Why won't NI Catholics/Nationalists vote Alliance?

Started by Evil Genius, June 21, 2011, 05:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: gallsman on March 20, 2014, 04:40:29 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on March 20, 2014, 04:33:27 PM
Quote from: stew on March 20, 2014, 04:28:26 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 21, 2011, 07:10:36 PM
It's a fair question so I don't know why some of Ye are attacking eg on it. Maybe, nationalists  being a minority want 1 very strong party and hence don't want to dilute the power of the green "lobby" by voting for a relatively neutral party when it comes to the national question.

You are eg's bitch and a bit of a Lundy if you are to be believed!

The alliance party is a collective of well meaning people who are afraid of making their agenda known for fear of alienating one another' they stand for nothing and they get nothing in return, in fairness wully gets. As as much. Support as thdy do when they run in his constituency.

Why you responding to a post 3 years later?

Because he's an eejit who does it all too regularly.

An eejit and a nutter. The meds have worn off again.

michaelg

Quote from: qubdub on March 20, 2014, 08:40:13 PM
Unionists are idiots, their reaction is pleasing however. They genuinely feel threatened by the AP.
All Unionists are idiots?  How is their reaction pleasing?  Surely moderate, non DUP voting Unionists who may support the AP should be encouraged to continue to do so.  Anna Lo advocating a UI is not going to to make moderate Unionists voters (Like me) come out and vote for the AP in East Belfast.  I have not voted since the Good Friday referendum and was contemplating voting the AP in the upcoming elections.  Now I may again choose not to bother my arse voting.

armaghniac

Quote from: michaelg on March 20, 2014, 11:55:59 PM
Unionists are idiots, their reaction is pleasing however. They genuinely feel threatened by the AP.
All Unionists are idiots?  How is their reaction pleasing?  Surely moderate, non DUP voting Unionists who may support the AP should be encouraged to continue to do so.  Anna Lo advocating a UI is not going to to make moderate Unionists voters (Like me) come out and vote for the AP in East Belfast.  I have not voted since the Good Friday referendum and was contemplating voting the AP in the upcoming elections.

So it is OK for nationalists to be expected to vote for unionist Alliance figures, but not Unionists. Typical.

QuoteNow I may again choose not to bother my arse voting.

That'll help.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

michaelg

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2014, 12:04:02 AM
All Unionists are idiots?  How is their reaction pleasing?  Surely moderate, non DUP voting Unionists who may support the AP should be encouraged to continue to do so.  Anna Lo advocating a UI is not going to to make moderate Unionists voters (Like me) come out and vote for the AP in East Belfast.  I have not voted since the Good Friday referendum and was contemplating voting the AP in the upcoming elections.

So it is OK for nationalists to be expected to vote for unionist Alliance figures, but not Unionists. Typical.

QuoteNow I may again choose not to bother my arse voting.

That'll help.
Is the AP not meant to be broadly unionist in its outlook?

johnneycool

All Unionists are idiots?  How is their reaction pleasing?  Surely moderate, non DUP voting Unionists who may support the AP should be encouraged to continue to do so.  Anna Lo advocating a UI is not going to to make moderate Unionists voters (Like me) come out and vote for the AP in East Belfast.  I have not voted since the Good Friday referendum and was contemplating voting the AP in the upcoming elections.  Now I may again choose not to bother my arse voting.

What Anna is advocating is nothing more than democracy. If a majority of people in the north want a UI, then that should happen, by consent as she says.

Might impact on yer one in East Belfast though come election time.

imtommygunn

I find it hard to understand why lo made those comments. I wonder what long thinks of them?

Unless it is a deliberate attempt to get catholic votes? I think it will lose them votes - a lot of them.

Story of the week and not billy hutchinson who is a disgusting man and should suffer some consequences i'd have thought for his comments? ( i.e kicked out of party) again shows how unaccountable our politicians are.

Tubberman

Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2014, 08:21:24 AM

What Anna is advocating is nothing more than democracy. If a majority of people in the north want a UI, then that should happen, by consent as she says.

From the outside looking in, it's a sad 'state' of affairs when a politician in a democracy causes controversy by stating if the majority of people vote for something, it should happen.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2014, 08:45:10 AM
I find it hard to understand why lo made those comments. I wonder what long thinks of them?

Unless it is a deliberate attempt to get catholic votes? I think it will lose them votes - a lot of them.

Story of the week and not billy hutchinson who is a disgusting man and should suffer some consequences i'd have thought for his comments? ( i.e kicked out of party) again shows how unaccountable our politicians are.

