Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ross matt on June 26, 2011, 07:49:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 25, 2011, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 24, 2011, 08:40:49 PM
Yeah I too cant believe how cocky Mayo are this week. Today especially.

So you think we are cocky on this board, do you?You might go pay a visit to hoganstand then if you want to know what the Mayo heads over there have to say about the game. It was a case of firsts all the way when I checked the Mayo forum today.
It was my first time to do this and this is what I found in the first post in the first topic I clicked on:

"Mayo will bring the shooting boots for this game but ya can't score unless ya don't have the ball."

How's that for a spot of insightful analysis? ;D
A Íosa Críost na bhFlaitheas! Here was me in me innocence, thinking our bucks found it hard enough to score when they had the ball and this genius figures we'll be better off without a ball at all.
That was bad enough but not one of the twenty or so who followed him picked up on it. Maybe they know something over there that we don't.

No Lar. I was being sarcastic. Never heard such beal bocht from ye in all my life. However that'll all cease now with the chance to rub the Rossie noses in it again in the Hyde.  ;)
Arrah, sure I knew you were. (Maybe I do an odd biteen of winding up from time to time.)
I just wanted you to see what a true Mayo fan in full flight can come up with. ;D
Going by what I read on my first visit to hogandstand's Mayo forum, I'd venture that those of us who post here are the essence of objective analysis and insightful observation.
(Memo to myself: Ah, ffs Lar, shut up!)
Beal bocht-ery  is alive and well in Ireland and will continue to be as long as there is a microphone stuck in front of a bainisteoir's gob in the lead-in to any game.  Have you ever heard a manager yet who doesn't play down his own side's chances or build up the opposition's for all it's worth?
Do you think Fergie will come out before the CF and tell the world that Roscommon will knock the stuffing outa Mayo?  James H is equally unlikely to say in public what he may be privately thinking. It's an established and venerable game of cat and mousery –an enhancement of beal bochtery. (Howzat??)

Fans inevitably follow their manager's led and in this instance Mayo is no different to any other county. There are over 60 regular Mayo posters here and it's reasonable to expect a wide divergence of opinion where postings are concerned but I'd say most of the pessimistic predictions were genuine concerns.
How could it be otherwise?
Mayo hadn't come up with a positive championship display in years and, given the vagaries of the championship fixtures, Galway were playing their first game and so their form couldn't be assessed. 
That game could have gone either way. If Galway had the wit to feed Pee Joyce or if Keith Higgins had been sent off, the result could well have been very different. Long-suffering Mayo fans know full well that you can't take your eye of them Galway hoors until the final whistle has blown.
Mayo fans had more cause to feel apprehensive about game than they had to be cocky about anything.  Some may indeed have been but with the number of Mayo posters on here it would be unreasonable to think otherwise.
But one aspect of your post puzzles me and I'm not being confrontational here:
I had responded to a post where you said:
Here you say:
Never heard such beal bocht from ye in all my life.
Like any good Mayo fan I seldom let logic get in my way where football is concerned but I'm stumped on this one. How can we be both at the same time?
Maybe you would enlighten me?
Regarding your last observation:
However that'll all cease now with the chance to rub the Rossie noses in it again in the Hyde.
Hah?
Why should you think this way? Your side are the defending Connacht champions and I'm damn sure they feel they have a point to prove—in the last two seasons Roscommon have not met or beat Mayo or Galway.
Mayo will look on this game as a tough challenge against an improving side that are roughly at the same stage of development as themselves.  The needle you find in Mayo v Galway encounters won't be there. The Hyde will hold no significance for present-day Mayo players; why should it?
Right now, I wouldn't bet a bob on the outcome and I don't think any sensible Mayo fan will do so either. I'll wait until the last possible minute before I'll make a stab at a prediction as injuries on either side could be a big factor on the day.
I'll be quite surprised if most Mayo fans don't think the same way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

kevmy

I don't any Ross fan looking at the game y'day can say Mayo fans were overdoing the beal bocht. First half was atrocious but we improved and deserved to win. If we continue the improvement and the team beds in we're most certainly in with a shot on CF day.

