and I mean that in a good way) as a teak tough physical player. I remember him coming on against Dublin and putting manners on Ciaran Whelan who had been lording it up to that in the middle in the AI semi final I think? He did not achieve that by simply out playing him or whispering in his lug. 

Tubberman

Quote from: Ryano on July 13, 2011, 02:14:21 PM

Come off it! You are trying to infer a green 18 year kid in his first season was punching David Brady!!! And thus deserved the off the ball box he got in the face? Thats your justification? Bollox, O'Neill had been playing really well up to that and Brady had to do something to quieten him. It had feck all to do with Brady's ribs or hurt feelings.

Brady had a well earned reputation (and I mean that in a good way) as a teak tough physical player. I remember him coming on against Dublin and putting manners on Ciaran Whelan who had been lording it up to that in the middle in the AI semi final I think? He did not achieve that by simply out playing him or whispering in his lug.

He put Whelan on his arse that day alright, and it was well deserved. Whelan had nearly taken the head off McGarrity in a dangerous and cowardly 'tackle'.
Anyway, same teams named by both Ros and Mayo. Will have to start looking at the match-ups now  :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ross matt

Quote from: ross matt on July 13, 2011, 11:42:53 AM
not to mention current sports journalist of the year David Brady repeatedly punching an 18 year old seamie o'neill in the head.

And true to form here comes David Brady's no 1 fan!!!!!!!!!!

RedandGreenSniper

Brady was never an angel but to portray Seamus O'Neill as a shy, callow eighteen-year-old is a laughable spin on things. Both of them lived by the sword.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: Tubberman on July 13, 2011, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: ross4life on July 12, 2011, 11:23:36 PM
Cost ye the game good god almighty! Wrong man was sent off as it was Peter Burke that threw the punch. Noel Connelly is a first man in the Mayo media to tip Roscommon, all the others went for a easy Mayo win.

our own Willie Hegarty tipped Mayo.

I didn't think ye were soft enough to consider this a punch in Ros??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y86U8s-95Ik&feature=player_detailpage#t=297s

Any punch thrown regardless of how hard or in Burke's case weak is a sending off & i'm sure when Keith Higgins lines up in match parade he'll be thinking to himself "how the fcuk did i escape a red v Galway"

As for the "unchanged teams" Horan has never picked the same team so i expect 1 or 2 changes before throw in & we have 2 or 3 doubts so i expect a few changes as well.

This game came to soon for David O'Gara which is a bad blow for us.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

AZOffaly

Quotei'm sure when Keith Higgins lines up in match parade he'll be thinking to himself "how the fcuk did i escape a red v Galway"

I'm sure he won't.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on July 13, 2011, 03:09:12 PM

Any punch thrown regardless of how hard or in Burke's case weak is a sending off

You clearly haven't been at many GAA matches or have paid little attention if you were at them. Most players don't get sent off for soft punches or any punch to the body. A serious box to the face is another matter. Not saying this is right or wrong but that's how most GAA refs play it.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross4life

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on July 13, 2011, 03:15:58 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 13, 2011, 03:09:12 PM

Any punch thrown regardless of how hard or in Burke's case weak is a sending off

You clearly haven't been at many GAA matches or have paid little attention if you were at them. Most players don't get sent off for soft punches or any punch to the body. A serious box to the face is another matter. Not saying this is right or wrong but that's how most GAA refs play it.
All depends if the ref sees it & in 2001 he saw a punch thrown but sent off the wrong man, yes it was a weak shot & Frankie went down like a tons of bricks however rules are rules at the end of the day.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 13, 2011, 03:11:22 PM
Quotei'm sure when Keith Higgins lines up in match parade he'll be thinking to himself "how the fcuk did i escape a red v Galway"

I'm sure he won't.
In hindsight your probably right he'll have a clear conscience.