Why shouldnt she have made the comments. As I stated earlier 4/7 Alliance votes come from Catholics and maybe the majority of those catholics are Pro-union but they are not exactly going to be dead against a United Ireland either. Changing demographics and the fact that this European election already has a number of so called Unionist voices it might not be such a stupid move after all and might eat into Attwoods vote seeing as Attwood is already pretty good at turning voters off. Naomi has allready lost the flegger vote in East Belfast following the flag decision so I dont see how this can further damage her. A moderate Unionist in East Belfast should have the sense to realise she still stated that Northern Ireland will remain in the UK as long as the people here wish so hardly earth shattering stuff despite all the faux outrage from Unionism. Its also a smart move considering the make up of her South Belfast constituency with a number of her voters being of the pale green variety this being confirmed when huge numbers lend their votes to McDonnell in the Westminster election. Alliance have been defacto unionist right from the start and apart from Longs win in 2010 (a victory heavily influenced by all Robinsons scandals) they have failed to make any breakthrough so maybe its time to have a different approach.

imtommygunn

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on March 21, 2014, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2014, 08:45:10 AM

Why shouldnt she have made the comments. As I stated earlier 4/7 Alliance votes come from Catholics and maybe the majority of those catholics are Pro-union but they are not exactly going to be dead against a United Ireland either. Changing demographics and the fact that this European election already has a number of so called Unionist voices it might not be such a stupid move after all and might eat into Attwoods vote seeing as Attwood is already pretty good at turning voters off. Naomi has allready lost the flegger vote in East Belfast following the flag decision so I dont see how this can further damage her. A moderate Unionist in East Belfast should have the sense to realise she still stated that Northern Ireland will remain in the UK as long as the people here wish so hardly earth shattering stuff despite all the faux outrage from Unionism. Its also a smart move considering the make up of her South Belfast constituency with a number of her voters being of the pale green variety this being confirmed when huge numbers lend their votes to McDonnell in the Westminster election. Alliance have been defacto unionist right from the start and apart from Longs win in 2010 (a victory heavily influenced by all Robinsons scandals) they have failed to make any breakthrough so maybe its time to have a different approach.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with her comments. 4/7 leaves 3/7 still to get. Will they still get the 3/7?  Maybe you're right and the moderate unionist, which is their vote base, will see her comments make perfect sense.

Did Lo consciously think about this is what I wonder and if she did then is Long ok with it and are they trying to target more catholic voters?

Anyone unionist with any sense given the vileness that has come from the DUP, PUP and UUP since the flag debacle would vote for them.

OakleafCounty

I voted for them as first preference in the last election and I see no reason why I shouldn't have! Though they only picked up 300 votes in Foyle as the whole is sown up here.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on March 21, 2014, 09:05:51 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on March 21, 2014, 08:21:24 AM

From the outside looking in, it's a sad 'state' of affairs when a politician in a democracy causes controversy by stating if the majority of people vote for something, it should happen.
The main reason for the hysterical reaction is not that she says 'it should happen if people vote for it', but that she had the temerity to openly state her view that Irish reunification should happen, that it is a good idea, that it makes sense and that partition was artificial and colonial (bang on the button, Anna).
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

armaghniac

QuoteDid Lo consciously think about this is what I wonder and if she did then is Long ok with it and are they trying to target more catholic voters?

Catholic voters are on the increase.

The main point about Lo's comments is that if a United Ireland is a good idea, which is obvious, what is she doing to bring it about? The other point is that if nationalists can actually come up with a plan, of which there is no evidence whatsoever, there is a "middle ground" who can agree to a UI. The success of plan relies on economics as much as anything else and these is not the slightest scintilla of evidence that the likes of SF have recognised this.

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2014, 10:24:21 AM
QuoteDid Lo consciously think about this is what I wonder and if she did then is Long ok with it and are they trying to target more catholic voters?

The main point about Lo's comments is that if a United Ireland is a good idea, which is obvious, what is she doing to bring it about? The other point is that if nationalists can actually come up with a plan, of which there is no evidence whatsoever, there is a "middle ground" who can agree to a UI. The success of plan relies on economics as much as anything else and these is not the slightest scintilla of evidence that the likes of SF have recognised this.

Scottish independence is the same. There's too much romantic notion and not enough detail on the finer day to day things.

These things can't happen overnight and if they do without thought they would be a disaster.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2014, 10:31:35 AM

Scottish independence is the same. There's too much romantic notion and not enough detail on the finer day to day things.

These things can't happen overnight and if they do without thought they would be a disaster.

However, Salmond has been practical enough to attend to the details and not just the romance. He may not succeed, but it will be pretty close. The Northern Ireland situation is more complex, but the late  Baron Ballyedmond did more for an UI than most because he made NI an economic proposition. 

I hope, in a decade or so, that a Salmond type figure emerges in NI.

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on March 21, 2014, 10:59:34 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 21, 2014, 10:31:35 AM

However, Salmond has been practical enough to attend to the details and not just the romance. He may not succeed, but it will be pretty close. The Northern Ireland situation is more complex, but the late  Baron Ballyedmond did more for an UI than most because he made NI an economic proposition. 

I hope, in a decade or so, that a Salmond type figure emerges in NI.

Has Salmond really attended to the details though? He has made a few bloopers to suggest he hasn't attended to all the details. The currency thing was a farce on his part.