As for this Div 1 v Div 4 thing, it can be slightly misleading. The Rossies are coming out of a bad few years as last years Connacht Champ win and this years promotion prove. Where there actual level is now is open for debate but personally on form I'd have them as a Div 2 team at least. In other words not much between the two teams and the Hyde isn't exactly a happy hunting ground for Mayo.

I reckon this is a 50-50 game, there is definitely room for improvement in Mayo but confidence is fragile. If the improvement comes and we knock over a couple of these frees we've been missing stupidly early on then I'd be fairly confident. If we stagnate or miss the chances like we did against London, that confidence could drain away fairly quickly.

Also our defence is still relatively untested at this level so it isn't known if the likes of Donie Vaughan and Alan Feeney can handle Shine, Kilbride and co.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross matt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 27, 2011, 03:17:12 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 26, 2011, 07:49:42 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 25, 2011, 11:56:21 PM
Quote from: ross matt on June 24, 2011, 08:40:49 PM

So you think we are cocky on this board, do you?You might go pay a visit to hoganstand then if you want to know what the Mayo heads over there have to say about the game. It was a case of firsts all the way when I checked the Mayo forum today.
It was my first time to do this and this is what I found in the first post in the first topic I clicked on:

"Mayo will bring the shooting boots for this game but ya can't score unless ya don't have the ball."

How's that for a spot of insightful analysis? ;D
A Íosa Críost na bhFlaitheas! Here was me in me innocence, thinking our bucks found it hard enough to score when they had the ball and this genius figures we'll be better off without a ball at all.
That was bad enough but not one of the twenty or so who followed him picked up on it. Maybe they know something over there that we don't.

No Lar. I was being sarcastic. Never heard such beal bocht from ye in all my life. However that'll all cease now with the chance to rub the Rossie noses in it again in the Hyde.  ;)
Arrah, sure I knew you were. (Maybe I do an odd biteen of winding up from time to time.)
I just wanted you to see what a true Mayo fan in full flight can come up with. ;D
Going by what I read on my first visit to hogandstand's Mayo forum, I'd venture that those of us who post here are the essence of objective analysis and insightful observation.
(Memo to myself: Ah, ffs Lar, shut up!)
Beal bocht-ery  is alive and well in Ireland and will continue to be as long as there is a microphone stuck in front of a bainisteoir's gob in the lead-in to any game.  Have you ever heard a manager yet who doesn't play down his own side's chances or build up the opposition's for all it's worth?
Do you think Fergie will come out before the CF and tell the world that Roscommon will knock the stuffing outa Mayo?  James H is equally unlikely to say in public what he may be privately thinking. It's an established and venerable game of cat and mousery –an enhancement of beal bochtery. (Howzat??)

Fans inevitably follow their manager's led and in this instance Mayo is no different to any other county. There are over 60 regular Mayo posters here and it's reasonable to expect a wide divergence of opinion where postings are concerned but I'd say most of the pessimistic predictions were genuine concerns.
How could it be otherwise?
Mayo hadn't come up with a positive championship display in years and, given the vagaries of the championship fixtures, Galway were playing their first game and so their form couldn't be assessed. 
That game could have gone either way. If Galway had the wit to feed Pee Joyce or if Keith Higgins had been sent off, the result could well have been very different. Long-suffering Mayo fans know full well that you can't take your eye of them Galway hoors until the final whistle has blown.
Mayo fans had more cause to feel apprehensive about game than they had to be cocky about anything.  Some may indeed have been but with the number of Mayo posters on here it would be unreasonable to think otherwise.
But one aspect of your post puzzles me and I'm not being confrontational here:
I had responded to a post where you said:
[i]Yeah I too cant believe how cocky Mayo are this week. Today especially.[/i]
Here you say:
Never heard such beal bocht from ye in all my life.
Like any good Mayo fan I seldom let logic get in my way where football is concerned but I'm stumped on this one. How can we be both at the same time?
Maybe you would enlighten me?

Regarding your last observation:
However that'll all cease now with the chance to rub the Rossie noses in it again in the Hyde.
Hah?
Why should you think this way? Your side are the defending Connacht champions and I'm damn sure they feel they have a point to prove—in the last two seasons Roscommon have not met or beat Mayo or Galway.
Mayo will look on this game as a tough challenge against an improving side that are roughly at the same stage of development as themselves.  The needle you find in Mayo v Galway encounters won't be there. The Hyde will hold no significance for present-day Mayo players; why should it?
Right now, I wouldn't bet a bob on the outcome and I don't think any sensible Mayo fan will do so either. I'll wait until the last possible minute before I'll make a stab at a prediction as injuries on either side could be a big factor on the day.
I'll be quite surprised if most Mayo fans don't think the same way.

Hi Lar. Twas like I said I was being sarcastic when I referred to ye'er cockiness and being genuine re the beal bocht. Mayo seemed very despondent leading up to the match. I'm a bit like yourself re leaving it to the last minute to predict the result of the final. Injuries etc in the lead up can be a factor. I do think Ross can win it but Mayo won ugly yesterday and in days gone by that was a match they could have thrown away. I genuinely do feel Horan has brought mental toughness to them and that they're improving with every match.

mjg

Ye have taken yere revenge many times what we need now is for ye to show us some mercy

ross4life

Quote from: mjg on June 27, 2011, 03:49:05 PM
Ye have taken yere revenge many times what we need now is for ye to show us some mercy

100% true, have to laugh when Mayo fans say they are seeking revenge.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross4life

Quote from: Barney on June 27, 2011, 08:32:26 AM
The Mayo/Ros rivalry has really been revived at underage level the last few years. Anybody who has been to any of the under 21 games between the two counties will realise that there is nothing between them, and that the games are often exciting with good flowing football and go to the death.

If it's anything like the game in Charlestown in 2009 I think the whole country will enjoy it - probably the greatest game of football played in Connacht in the last 10 years:

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6191&Itemid=39

Jaysus barney could you not at least have posted one of our wins instead of one of Roscommon's biggest under aged heartbreaks  :(
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossie11

QuoteRoscommon deserve to be favourites with the game being in the Hyde swinging it for them

Current odds to lift the Nestor Cup with betfair
Mayo 1/2  Ross 6/4

Mayo are worthy hot favourites. They were 20pts the better team 2 years ago.
Ross might have closed the gap but its still huge.

Blowitupref

Whoever loses this game & the Ulster final will have to play a round 4 game six days later while the losers in the Munster final have a two week break to prepare.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

mjg

I see on another forum  mayo lads talking about cork or kerry in the a1 semi now thats where ye should be looking for revwenge :-X

Rossie11

QuoteWhoever loses this game & the Ulster final will have to play a round 4 game six days later while the losers in the Munster final have a two week break to prepare.
I know its crazy.
Galway Mayo should have been on last week when there was only 1 other football game on.

Who ever loses will more than likely suffer same fate as Sligo last year

ross4life

Quote from: Rossie11 on June 27, 2011, 05:22:58 PM
QuoteWhoever loses this game & the Ulster final will have to play a round 4 game six days later while the losers in the Munster final have a two week break to prepare.
I know its crazy.
Galway Mayo should have been on last week when there was only 1 other football game on.

Who ever loses will more than likely suffer same fate as Sligo last year
Agreed can't see the loser picking themselves up for a game 6 days later v someone like Kildare,Down or Armagh. Apparently the Connacht final will be on first next year.

rosnarun

why is it when longfor hockey the sheepsteelers no one bats an eylid but whe they beat mayo its a gign of the end of the world yet mayo people are seriously debating a roscommon connaught final win.
some one is having some one on here.
After all in the last 2 years roscommon have been in division 4 and managed to beat sligo and leitrim in the championship
who's fooling who?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ross4life

TBH Galway were so bad yesterday we wouldn't have found out anything about ourselves (if we played them in the final) but now v Mayo win lose or draw we'll know how far we have come in 2yrs.

10 years since we beat Mayo in Championship football! thats alot of cows milked in that time & if we win their won't be a cow milked in Roscommon for weeks after.

commonman

QuoteIt'd be nice to get revenge for 01

2002, 2004, 2005, 2009.......

Exactly how much revenge does a man need?